E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Frustrated with Wifey's driving style or lack of!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 08:45 AM
ADD
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. Take a deep breath.

Now, I don't know how I did it, but I have my wife trained for specifically that problem when parking.

She understands that with the M-tech bumper it will rub on the curb stops.

The problem now is that she'll park the car so far away from it, she leaves the a$$ end hanging out!

Just can't win. She even enjoys the manual tranny, so it's more of a joy ride to her than the fact that she needs to drive it.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:06 AM
Contributors

Raj-
Honestly the best way to teach her the lesson is to make her buy her own e60. When she wrecks it, doesnt maintain it, and trashes the car it will be on her to fix! My parents always told me anything i buy on my own i will ALWAYS treat with more respect because i understand how much time, money, and effort goes into it! Let her buy a car and run it into the ground and when she gets the bills to fix it you can look at her with a smile and say see why i got so upset. When a women is spoiled and taken care of for so long they began to take things for granted, trust me!

Another thing that i do to avoid the parking stops is i always back into the space. Its much easier and if this doesnt work how hard is it to get out and check how much farther you can pull forward?? Better to be safe than sorry!! When im parking at night its so hard to see because of the tinted windows, i always either roll my window down or open the door. Maybe some driving tips and some easy pointers like this could solve a lot of the worthless strain on your marriage!!

Hope everything works out for you and the fam!

Originally Posted by jjtitus' post='828257' date='Mar 27 2009, 11:38 AM
I think alot of you are way over board with your cars. Sure they are nice cars, but they are just that, CARS. When it comes between a relationship and you have fights over the car, then you have some problems and should probably seek counseling. Cars can always be fixed, but sometimes things you say to your wife,, or husband, can't be taken back. i don't know, just my two cents. My wife scraped the front of my bumper on one of those parking curbs too, but you know, its not that big of a deal, it can always be fixed...
+100
Old 03-27-2009, 09:14 AM
Contributors

Sorry to hear your frustration. No one is perfect, just make sure you keep things in perspective and look at the big picture. My relationship with my wife is more important to me than a car or anything else for that matter. Where is the respect, love, forgiveness....

I posted this awhile ago:

My wife's X3 is covered with little "things", a bump here, a scratch there, a bit of curb rash, spilled coffee inside. It doesn't bother me at all anymore and here's why - we have an agreement:

She does not drive my car, period.....and I get to drive whatever I want

In exchange:
1. I am not to EVER mention the condition of her car or her driving.
2. If it comes home with damage that requires repair, I simply provide her with a rental car and get it repaired without saying one damn word.
3. If the car requires anything - from washer fluid to air in the tires (and sometimes even gas!), I must anticipate this and ensure she never has to suffer the trauma of having to see the low washer fluid light come on for example.

It's a perfect arrangement, no more conflict. And besides, because I love my wife I would do all that for her anyway, but this way I get my own, never to be shared M5! Good deal IMO.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:17 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Alpine White Girl' post='828280' date='Mar 27 2009, 01:06 PM
Raj-
Honestly the best way to teach her the lesson is to make her buy her own e60. When she wrecks it, doesnt maintain it, and trashes the car it will be on her to fix! My parents always told me anything i buy on my own i will ALWAYS treat with more respect because i understand how much time, money, and effort goes into it! Let her buy a car and run it into the ground and when she gets the bills to fix it you can look at her with a smile and say see why i got so upset. When a women is spoiled and taken care of for so long they began to take things for granted, trust me!

Another thing that i do to avoid the parking stops is i always back into the space. Its much easier and if this doesnt work how hard is it to get out and check how much farther you can pull forward?? Better to be safe than sorry!! When im parking at night its so hard to see because of the tinted windows, i always either roll my window down or open the door. Maybe some driving tips and some easy pointers like this could solve a lot of the worthless strain on your marriage!!

Hope everything works out for you and the fam!
Thank you so much. I needed this sort of endorsement from a female. That has been my feeling all along. Even though she say's she appreciates it, Mommy and now Hubby has always taken care of everything so its just taken care of.
I questioned her the other day, why is it that people all around her are trying so hard to do things to please her or make it easy for her? Her response was a classic, "I guess I have been blessed with people around me that care and love me a lot".
That was hilarious!!!
Raj
Old 03-27-2009, 10:54 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BigRevKev' post='828171' date='Mar 27 2009, 11:21 AM
What do you tell a woman with 2 black eyes?

Nothing.
You've already told her twice.
LOL!!
Chris Brown style
Old 03-27-2009, 11:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 - 530i Sport, Auto, Alpine White, Dark Poplar, Beige Dakota w/ Comfort Seats, Cold Weather Package (yeah I know I live in SC, but I love it on my back after a long day of golf), Logic 7, Parking Assist, & Auto Sunshade.

I have the same issues but with my kids. My wife is pretty much the same way with her SUV, thank God it is tough and can take a beating. But the kids are just used to throwing thier soccer bags, musical instruments, etc in the door of her SUV before they jump in. Now that I just got this newer e60 I am always telling my daughter to be careful how she puts her soccer bag in or watch what she is banging her clarinet on. She looks at me like I am nuts. The other night after her soccer game I put some towels on the floor in addition to the BMW all weather floormats that never leave there and one on the seat before I would let her in with wet and muddy outfit.

Last week my daughter drug her rolling book bag out of the trunk in front of the shool while I was behind the wheel and drug it across the trunk threshold, I could just tell even from in the car that it had scuffed across the painted lip of the bumper. Sure enough I got home and saw this black stripe across the white ledge of the trunk. You can imagine my daughter heard about it when she got home. I am sure it just confimed that I am insane in her mind.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 530i 87 325is 85 VW GTI

My fiance used to think i was crazy when it came to cars until i stopped caring about her car. I finally stopped telling her to get an oil change, clean the leather before it stains, wash the wheels every week, be careful when parking, etc. Six months later her car was a complete pile of crap and she no longer wanted it. She no longer questions me when i tell her to do something cause she now realizes i'm right. Now she just hands me money to do it and enjoys the fact her car looks and works as it should.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:55 PM
TMQ
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i: Silver/Black/Light Wood, ZPP, ZCW, STEP, Comfort Seat, Heated Rear Seat, PDC, Xenon, Nav, iPod. 35% ceramic tint, VentureShield clear bra.

5 cars? That's a bit too much.

Many women are not good with cars, to the same extent that some men are not good with house cleanliness. Just get her a Toyota/Lexus SUV. They'll like it better for the ride height, and there will be fewer things to break.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

It's just a car, it's fixable and you're over-reacting. How your wife chooses treats her car is absolutely 100% her business. Kids make a mess in your car. That's what they do. Not everyone feels the same way about their car as we do. Sorry, but you make it sound like your wife is an employee or somehow owes you for "providing" her with a car... She's your wife. Your only responsibility is to love and accept her for how she is and who she is. From your post and your suggestion that you told her "you want the car back", I think you may want to rethink some priorities...
Old 03-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Originally Posted by 968turboS' post='828142' date='Mar 27 2009, 07:46 AM
I will post some pictures of the two cars. I love her but hate her habits . No plans on leaving her, she is an attorney and I would be royally screwed .
She's an attorney?? And she hasn't figured out a legal way to sue somebody for building the parking stop too high??? It DOES remind me of a great line by the late Rodney Dangerfield......

His wife drove her car into a tree, but she said it wasn't HER fault as she blew the horn!!

Good Luck with you situation Raj!!

Quick Reply: Frustrated with Wifey's driving style or lack of!!