E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Front License Plate Pullover

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by .:reza:.' post='935267' date='Jul 7 2009, 01:38 PM
Imagine you get in a car accident and the other person leaves the scene maybe someone will have the chance to get a glimpse of the front plate . if he didn't have a front plate they would not have that opportunity .

Same situation for bank robbers and other forms of crime. It allows civilians and police to have a chance to get the plate number from the front of the car rather than just the rear.
Unless the suspect is driving backwards to flee the area, your story makes no sense.
If the witness misses the front plates they can easily see the rears and apparently 70% of other states in the USA have no problems doing this as well.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

I got pulled over yesterday for no front plate. The cop realized I wasn't some young punk and let me go. Gotta love it.
Old 07-07-2009, 11:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530XI | Black leather interior | Cold weather Package | Premium Package Exterior - M-tech kit / ACS roof spoiler / ACS trunk spoiler / Tinted Tail Lights / 20% Window tint / Matte black grills / Black roundels / Shadowline trim / 8000k headlights / 8000k foglights / LED License plate bulbs Suspension- H&R Sport Springs

New York Laws Suck!
Old 07-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Joe06' post='935372' date='Jul 7 2009, 03:04 PM
New York Laws Suck!
NJ has the same plate law - maybe we need to push for electronic tags and eliminate external plate completely.

Of course the drop off in sales of high power LED plate lamps, CF license plate frames, all those nuts and bolts no longer needed, might cause the collapse of businesses and thousands of job losses ???
Old 07-07-2009, 11:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 535i M-Sport, Carbon Black Metallic/Natural Brown

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='935388' date='Jul 7 2009, 03:12 PM
NJ has the same plate law - maybe we need to push for electronic tags and eliminate external plate completely.

Of course the drop off in sales of high power LED plate lamps, CF license plate frames, all those nuts and bolts no longer needed, might cause the collapse of businesses and thousands of job losses ???

HA! Yeah. Grew up in Maryland just south of the mason dixon line of Pennsylvania/MD border. Man, was so jealous of those PA drivers that didn't need front plates.

I think it's an antiquated law. So many states don't require it. If there was such a compelling need, those states likely would have changed back over to requiring front plates. But of course, in today's day and age, no legislator (especially not our esteemed and sophomoric NY state legislators) will go out on a limb to remove any form of registration/requirement. Hell, someone would probably cite the Patriot Act or 9/11 . . .
Old 07-07-2009, 11:41 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by pininfarina' post='935396' date='Jul 7 2009, 12:23 PM
HA! Yeah. Grew up in Maryland just south of the mason dixon line of Pennsylvania/MD border. Man, was so jealous of those PA drivers that didn't need front plates.

I think it's an antiquated law. So many states don't require it. If there was such a compelling need, those states likely would have changed back over to requiring front plates. But of course, in today's day and age, no legislator (especially not our esteemed and sophomoric NY state legislators) will go out on a limb to remove any form of registration/requirement. Hell, someone would probably cite the Patriot Act or 9/11 . . .

Not just New York, we have a front plate requirement in Cali too, but it's just a $10 "fix-it" ticket if you don't have one. It's just not worth the hassle, I hate getting pulled over. At least we don't have the Safety Inspection every year (of course if you saw some of the crappy cars here on the roads you'd wish we did)
Old 07-07-2009, 11:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i, 1984 Mercedes Gelandewagen

Originally Posted by pininfarina' post='935260' date='Jul 7 2009, 10:34 AM
So I do. I friggin HATE U.S. front license plates. How many times can one get away with such a yarn? Any experience (or better stories) out there?
At least the [stock] front bumper has a place for the plate. The Toyota Prius gets one screwed in at the dealer with what looks like gigantic wood screws - it tears up the front bumper. Once the frame is on, you don't even want to take it off to see the front bumper with its new mangled appearance.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by .:reza:.' post='935267' date='Jul 7 2009, 10:38 AM
Imagine you get in a car accident and the other person leaves the scene maybe someone will have the chance to get a glimpse of the front plate . if he didn't have a front plate they would not have that opportunity .

Same situation for bank robbers and other forms of crime. It allows civilians and police to have a chance to get the plate number from the front of the car rather than just the rear.
The primary reason for front plate enforcement is for traffic control via high-speed traffic cams and the like. A front mounted plate is far easier to photograph and capture than the rear. There is a requirement stipulating that a driver must be identifiable within the traffic cam picture. Zoomed in photographs of the driver, along with photographs showing the front profile with plate, are dificult to dispute in court. And in these tough economic times, don't be surprised to see other states/jurisdictions enacting/enforcing no front plate laws.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, E90 M3 Sedan. Alpine White.Competition package, Keyhole cover, fender reflectors in Alpine white, RPI Exhaust, 19

Calton did you blow them kisses again? lol
Old 07-07-2009, 01:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i Production date: 02/04 Color: Black Sapphire Metallic Trim: Anthracite Options: Sport package with STEPTRONIC, Premium Sound, Rear Sunshade, Xenon

Originally Posted by .:reza:.' post='935267' date='Jul 7 2009, 12:38 PM

Quick Reply: Front License Plate Pullover