E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Front License Plate Bracket

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 05:58 PM
Rez
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2021 BMW 540i XDrive Bluestone Metallic on Ivory White Napa Leather. Packages: Executive, M Sport, Parking Assistance, Luxury Seating, Shadowline. Options: M Sport Brakes with Blue Calipers, Body Color Rocker Panel Blades and Spoiler, Heated Steering
Model Year: 2021

I took my car to the dealer for a couple of things to be checked out. Texas has the requirement to install the front license plate along with the rear, and my new license plates arrived in the mail too. So I asked the service guy if they could install the license plates for me. He let me know that I need a front license plate bracket that costs $75! Since my car is Alpine White, I asked him if it is available in white, but he told me that they only come in black. He also let me know that if I want, I can pay $75 for it to be painted White.

I am wondering....

1. Why did BMW not provide a front license plate bracket to comply with the law here? (I got my car used which was driven in another state)

2. Is the $75 for the bracket merely a rip off?

3. Does painting the bracket to the body color dramatically change the appearance of the vehicle? If it does, is $75 a reasonable price to get it painted? Are there sny alternatives?
Old 11-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

I believe BMW complied since mine came w/ it in my trunk when I picked up my car new from my dealer and it was painted too and the dealer nice enough to asked & confirmed if it was OK to install it since they have to drill the bumper.

So I'm pretty sure at least the 1st owner got it ... as far as price ... go mail order it from a different dealer that give discount at least there are 2 or 3 that are popular in this forum ... search up

The different in color will probably visible more on the side view, from the front it'll look like a thin black frame around the plate maybe.

Originally Posted by Rez
[...]

1. Why did BMW not provide a front license plate bracket to comply with the law here? (I got my car used which was driven in another state)

3. Does painting the bracket to the body color dramatically change the appearance of the vehicle? If it does, is $75 a reasonable price to get it painted? Are there sny alternatives?
[...]
Old 11-26-2011, 07:09 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by Rez
I took my car to the dealer for a couple of things to be checked out. Texas has the requirement to install the front license plate along with the rear, and my new license plates arrived in the mail too. So I asked the service guy if they could install the license plates for me. He let me know that I need a front license plate bracket that costs $75! Since my car is Alpine White, I asked him if it is available in white, but he told me that they only come in black. He also let me know that if I want, I can pay $75 for it to be painted White.

I am wondering....

Agree with the previous post - the license plate bracket comes with the car brand new. The original owner didn't include it when he/she sold the car.

$75 for the bracket is definitely a ripoff. I have a brand new, unpainted license plate bracket available - PM me if you are interested.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550i - Sport Package, Sport Transmission, Active Steering, Navigation, Comfort Access, 7 Logic Stereo

$75?! How much would the ticket be?
Old 11-27-2011, 06:11 AM
Rez
Members

My Ride: 2021 BMW 540i XDrive Bluestone Metallic on Ivory White Napa Leather. Packages: Executive, M Sport, Parking Assistance, Luxury Seating, Shadowline. Options: M Sport Brakes with Blue Calipers, Body Color Rocker Panel Blades and Spoiler, Heated Steering
Model Year: 2021

Originally Posted by gcvt
$75?! How much would the ticket be?
Not sure how much the ticket is, but on the long run having a front bracket installed is going to pay off for sure! I will have to negotiate with the SA at the dealer to see if he can work on the damage a bit. I think the $75 for the bracket includes labor for installation too. Then another $75 to get it painted. A lame $150?
Old 11-27-2011, 10:49 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Yes, that does sound lame. Just cut the front license plate to show the plate numbers/letters, drill two holes in the plate and mount them on the bottom grille. I saw a member that did this, and it actually looks spiffy -- if you must have front plate.

Otherwise get retractable license plate!