E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Front Control Arm Bushings - 550i

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 11:47 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

x2. I totally recommend replacing whole arms! Had my control arms replaced...both joints had play. The bushing on both arms were cracked. One arm, the ball-joint was so loose it flexed in any direction without pulling back. The car will handle much better, and will take road bumps much nicer, less harsh bumps.

Originally Posted by toyota2bmw
I highly recommend buying new arms versus replacing the bushing only. The arms have a ball-joint on the other end which also wear and become very loose. When I was installing the arms, I compared the condition of the ball joint from new to old and it wasn't even a contest. The new ones are nice and stiff and took some effort to twist where as the old ones were very twirly.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by itb76
Replacement of a control arm calls for an alignment I would think. If the $600 includes that it's not a bad price, considering dealer shop labor rates.
Agree with you on the pricing if it includes one, but under normal circumstances an alignment isn't needed. You're not affecting ride height, steering angles, etc., all you're doing is swapping in one fixed part with no adjustments for an identical part. You can also do a couple other arm/ball joint/bushing replacements without affecting alignment. Unless it was out to begin with, the car's alignment won't be out after the job. Note that I'm not saying it wouldn't necessarily be a good idea to do at that mileage.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:50 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

BMW calls for an alignment anytime you do suspension. I Have replaced the bushings in many vehicles and if you're not swapping out tie rod ends your alignment will not be thrown out of spec. That price is ridiculous to replace front bushings alone. You can do the front and rear suspension arms with bushings with better than OEM components for that price yourself INCLUDING a KDS laser alignment. I did a DIY on the front a month or so ago.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:37 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
BMW calls for an alignment anytime you do suspension. I Have replaced the bushings in many vehicles and if you're not swapping out tie rod ends your alignment will not be thrown out of spec. That price is ridiculous to replace front bushings alone. You can do the front and rear suspension arms with bushings with better than OEM components for that price yourself INCLUDING a KDS laser alignment. I did a DIY on the front a month or so ago.
What control arms did you use and from where? any DIY tips? thx.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 535xi Sport
Model Year: 2009

Originally Posted by healthservices
Pricing is not bad. Are they including a 4 wheel alignment too?
I've done this job a number of times on E39 5ers and never did an alignment unless the tie rod ends were swapped.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:57 AM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Originally Posted by twobeemers
I've done this job a number of times on E39 5ers and never did an alignment unless the tie rod ends were swapped.
+1 However, these are E60 equipped with Active Steering and Dynamic Drive so although I agree with you, it could throw the computer off a bit....even if temporarily. If you need it, you need it. If not then you dont.

OP - I posted a DIY on this in the DIY section.

The following have always been a good supplier of parts for me at great prices and good I can say great quality under the stress tests i've done. A+

eBay users: autolampsplus , autopropartner, anhautoparts, domcarr2010

Old 02-12-2011, 03:51 PM
Members

My Ride: Silver 545i loaded, Sport

I just was told by the dealer that I need to replace my lower control arm bushings. I took it in because I felt a shake in the front end when I was going down a hill and I applied the brakes. It was a slight shake almost not noticeable but it was there. I also my steering wheel is slightly turned to the right when I go straight. If this is a control arm problem could someone point me to a DIY for the repair?
Old 02-13-2011, 05:59 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

Replacing the thrust rods might or might not fix the shaking when braking (could be warped brake discs). Replacing the thrust rods and/or control arms will not straighten the steering wheel...you need an alignment.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:26 AM
Members

My Ride: Silver 545i loaded, Sport

Just had the brakes done. They replaced the rotors. The dealer said the steering wheel is off because of the bushings.