E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Front Control Arm Bushings - 550i

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 03:41 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer claims my front control arm bushings are:

- he said loose once
- said they were leaking once
- had play in them.

Said they were hydraulic should be replaced.

I have 64k miles on my 2007 550i. It is CPO, but these are wear and tear...so he quoted me $600.

I dont have any symptoms so it seemed out of the blue to me.

Is this a known issue? I am not happy to spend $600 on this given the car only has 64k miles. They cannot design a car to last at least 100k miles?? Come on.

I saw a few topics in the DIY but they were quite different.

Advice here?
Old 12-16-2010, 04:59 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

worn bushings may cause clunking noise when hitting bumps, or the car may wander when moving.
supposedly the bushings have fluid in them and leak when they go bad.

600 seeems cheap for a dealer to replace those. maybe they are taking you for a ride...
Old 12-16-2010, 05:15 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

It's not hard to see if you have worn-out control arm bushings. Next time you are there, have them show you while they have the car on the lift. If the arms are as bad as they are making it out to be, they'll be able to push/pull/twist them and the effect of it should be visibly apparent.

My driver-side one had a very small crack it in (@70K miles) but it still didn't have any play or felt loose or was noisy over bumps nor was it leaking. I did swap them both (not just the bushings but entire arms) as a preventive maintenance as I was planning on installing coilovers. If they are quoting you $600 to replace just the bushings, they are robbing you. The bushings are ~$80-100 each and they can be easily pressed in and out of the arms with a hydraulic press so you do the math.

I did the replacement of both control arms in my garage with 2 beer breaks in about 90 minutes with help from a buddy of mine. It's not hard at all.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:19 PM
Contributors

It seems to me that even a BMW should have more durable suspension components UNLESS they are saying that the bushings were damaged by accident or wear was accelerated by similar circumstance - like auto-crossing or racing. We all know that BMW drivers are habitual abusers of their rides.

That said, I'd ask for an audience with the BMWNA rep who works your area and at the very least BMW cover parts or labor or both because of the age and mileage of the car. UNLESS they can prove YOUR driving damaged the bushings prematurely ... or were they excessively worn when the car was CPO'ed but the issue wasn't disclosed as is required in the CPO inspection.

IMHO ... but then I tend to expect a lot when we pay a lot for our cars!!
Old 12-17-2010, 04:53 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If we are talking here about upper control arm bushings, I disagree with the folks here. The e60 is a heavy car, and those bushings take a beating. If left unattended, you'll likely start feeling slop, or quite possibly a shimmy, particularly under braking. The $600, from a dealer, doesn't strike me as too excessive, although it is something that could be done yourself - just be careful to get the preload right or you'll be doing it again in 10k miles.

I do wonder whether there are stronger bushings available that will fit the control arm, such as those from the M5, for example.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:00 AM
Members

Originally Posted by toyota2bmw
It's not hard to see if you have worn-out control arm bushings. Next time you are there, have them show you while they have the car on the lift. If the arms are as bad as they are making it out to be, they'll be able to push/pull/twist them and the effect of it should be visibly apparent.

My driver-side one had a very small crack it in (@70K miles) but it still didn't have any play or felt loose or was noisy over bumps nor was it leaking. I did swap them both (not just the bushings but entire arms) as a preventive maintenance as I was planning on installing coilovers. If they are quoting you $600 to replace just the bushings, they are robbing you. The bushings are ~$80-100 each and they can be easily pressed in and out of the arms with a hydraulic press so you do the math.

I did the replacement of both control arms in my garage with 2 beer breaks in about 90 minutes with help from a buddy of mine. It's not hard at all.

I saw your DIY and it appeared you replaced the entire control arm? I saw another DIY where they replaced the bushings, but they required a hydraulic press to take out and replace the bushings. Kinda silly if the entire control arm isnt that much $$.

It sounded like the force to break the bolts free was the most difficult part (especially with the car jacked up...not the most stable). Maybe an electric wrench I could rent? Or I do have a large air compressor and could potentially rent an air gun. Never have rented one previously.

You also added this comment "Word of caution doing yours. If you still have the stock struts, you will have to allow a bit more time for this DIY. The reason being because the stock struts are much longer through the collar on the hub, you will NOT have sufficient room to pull out the arm after you get the nut loose. You will need to undo the big 18mm nut/bolt combination behind the collar to drop the hub before the arm can be taken out. I know, it's a bitch but it is what it is.". that sounds much more difficult.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:37 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jm545i
I do wonder whether there are stronger bushings available that will fit the control arm, such as those from the M5, for example.
Just to answer my own question - no per realoem. M5 bushings are the same.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:55 AM
Members

Just to answer my own question - no per realoem. M5 bushings are the same.
In realoem, is the bushing #12:31120305612 $98?
and therefore the entire control arm is #11 LEFT tension strut WITH RUBBER MOUNTING 1 31126774825 $244.62

Buying two OEM replacements would be basically $500.

So my dealer is charging $600 for two bushings (that I can buy for $200 total, you know they pay less). Say 3 hrs labor @ $80.hr, that is $240+200=$440. Which is very pessimistic, but they still charge $600.

After market control arms?
Old 12-17-2010, 07:08 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by SmithsonGA
In realoem, is the bushing #12:31120305612 $98?
and therefore the entire control arm is #11 LEFT tension strut WITH RUBBER MOUNTING 1 31126774825 $244.62

Buying two OEM replacements would be basically $500.

So my dealer is charging $600 for two bushings (that I can buy for $200 total, you know they pay less). Say 3 hrs labor @ $80.hr, that is $240+200=$440. Which is very pessimistic, but they still charge $600.

After market control arms?
I wouldn't. Maybe non-dealer source for OEM control arms

Try a competitive dealer - see if they quote you a different price for the entire job, ask them why the hell it's costing so much. I guess I'm used to paying NY prices, because the $600 didn't slap me in the face.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:36 AM
Contributors

I wouldn't. Maybe non-dealer source for OEM control arms

Try a competitive dealer - see if they quote you a different price for the entire job, ask them why the hell it's costing so much. I guess I'm used to paying NY prices, because the $600 didn't slap me in the face.
As odd as it might seem buying new control arms w/bushings installed might actually be cheaper overall than having new bushings pressed into your old parts. Probably a flat-rate price chart situation when you add the labor to remove the bushings and press in new ones. Rather than straight out swapping of the complete arm /bushing. Have you shopped for a dealer special coupon. e.g. My dealer just sent me a 24% discount coupon good for any service or repair if I bring in canned food for their food drive.

Quick Reply: Front Control Arm Bushings - 550i