E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Found a new Option in I-drive for USA

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 07:15 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport Package - Alpine White/Blk Nasca Leather, Premium hi-fi system, Sat Radio, Nav, Cold Weather Package, Value Package, Shift Paddles, Comfort Access keyless entry, Power rear Sunshade, Front Ventilated seats, Split fold-down rear seats, Heated rear seats, Automatic high beams

I was messing around with the Idrive and found how to activate "traffic info"

I went to car settings-communication-update service. Before the update the "traffic info" box was grayed out. After the update it was checked (orange check mark).

Now under car settings I have a new Menu for Traffic Info. I select it and check the box for "Traffic Info".

Now when I go to Navigation I have a extra tab "Traffic". I select it and it says no messages. I guess the way this works is by setting a destination on Nav and if there is traffic on the route I would get a message.

I have done this update in the past and no additional items were ever added. So this is something new.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:18 AM
Senior Members

Sounds exactly how TMC works in Europe. Good stuff.
Old 07-30-2004, 07:47 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by browellm' date='Jul 30 2004, 05:18 PM
Sounds exactly how TMC works in Europe. Good stuff.
That's what we call TMC. They have it through BMW Assist, I guess.

If you are in Europe and have BMW Assist activated, there is the option to chose Traffic info plus, instead of TMC. So we have two options, and the USA only has the BMW ASSist option, I guess...
Old 07-30-2004, 07:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 2010 550i M Sport Package - Alpine White/Blk Nasca Leather, Premium hi-fi system, Sat Radio, Nav, Cold Weather Package, Value Package, Shift Paddles, Comfort Access keyless entry, Power rear Sunshade, Front Ventilated seats, Split fold-down rear seats, Heated rear seats, Automatic high beams

Iceman, browellm,

Do you guys know in theory how the one with the BMW Assist Option is supposed to work?
Old 07-30-2004, 08:00 AM
Senior Members

I still don't think you can get BMW Assist in the UK, Iceman
Old 07-30-2004, 08:07 AM
JDN
Contributors

Originally Posted by Mercy' date='Jul 30 2004, 10:15 AM
I was messing around with the Idrive and found how to activate "traffic info"
I tried your procedure and briefly had the Traffic Info option, but it disappeared about as soon as I activated a destination. I also only got four blocks on the menu when I was updating the service, so I may have to try again.

Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-30-2004, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Mercy' date='Jul 30 2004, 05:59 PM
Iceman, browellm,

Do you guys know in theory how the one with the BMW Assist Option is supposed to work?
AFAIK:
When you set a destination in the nav the car checks with BMW Assist for traffic jams and other problems on your route. The system will update this infos automatically every 10 minutes untill the destination is reached.

Sorry, browellm... I don't know about UK, so lets say: Over here in Europe, in those countrys who have BMW Assist,...
Old 07-30-2004, 08:23 AM
Contributors

I know dealers in the UK have the forms to use the Internet option on the five and there is a pre-requisite that you have BMW assist with Vodafone or T-mobile phone provider. I did not sign up as I am on Orange and could be bothered to change it.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:45 AM
Members

JDN,

The update for me took like 5 minutes and that bars moved slowly until it was full.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:49 AM
Contributors

I've updated in the past, but this time it gets to about 4 bars, and then times out with a message that the 'servise could not be activated' (that's the spelling, also).

I'm going to go crazy trying to update until I get this.

james

Quick Reply: Found a new Option in I-drive for USA