E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fold Down Rear Seat

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 01:59 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is anyone one ever having a trouble trying to fold down the rear seat?
I've read the manual book from the BMW. it says there that we can unlock the rear seat from the trunk, so we can fold it down. but when I open the trunk, the small things (things to unlock the rear seat) which supposed to be there is not even there. Does it mean that only certain e60 can fold down their rear seat?
thx guys..
Old 02-07-2007, 02:02 PM
Senior Members

You have to have the rear folding seat option in order for the rear seat to fold down, so yes, only certain E60's can do this.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:32 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Yoko' post='388494' date='Feb 7 2007, 05:59 PM
I've read the manual book from the BMW. it says there that we can unlock the rear seat from the trunk, so we can fold it down. but when I open the trunk, the small things (things to unlock the rear seat) which supposed to be there is not even there. Does it mean that only certain e60 can fold down their rear seat?
thx guys..
Did you order the folding seat option?
Old 02-07-2007, 03:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 640D MSPORT GT

unfortunately not by the look of it,simple job at factory and reall not much of a parts cost difference when they build it......but a no go expensive job at refit.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by Yoko' post='388494' date='Feb 7 2007, 05:59 PM
thx guys..
It's an option. I have them on mine. There are two black handles on the top portion of the inside of the trunk with little diagrams showing the release of the seat. If you don't have this option, you won't have the handles. An aftermarket option though is a chainsaw.
Old 02-07-2007, 04:10 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cmansbimmer' post='388557' date='Feb 7 2007, 08:09 PM
An aftermarket option though is a chainsaw.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:28 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by cmansbimmer' post='388557' date='Feb 7 2007, 05:09 PM
It's an option. I have them on mine. There are two black handles on the top portion of the inside of the trunk with little diagrams showing the release of the seat. If you don't have this option, you won't have the handles. An aftermarket option though is a chainsaw.
I don't think I have that option though. :thumbsdown:
Do you think its possible to install that option in my car now?
and Does it affect the comfort of the rear seat if I install it?
Old 02-08-2007, 12:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

Depending on how seriously you want a fold down rear seat or how often you would use it:
As has been said, a retrofit is not really a cost effective option, as it means a new seat back.
However, if you are prepared, then to remove the seat back is an easy job, and would only take a few minutes, but it's not something you would want to do often.
You remove the rear seat base with just a pull upwards. Then undo a couple of bolts next to the seat belt mountings. Get a screwdriver and use it to lever the two catches open from inside the boot (trunk). The seat back will then pull out!
I would think that the seat back catches are almost identical with the ones used for the Fold Down option, but without the operating handles, hence the use of a screwdriver through the slots. There are locating pegs for the seat back on the bottom of the back, at each side of the car. I haven't seriously looked at it, but there may be a way of making a hinge system from there and the original mounting bolt points to make this job easier. I don't know how the Fold Down option avoids the problem of having the centre seat belt in place and restricting the load area either.
This sort of thing would cost pennies extra if it was designed in from conception, but that would be too simple wouldn't it? Perhaps its just another way of getting more money out of us customers, or maybe the designer just forgot about it!
Old 02-08-2007, 08:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 e60 Titanium grey Auburn premium Sport 6-speed Logic-7 folding rear seats with ski bag Bi-xenon Cold weather package

Slightly off topic, but don't you thick it's ridiculus that in order to get the ski pass through you must get the folddown seats?
Old 02-08-2007, 09:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

I do not think its worth it the order them later.

Must be very expensive.

Quick Reply: Fold Down Rear Seat