E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Fog Lights and Rain Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 10:17 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i / Black Sapphire / Premium / Navigation / Bluetooth / PDC / USB Audio Integration / 6 Speed Sport Automatic with Steptronic / Logic 7 / Comfort Access / Auto Folding Mirrors / Comfort Seats / Rear Heated Seats / 35% Tint All Around / Black Dakota Leather

1) Re: Deer: Night Vision perhaps? Is there a retrofit for that?

2) Re: Fog lights (visibility): We had very thick fog in Toronto (and GTA region) last night. Near zero visibility at times. My fog lights (they are stock) did not seem to improve vision at all. I compared visibility with them turned on and with them turned off.

3) Re: Fog lights (staying on): I would have really liked that feature for the front fog lights. I had it in my E39. I know that you don't "need" to use fog lights all the time, but it looks nice. Just like we don't "need" an E60, but we want it and love it.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by exx1976' post='790860
3) Re: Fog lights (staying on): I would have really liked that feature for the front fog lights. I had it in my E39. I know that you don't "need" to use fog lights all the time, but it looks nice. Just like we don't "need" an E60, but we want it and love it.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:52 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi - Titanium Silver Metallic / Gray Dakota Leather / Dark Poplar Wood Trim / Cold Weather Package / Premium Package / Premium Sound Package / Lumbar Support / Xenon Adaptive Light Control / 6 speed auto - Steptronic Trans. /Sirius Satellite Radio / Voice Activation / Navigation / Moonroof

Originally Posted by pigapumbu' post='790731' date='Feb 11 2009, 06:59 PM
and how did it work on the 2003 S60? I am curious.

Not sure if you are refering to me but perhaps I was not clear in my post. I have no objections to the switch to turn the auto rain sensor on. In fact I totally agree one need to be provided. What I dislike is the fact, it very much does a dry swipe for me as I prefer to have it turned on before I drive off, rather than be caught out by a sudden splash of water and then use the finger to flick the switch.

As it is on my E60 steering column, I have the following,.. indicator stalk, electric adjustment lever, autocruise stalk, wiper stalk, two gear changes switches. I rather concentrate on my driving than having to messing with the wiper. Thats the point of auto IMO.

if BMW didn't program it to do a swipe when there is no water, everyone would be happy. You would be happy to turn it on when the glass is wet and by being wet it swipes. I would be happy to turn it on before setting off and since the glass is dry, nothing happend other than a small symbol or light in the dash. (similar to the E39 of the past).

Here is a question for our members. Do you switch our auto lights on when it gets dark or have it ON all the time irespective of brightness. I bet there will be some who leave it ON all the time, some who never use it and some who turn it on ONLY at dusk.

cheers
If memory serves, the auto wipers on the S-60 had to be similarly engaged, by putting the the wiper stalk in a particular position. Further, if I recall, the auto wipers did not have multiple settings a la the E60. There was a single setting, however, the system was intuitive as the speed of the wipers as well as the time between wipes changed as the precipitation changed from drizzle to downpour. The E60's auto wipe seems like a hybrid between the Volvo's auto-wipe and intermittent wiper system.

In response to your auto lights query, for my last 3 vehicles, I have kept the headlights in automatic mode. My Volvo had DRLs, however my 300C did not. Only occassionally rarely did I see a need to deviate frm the "auto" mode and manually flip the lights on based upon environmental conditions.