E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Fog Lights and Rain Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 12:08 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Dear Tbone550i,

The fog lights are for no actual use, they only light up some 20 feet in front of the car plus the ditches,
using them as daylight running lights is cool, nothing else.
(Some other brand drivers hate the BMW drivers for using the fog lights in the day, why, I don't know).
Luckily the LCI has the AE daylight auto-option.

When you get hungry, do you get a plate in front of you automatically?
If not, you need to teach your mom, GF or secretary/boss at work.

About the rear fogs:
- they are only good for driving on a freeway in extremely heavy rain/snowstorm, then they really are for some use
- in US when such heavy rain or snowstorm is on, everybody use their emergency lights (?)
Old 09-24-2008, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='677297' date='Sep 24 2008, 09:54 PM
Thankfully BMW did not include the rear fogs for the US (and possibly Canada...)
Thank God!

Can you imagine people drivng with all fogs on, front and rear? Just because it looks sooooooo cool?

Old 09-24-2008, 12:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: .
Model Year: .

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='677247
Here we go again
Someone's been digging deep! All the way back to Feb.

Deja'vu?!
Old 09-24-2008, 02:58 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='677247' date='Sep 24 2008, 11:40 AM
oh no....
Old 09-27-2008, 02:03 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530xi. alpine white, black leather, 6 speed. mtech kit.

i dont think many Audi drivers know about how bright the rear fogs are or that they actually exist. my wife has an A6 and always instinctively pulls the light knob all the way out not realizing it turns on the rear. Maybe thats the problem. retarded cars for retarted drivers...but i love her
Old 09-27-2008, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by zolensky' post='679536' date='Sep 27 2008, 06:03 AM
i dont think many Audi drivers know about how bright the rear fogs are or that they actually exist. my wife has an A6 and always instinctively pulls the light knob all the way out not realizing it turns on the rear. Maybe thats the problem. retarded cars for retarted drivers...but i love her
I agree -- I think there are more Audi drivers who use the rear fog than for any other car manufacturer. It's probably the old turn pull and press any button that has a picture of a light on it since these drivers seem to have no idea how annoying it is to follow them with the rear fogs on...
Old 09-27-2008, 10:08 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='679587' date='Sep 27 2008, 06:53 AM
I agree -- I think there are more Audi drivers who use the rear fog than for any other car manufacturer. It's probably the old turn pull and press any button that has a picture of a light on it since these drivers seem to have no idea how annoying it is to follow them with the rear fogs on...
I dunno....Jags here in the US are notorious for that mess!!!!
Old 02-09-2009, 03:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d

Originally Posted by jonno_' post='524621
+1 that does make perfect sense.
Sorry to dredge this thread up but I have to ask this question. Why the heck does the wipers give ONE swipe regardless of the weather when I press the autorain function ON. I always like to start the journey with the feature on so that if for any reason the windshield gets wet the wipers come on.

However when the glass is dry and I activate the switch, it still does a dry rub on the screen which leaves all the oil smudged. I hate it cause I am sure its bad for the wiper blades and I am forced to use the washer to clear it all up. My shinny motor is now blasted with water all over. I HATE IT!!!!.

Can someone PLEASE tell me if there is away of turning on the autorain sensor WITHOUT doing a single wipe of the screen. PLEASE..............!!

thanks

cheers

IMHO, BMW got the logic for this one wrong.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by pigapumbu' post='788897' date='Feb 10 2009, 01:17 AM
Can someone PLEASE tell me if there is away of turning on the autorain sensor WITHOUT doing a single wipe of the screen. PLEASE..............!!

thanks

cheers

IMHO, BMW got the logic for this one wrong.

Not possible.

The logic behind it is, once it starts raining you activate it, so it starts with a single wipe.
After that you don't need to think aboput it anymore, the rain sensor does the rest all by himself.
Old 02-09-2009, 03:33 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='788906' date='Feb 10 2009, 12:23 AM

Not possible.

The logic behind it is, once it starts raining you activate it, so it starts with a single wipe.
After that you don't need to think aboput it anymore, the rain sensor does the rest all by himself.
Thanks for that. Frankly I would have preferred it not to wipe once as it would be more logical to have it turned on before the journey begins. If I had to do a swipe there is already a feature for it via the stalk. I think I will write a letter to the design team in Germany to let them know my grief. Who knows....

cheers

Quick Reply: Fog Lights and Rain Sensor