E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Fog Lights and Rain Sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 09:21 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 Carbon Black 550i w/Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Natural Brown Leather, NAV, Active Steering, Cold-Weather Package, Logic 7, iPod/USB Adapter. Build completed Sep , 2007.

Originally Posted by alpinewhite' post='524318' date='Jan 29 2008, 01:02 PM
negative impact is it distract drivers behind you. Its like if I drove a truck and I was behind you with my high beams pointed directly at your car.
Please see my post, I agree with the rear fog lights being annoying/distracting, but I live (and operate the car in US) where these cars are not so equipped; hence the question.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:22 AM
bmx
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='524238' date='Jan 29 2008, 10:05 AM
These are actually better this way than always on. You wouldnt want your wipers to turn on when passing through a car wash or your fogs to come on even though there is no fog. If you are someone who always drives with their fog lights on then shame on you.
BMW however did change this in one of the CIP in that these features now stay on for a while even after the car is turned off, say at a gas station etc.
I'm one of those who drive with fog lights on (at night time). Not only for better visibility, but also for the looks- many cheaper cars don't even come with fog lamps.
As far as Automatic Rain Sensor? should be on automaticly. Turn the darn thing off before going through an automated car wash.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: No mods

Originally Posted by igord' post='524330' date='Jan 29 2008, 10:21 AM
Please see my post, I agree with the rear fog lights being annoying/distracting, but I live (and operate the car in US) where these cars are not so equipped; hence the question.
i dont know the answer then. the new 3 series can be modded to have the rear fogs to work but not with the e60s. you have to ask BMW NA for the answer.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 Carbon Black 550i w/Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Natural Brown Leather, NAV, Active Steering, Cold-Weather Package, Logic 7, iPod/USB Adapter. Build completed Sep , 2007.

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='524319' date='Jan 29 2008, 01:02 PM
Take a look at the following to see why this issue is such a controversial one:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=2770
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=45904
To be honest, it seems that most of the controversy is coming form European drivers. I am guessing the fog lights (probably both front and rear) are different and probably are aimed differently as well.

As to your comment there that the fog lights distract when close to another car, I personally haven't noticed, but will pay more attention next time I'm in that situation.

As far as cool/uncool factor, well I think that is personal preference as well.

Regardless, I do see where this whole "reaction"/debate is coming form.

Thanks.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:52 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by igord' post='524333' date='Jan 29 2008, 01:25 PM
To be honest, it seems that most of the controversy is coming form European drivers. I am guessing the fog lights (probably both front and rear) are different and probably are aimed differently as well.

As to your comment there that the fog lights distract when close to another car, I personally haven't noticed, but will pay more attention next time I'm in that situation.

As far as cool/uncool factor, well I think that is personal preference as well.

Regardless, I do see where this whole "reaction"/debate is coming form.

Thanks.
I think it's safe to say that there will clearly be differences of opinion with regard to this subject regardless of the locale. It seems that whatever side people are on, they're firmly entrenched and aren't likely to change their minds...
Old 01-29-2008, 10:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 550i Black Sapphire/ Black leather, NAV, Sports Pkg, Active Steering, Shadow Trim, PDC, Heated Seats/Wheel, Logic 7 Sound, 6 Disc Changer, Blue Tooth, Comfort Access/Seats, ACS Aluminum Pedals, Bi-Xenon lamps and MTEC 2X Super White Foglights

Well I took a look at those older postings (thanks). Wow this topic is a touchy one. My bad for bringing it up again, and the "radio all the way up" comment.....well that there was funny! I tried to search for the answer but that older thread didn't come up.

Anyway...hopefully this topic is over (before Iceman gets involved).

Sorry again for bringing up an old issue!
Old 01-29-2008, 09:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='524264' date='Jan 29 2008, 08:37 AM
Oh man, don't get me started...

When I get behind one of those Audis or M-Bs with their rear fog light on, I feel like I'm going to have an

moment!

OH MAN!!! serious... front fogs dont bother me but rear fogs bugs me!!! and yes its always those MBs and Audi people! AHahahah although my family has both LOL Some people are sooo clueless / careless... just pay a little more attention to how far you pull the stupid knob out!
Old 01-30-2008, 12:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 525d M Sport in Carbon Black

If you can't see clearly without your fog lights being switched on then seriously you shouldn't be trusted with driving any car, 'fog' lights as their name suggests are for conditions where visibility is lessened by 'fog'... the use of rear fog lights drives me insane too.

As for the rain sensor, i kind of get your point and i would assume at some point in the future the on/off of that function will disappear, for now i find it a nice to have but not a necessity.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:39 AM
ipp
Senior Members

My Ride: 07' 530d - M-Sport - Titanium Silver / Black Dakota leather 08' 120i - M-Sport - Alpine White III / Black Sensatec

Originally Posted by e60scotland' post='524608' date='Jan 30 2008, 10:20 AM
If you can't see clearly without your fog lights being switched on then seriously you shouldn't be trusted with driving any car, 'fog' lights as their name suggests are for conditions where visibility is lessened by 'fog'... the use of rear fog lights drives me insane too.
Well said. If fog lights are making you a safer driver when it's no fog. Then you shouldn't be driving at all.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport Saloon / Carbon Black / E-maps re-map / 20" Vortex R alloys - carbon black / Pro-Nav / Vis pack / heated leather / enough for now /

The story I heard suggested that Munich made the auto-wiper switch so that in cold climates they don't automatically start when the wiper rubbers are frozen to the screen and get wrenched off.

Would have made them some $ in replacement wipers, but it does make sense.

Quick Reply: Fog Lights and Rain Sensor