E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

First Time BMW Owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 08:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed manual, Sport/Premium/CW packages, HUD, Sunshade, Active Steering, Logic7

Hi Guys,

I just purchased a 2004 545i, first time I've ever owned a car this nice and so far I'm pretty happy with it. I just have a couple comments and questions. This forum has already helped me so much so thanks you all you guys.

- The clutch seems stiff compared to other manuals I've driven, but it could just be me being used to driving cheaper cars.
- I hardwired my V1 successfully thanks you Don Juan's great DIY, and Stealth's concealed display setup, thanx guys!
https://5series.net/forums/topic/708-radar-det/
- Love the HUD, but I wish it was natively adjustable as I read about the DIY but I don't feel comfortable taking apart the nav screen and I don't believe I have the proper tool to reach the screw.
- I purchased that cheap 2011 Nav DVD from bmwnavigationmaps.com and it's horrible, I don't recommend it at all. It's one of those off the shelf DVD's with the blue/purple bottoms and it had visible scratches on it when I received it. It will cut out intermittently and tell me to insert a navigation DVD again. Also, it doesn't read the disc at startup sometimes. I sent them a notification about me wanting to return the disc and they replied that their supplier of the paper sleeves was scratching the discs and they have since switched suppliers and are offering to send me a new disc. My question would be, why did I receive a disc from the old supplier then?

- Does anyone know what fluid is supposed to be in the headlight washer reservoir? Can it be adjusted? Mine appears to be some soapy liquid, that sprays all over and leaves stains on my car, it's really annoying.
- I want to try this: http://www.ibc34.com/Onestep.html to restore my headlights, can anyone offer any insights?
- Any other insights into the car would be great.

Thanks Guys!
Old 12-02-2010, 09:33 AM
Members

Originally Posted by sereph
- I purchased that cheap 2011 Nav DVD from bmwnavigationmaps.com and it's horrible, I don't recommend it at all. It's one of those off the shelf DVD's with the blue/purple bottoms and it had visible scratches on it when I received it. It will cut out intermittently and tell me to insert a navigation DVD again. Also, it doesn't read the disc at startup sometimes. I sent them a notification about me wanting to return the disc and they replied that their supplier of the paper sleeves was scratching the discs and they have since switched suppliers and are offering to send me a new disc. My question would be, why did I receive a disc from the old supplier then?

You may not realize, but this is not BMW you are buying from, rather a 3rd party. Whether they are burning DVD's and selling is the question. I have heard they are ok to deal with and generally they do work well with the Nav system.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:20 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

The fluid in your headlight washers is just from your windshield washer tank, I personally like using the rain-x fluids. The fluid shouldn't foam, if it is you may have a bit of a clog at the spray nozzle that you might want to try cleaning.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

+1 on Rain-X fluids. Don't freeze and really clean well. Rain beads up.
Try cleaning your nozzles gently with a small pin to get rid of any small particles.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:18 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed manual, Sport/Premium/CW packages, HUD, Sunshade, Active Steering, Logic7

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll definitely refill with Rain-X. Noob question, how do I manually raise the headlamp washers out from the front bumper to clean them?
Old 12-02-2010, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Thanks for the replies guys, I'll definitely refill with Rain-X. Noob question, how do I manually raise the headlamp washers out from the front bumper to clean them?
I'm not 100% sure of this so don't go forcing anything but I think they can be gently opened manually. Imagine the hinge being on the bottom edge (furthest from the headlight) and just pull them open from the top. Again, I may be wrong so either be really careful or wait until someone else chimes in to confirm or correct me!
Old 12-04-2010, 07:49 AM
Members

Thanks Rudy. Yea I don't feel comfortable trying to pry the cover open on the bumper there until someone can confirm. Does anyone have a DIY on cleaning the headlamp washer nozzles?
Old 12-04-2010, 08:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i

Thanks Rudy. Yea I don't feel comfortable trying to pry the cover open on the bumper there until someone can confirm. Does anyone have a DIY on cleaning the headlamp washer nozzles?
try searching the forum my fellow upstate e-60 owner.... congrats on your purchase, we need more Syracuse, Rochester, Buffalo members....
Old 12-04-2010, 08:27 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

- Love the HUD, but I wish it was natively adjustable as I read about the DIY but I don't feel comfortable taking apart the nav screen and I don't believe I have the proper tool to reach the screw.
Don't know about the screw for the HUD, but the nav screen comes off with just two screws. It come out super easy, so removing it to inspect the screw would be like a 45 second job.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Congrats on the new ride and