E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Find sound better with Logic7 off

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 04:21 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Logic7 sound premium system is a must. Far superior to the standard system, but after mumerous test of listening to Logic7 on, than switching it off, whether it be on my CDs, Sirius, or FM, I have concluded the sound is better with it switched off. There is nothing wrong with my car, since I found this to be the case on my earlier 545i. Logic7 takes away the clearity of the instruments. Jazz or Classical,the instruments sound MUFFLED and COMPRESSED with Logic7 on and much clearer and difined with it switched off. Yes, you get a multi directional sound with it on, but I will sacrifice that to get the clear sound of a piano, sax or trumpet anytime. The Theater setting is a waste, with the sound muffled also and the sound being to frontal. I am a bit of a sound buff, got the old Mc Intosh amp/pre-amp and great JSL speakers at home, so I am used to good sound. To those that sound is not so important to, the difference won't be noticed, or matter to them at all, probaly the majority of the population, but I am a nut when it comes to good music and sound so I am venting a bit. No regrets for getting the option, it is still one of the better systems available without spending $4/5,000 for a custom system.
Sure wish the audio/car companies eventually improve this so we can get the sound stage and clarity together.
Try the side by side listening test, going back and forth with Logic 7 on, than switched off. You will see it for yourself.
Please advise if you have found this to be so, and your thoughts on it. Tried all kinds of combinations on the equalizer, but nothing helps.

Netjazz
Old 08-03-2005, 06:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I agree with you that the sound is superior with Logic 7 turned off....

But this is hardly an amazing discovery. Logic 7 is processing, plain and simple. Processing = distortion.

Granted, high quality processors can be excellent.... but Harmon Kardon is not a high-end stereo company, by any stretch of the imagination. They are Circuit City quality, nothing more.

That said.... I still prefer to keep Logic 7 turned on, in the concert setting. I cannot stand listing to music that doesn't have a solid frontal image. Without the Logic 7 turned on, I cannot achieve the imaging I desire.... not even with the balance & fader.

So, I keep the Logic 7 on all the time..... and put up with the distortion.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i; Alpine White/Black Dakota/MSport/SAT/IAS/Driver Assistance/ConveniencePkg/Prem Pkg 2/4 Zone AC/Side-Top Cameras/HUD & Black panel/BMW Apps-iPhone 4 Media/M Decklid spolier /Ventureshiled clear bra/ V1 -Ordered 4/9/11, Production 4/19, Shipped on Martorell 4/23,Arrived Port Hueneme 5/19,Delivered 5/21/11

I've only had my car 3 weeks, but I tend to agree with you. I havent done any real "tests", but instruments, bass seem to be clearer w/ Log 7 off. I love the spacial sound that 7 gives, but it does seem to sacrifice some sound clarity. That being said, its great to have options and I cant imagine not having Logic 7.