E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Finally bought it...2008 550i sport!

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 06:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan
Congrats on an awesome car! Something about the 550 sport with the kit and wheels that still grabs my attention everytime I see one.

For the clear bra, I personally would respray and then wait a few days for the paint to completely set and then put on the clear bra. Just my opinion.
Considering that you have a M5, I'm surprised that a 550i sport will grab your attention!

Regarding the clear bra...I'm just kinda hesitant in shelling out over $400 for the respray and then $600 for the clear bra. I may try to just touch up the paint as best as I can. From 4ft away, you can't even see any paint defects, so it's not a huge sore. I guess personal preference and tolerance.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:34 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Very nice car, congrats and welcome
Members

Congrats ! And welcome !
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Howitzer
Secondly, black cars are a labor of love. Forget automatic car washes and start washing by hand. Get some 35% tint all around, too!
Congrats on the New car and welcome to the fourm.

Here is an waterless solution that works great in between washes and to keep it clean longer without wash. I'ver personally use it on my car and i havent washed a with wash mit and bucket in 2 months and it's shiny and no spider veins or hairline scratches. The waterless wash system from chemical guys is awsome.

Name:  untitled.bmp
Views: 91
Size:  535.6 KB

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan
For the clear bra, I personally would respray and then wait a few days for the paint to completely set and then put on the clear bra. Just my opinion.
Agreed with tony let the new paint sit then cover it.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:37 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by Dishoom
Considering that you have a M5, I'm surprised that a 550i sport will grab your attention!

Regarding the clear bra...I'm just kinda hesitant in shelling out over $400 for the respray and then $600 for the clear bra. I may try to just touch up the paint as best as I can. From 4ft away, you can't even see any paint defects, so it's not a huge sore. I guess personal preference and tolerance.
I seriously do think the 550 Sport looks gorgeous. Seems so nicely proportioned. It grabs my attention just as much as an M5 does.

Maybe try that Dr. Colorchip for the nics?
Old 07-22-2010, 06:50 AM
Members

I had my used Black '08 550 clearbra'ed after having so many niks on my black e39. The lower area's by the foglights were really the only spot that needed repainting. It looked like an old mans beard. I had my bodyshop friend repaint those area's before I took it in for clearbra'ing. The rest of the bumper was fine and I used some touch-up paint on the hood. Based on psat niks I had about 6" of the hood clearbra'ed and the two areas that were repainted. We used 3M for the Hood since I believe it has a builtin clear coat and provides a nice orange peel look and the two lower bumper area's covered with ventureshield. Install and equipment was around $350 and I even had the lip that's butted up to the trunk done also.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 bmw 530xi

HOT CAR,CONGRATS AND WELCOME TO THE FORUM BRO.DRIVE SAFE!
Old 07-22-2010, 07:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by bmwdinan5
I had my used Black '08 550 clearbra'ed after having so many niks on my black e39. The lower area's by the foglights were really the only spot that needed repainting. It looked like an old mans beard. I had my bodyshop friend repaint those area's before I took it in for clearbra'ing. The rest of the bumper was fine and I used some touch-up paint on the hood. Based on psat niks I had about 6" of the hood clearbra'ed and the two areas that were repainted. We used 3M for the Hood since I believe it has a builtin clear coat and provides a nice orange peel look and the two lower bumper area's covered with ventureshield. Install and equipment was around $350 and I even had the lip that's butted up to the trunk done also.
I guess it's good to know friends in the business! I got quoted over $400 for the respray. The tint/clear bra installer would do Ventureshield for $600...that includes the entire right/left fender, from the bumper to the front door. The hood would be masked 18". This price is middle ground based on other quotes I've gotten...as low as $395, and as high as $1100!

Here is the pic of the nicks next to the PDC sensor. It's only really noticeable up close. Under fluorescent light and camera flash, you can see pitting in the surrounding area, almost making it look like Black Sapphire! I'm thinking about just hitting it with touch-up paint, wet sanding it down and buffing the area...should look somewhat better.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:11 AM
Contributors

My Ride: SOLD...Jet Black 2008 550i M Sport with SAT, black interior. RPI exhaust and air scoop, 35% huper optik tint all around, CF roundels, flat black kidneys, Springfield Armory XD-40 jet black in glove box, charcoal filter removed.

Congrats on an awesome car! Looks just like mine

The black is a labor of love though, you have to stay on it constantly. Parking it indoors helps. I wash mine about once every two weeks when I'm driving it a lot.

Welcome to the forums! Let the modding begin!!!!
Old 07-22-2010, 08:20 AM
Members

I have a 07 550i which is black saphaire metalic. I love the way it looks but needs lots of tender care which I am happy to give her. Any small scratch or stupid road crap hits shows up easily.

Quick Reply: Finally bought it...2008 550i sport!