E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

A few Questions as a new owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 10:14 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: e60 525d M Sport
Default A few Questions as a new owner

Hello All,

Couple of questions

I have just bought a 55 plate 525d sport manual 91,000 fsh.

I have had it detailed as paintwork was dull.

The car wont be used that much as i use my van so its a weekend car.

My Questions

Q:1 would it be advisable to get a warranty?

Q:2 Service: I was not happy with the oil it looked black they said they had serviced it for me, but i did not believe them even thou its stamped. so possible service / no service warning lights on , only parking light fail.

Q:3 Re:mapp or something like that to better the running of the vehicle, as i dont know how it was looked after before i purchased it.

Q:4 alloys refurbished they are ok but not fantastic. any recomendations

Q:5 can i find out about the car from bmw regarding its history and would there be a charge for the info.

If anyone has any feedback it would be appreciated as a new owner needing some info.

I am based around the cheshire area so any recomendations for re:map / wheels / would be helpful .

Thanks mike.
Old 09-22-2013, 12:30 PM
New Members

My Ride: E60 01/04 545i - 19" Alloys

Hey Micky,

Welcome to the forums!

I can help you out with a few of your questions:

1 - I think its always advisable to get the warranty, unexpected servicing costs can add up quickly on a bimmer

2 - From the experience I've had with diesel engines, even if the oil is fresh, it does go black very fast, I'm surprised they didn't pick up on the blown parker though.

5 - BMW can provide the service history as long as approval is given to them from the dealer/current owner. You'll need the VIN

All the best
Old 09-22-2013, 08:55 PM
New Members

Thanks Ma-tty-d

Is there anything you could suggest i do regarding re:mapp or any performance related extras.

Just to improve the cars longevity as i have no idea what the previous owner did regarding looking after it , but the paintwork was shabby ,hence detailing.

Thanks for response.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:54 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 535d Sport

I am not aware of any remap designed for longevity of the car. You can get a remap to facilitate the removal of the DPF and EGR which would contribute to reducing maintenance issues and costs. The only person I would have remap my car would be Simon from emaps. Based in Walsall, but he will travel to you.

Diesels are very sensitive to coolant temp (for efficient operation) and thermostats are a known weakness so check that they are functioning as they should.

Best thing to do for your car's health is finding a good independent garage to look after your car. I change my oil/filter every year regardless of whether the car computer says I need it or not.

Freshly changed oil in diesels does go black quickly, but the only way to be sure it has been changed is to DIY or find a trusted garage to do it (again). Even better if you can watch them do it.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:44 AM
New Members

Thanks redwin