E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

A few problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 525D M-Sport

Hi all, a very nice forums you have here.

I have a 2006 BMW 5 Series 525D M-Sport.

Firstly Whilst I was driving the Tyre puncture light came on (I have run-flats)

I inspected all the tyres and found a very small nail about 5mm's in diameter, it was near the middle.

So I went to a local tyre repair shop I know, and got it repaired. I also topped up the tyre pressure for each tyre as it had been nearly 2 years since any air was pumped, this was over 2 weeks ago, I have checked the pressure for all tyres again and it all remains the same.

I went to BMW Service, and told them about the above situation, and I said can you reset the light (As far as I know this is done by their computers right? or is their another way I can do it by my self) they said they can but the light will come back on again, so they said we have to change the tyre which costs ?280 ($560) is this right?

Secondly, the service light came on, the Oil filter and Oil had to be changed, so I rang this very good mechanic I know, and he got Original BMW Oil and a Original Oil Filter.

So I went to BMW Service again, and I explained the above situation, and they said to me for your car to be covered under full BMW Service history, you have to make sure you do these kind of things at a BMW Service Dealer, I thought this was fair enough, now this is were I get confused he said that on the Oil Filter their a 3 small rubber rings, and these rubber rings have to be changed everytime you change the Oil Filter and these rubber rings are only available at BMW Dealers he said. is this also right?

I really dont trust BMW Service, as when I used to have an BMW X5 I got the Oil Changed, and they had only filled it half way...

I apreciate any help you give in advance.

Many Thanks

Regards,
MB
Old 05-30-2008, 03:07 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

MB,

Welcome to the forums.

It may help if we knew where you are in the world, as some countries have differing options, although from your use of the ? sign and the proper spelling of "tyre" I would guess you're in the UK!!

However, as far as your FTM (flat tyre monitor) goes, this can be reset in the iDrive yourself. The manual will tell you how, but the thing to remember is that you do the reset, and then drive a few miles. If you do the reset and then just wait . . . you will wait for a long time, as it won't do anything. The system needs to "learn" your new settings - this is because it doesn't actually measure the pressure in the tyre, but the rotation of the wheels using the ABS sensors. If there is a wheel that rotates significantly differently from the others, because it is going flat and therefore will spin more than the other three due to its smaller diameter, then the error message will come up.
If you still have the error displayed, then resetting the FTM will clear it.

It is a sad reflection on your $tealer that he didn't tell you this, either from lack of knowledge, or just badness, and I can understand why you don't want to entrust your car to them - I wouldn't!!

As far as the oil change is concerned, the rubbers are usually in with the filter. However, for the sake of the remainder of your warranty, I would bite the bullet and go to (another) $tealer for your oil change. Yes, it will cost you, but at least if you have problems in the future, BMW can't come back to you and say they won't cover any faults because you didn't have it serviced at a $tealer. You can take your own oil to the $tealer for them to use. Make sure that it is the correct oil for your engine though, or BMW will just throw it back at you (and probably charge double!!)

Mike
Old 05-31-2008, 12:42 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='591888' date='May 31 2008, 12:07 AM
MB,

Welcome to the forums.

It may help if we knew where you are in the world, as some countries have differing options, although from your use of the ? sign and the proper spelling of "tyre" I would guess you're in the UK!!

However, as far as your FTM (flat tyre monitor) goes, this can be reset in the iDrive yourself. The manual will tell you how, but the thing to remember is that you do the reset, and then drive a few miles. If you do the reset and then just wait . . . you will wait for a long time, as it won't do anything. The system needs to "learn" your new settings - this is because it doesn't actually measure the pressure in the tyre, but the rotation of the wheels using the ABS sensors. If there is a wheel that rotates significantly differently from the others, because it is going flat and therefore will spin more than the other three due to its smaller diameter, then the error message will come up.

It is a sad reflection on your $tealer that he didn't tell you this, either from lack of knowledge, or just badness, and I can understand why you don't want to entrust your car to them - I wouldn't!!

As far as the oil change is concerned, the rubbers are usually in with the filter. However, for the sake of the remainder of your warranty, I would bite the bullet and go to (another) $tealer for your oil change. Yes, it will cost you, but at least if you have problems in the future, BMW can't come back to you and say they won't cover any faults because you didn't have it serviced at a $tealer. You can take your own oil to the $tealer for them to use. Make sure that it is the correct oil for your engine though, or BMW will just throw it back at you (and probably charge double!!)

Mike

Wow mike many thanks, I live in London, quite far away from you.

Now I know what to call some dealers.... $tealers thanks for that to

I will now try and reset the Flat tyre monitor, I believe you do this while the car is parked (not moving) wait a few minutes turn the engine off go back in to the menu and wait then drive around for a bit.

I will have to get the Oil changed today, as im booked in for a Oil change at a $tealer, Their is going to be the new BMW X6 on showcase

Again many thanks mate, ill let you know what happens

MB
Old 05-31-2008, 07:03 AM
Members

Thumbs down

Oil change!?.....Main dealer...(sorry $tealer!!) That'll be two hundred and eight quid sterling please
Old 05-31-2008, 09:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by AlwynMike' post='591888' date='May 31 2008, 12:07 AM
MB,

Welcome to the forums.

Mike

Many Many thanks mate!! I have resolved the Tyre Issue, ?280 stays in my pocket! again many thanks!

Can I reset the Service light my self?
Old 05-31-2008, 03:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Estoril Blue 440i GC
Model Year: 2017

MB

Yes, you can reset the service indicator yourself - although the $tealer will do it when he changes the oil.
Do a search on Service Reset or Hidden Menu and you'll find quite a few posts that will tell you how.

Mike