E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Faulty ihka controller???

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 01:13 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 528i Premium with coded options
Default Faulty ihka controller???

08 528i with dual zone automatic.

This has been an ongoing problem. I've spent many hours trying to diagnose and fix this. The error codes that accompany this problem are 9C6E, 9C6D, 9C55.

The problem. No heat. More specifically, the heater control valve is stuck closed even after being replaced.

The problem started randomly. The few things I did just prior to me noticing the problem are changing the car intake and coding the ihka with Carly for BMW (show fan position while in auto). I replaced the heater valve but the problem is coming from the signal it is getting from the computer. When the valve is plugged in, no heat and auto puts the defroster on high with no heat if I have the temp set to high. If the valve is unplugged, there is heat everywhere (I can still get cold air from the middle vents).

Just recently, I checking all coding in the ihka since that is where the error codes are. I used NCS Expert to restore the coding to default ensuring that it wasn't the problem. Still no heat.

My ambient temp is accurate and all the controls work within reason depending upon if the valve is unplugged or not.

Am I looking at a faulty ihka controller? Any other ideas?
Old 03-24-2016, 06:09 AM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

i cant speak to the specifics of the IHKA, but i went through issues with a different module (LCPA) and after a lengthy diagnosis and elimination of all other possibilities, I replaced and recoded the module with a used one I found on ebay and the problem was resolved.

sorry i couldnt offer more specific advice, but modules do go bad. I wouldnt suggest a replacement until you are fairly confident that you have eliminated other possibilities.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:05 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 528i Premium with coded options

Originally Posted by BostonJon
i cant speak to the specifics of the IHKA, but i went through issues with a different module (LCPA) and after a lengthy diagnosis and elimination of all other possibilities, I replaced and recoded the module with a used one I found on ebay and the problem was resolved.

sorry i couldnt offer more specific advice, but modules do go bad. I wouldnt suggest a replacement until you are fairly confident that you have eliminated other possibilities.
Hey! Any advice is always appreciated!!! Thanks for the input. At this point I'm fairly certain that it's the controller/module. I'm gonna pick a used one up from eBay as well.

The only components I haven't replaced are mechanical. I've replaced almost everything that deals with the computer side of the ihka. I haven't replaced the thermostat or water pump because the symptoms are indicative of either one of them failing nor have I gotten any bad readings from them during diagnostics.
Old 03-24-2016, 11:40 AM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by Chris Karolenko
Hey! Any advice is always appreciated!!! Thanks for the input. At this point I'm fairly certain that it's the controller/module. I'm gonna pick a used one up from eBay as well.

The only components I haven't replaced are mechanical. I've replaced almost everything that deals with the computer side of the ihka. I haven't replaced the thermostat or water pump because the symptoms are indicative of either one of them failing nor have I gotten any bad readings from them during diagnostics.
then i would also try to find a used module on ebay. i found the LCPA module I needed for $10 with free shipping. I'm not sure about coding of the IHKA, but you may need to use NCS to code it to your car.