E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Warranty through SAL Canada

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i with M package

Hi,
I will be picking up my new 2008 528i this week and need to make a decision about purchasing extended warranty. Factory warranty just ran out.
I had the car inspected and it is in really good shape. Although it has about 20k more Km's on it than most others. But I really got a smok'n good deal.

I have been offerred a SAL Canada protection plan as extended warranty. 3k for two years of coverage and 3.5k for 3 years. It is what's called "classic" coverage and is their top of the line policy.

I am inclined to purchase the insurance as my thought is that a mechanical failure on the car would quickly add up to 3k.

I just thought i'd bounce this off of you guys/gals to get some opinions and would love to hear from anyone that has used SAL Protection Plans?

Thanks
Old 08-03-2011, 08:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by vbcguy
Hi,
I will be picking up my new 2008 528i this week and need to make a decision about purchasing extended warranty. Factory warranty just ran out.
I had the car inspected and it is in really good shape. Although it has about 20k more Km's on it than most others. But I really got a smok'n good deal.
I have been offerred a SAL Canada protection plan as extended warranty. 3k for two years of coverage and 3.5k for 3 years. It is what's called "classic" coverage and is their top of the line policy.
I am inclined to purchase the insurance as my thought is that a mechanical failure on the car would quickly add up to 3k.
I just thought i'd bounce this off of you guys/gals to get some opinions and would love to hear from anyone that has used SAL Protection Plans?
Thanks
If your pre-purchase inspection showed that common problem areas were in good shape and all warranty issues addressed (e.g. transmission, battery, cooling system, electronics) the 528's were probably the most problem-free e60's. I'd put the $3K aside and invest some of it in regular quality maintenance and you will probably come out ahead.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:10 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i with M package

Originally Posted by luigi524td
If your pre-purchase inspection showed that common problem areas were in good shape and all warranty issues addressed (e.g. transmission, battery, cooling system, electronics) the 528's were probably the most problem-free e60's. I'd put the $3K aside and invest some of it in regular quality maintenance and you will probably come out ahead.

Thanks. I actually got a print out from BMW on the car service history and there has been no mechanical or electronic issues in the past. I think I will agree with you and leave that money in the bank and focus on maintenance instead.
Old 01-17-2014, 08:56 AM
New Members

My Ride: chev impala
Default SAL Warranty

I am disappointed with the SAL Warranty...the reason is because I found out through the Chevy dealer that SALs may not cover the cost of any part that is listed in the warranty and does not pay for the labor work on the vehicle...this cost goes to the car owner. The service guy said just because the part is on the warranty it does not mean it will be covered. This is what I was told and thought I would just pass this down.
The reason I found out is my alternator on my car went so I just replaced it with a used one I found for $100. this was cheaper than putting down a $300 deductible and a $491 for a new starter and $230 labor job. So I saved myself a few bucks.