E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

extended warranty issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 06:50 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 525I

Well I just purchased a preowned e60 about a month ago and I bought an extended warranty for 3 years or 38000 miles I just found out 2 days ago that there's guidlines I have to abide by or the warranty will be void its also pro rated. The problem is that one of the rules is that I cannot add a lowered suspension to it and that's the first thing I wanted too! Are all warrantys like that? I want to cancel it asap and purchase another one that will let me. Does anyone have an extended warranty where this would not be an issue?
Old 10-25-2010, 08:31 PM
Senior Members

Let's make sure we all understand this. BMW designs all of its suspension systems and fine tunes them to each of their individual models. Undoubtedly, they have spent a few million doing this.

Now you come along, and you want to change the suspension system because (fill in the blanks).

If you were the payer/administrator of the warranty program, what would you cover/not cover???

Other option: Demonstrate to the warr co the kinds of research you have done to prevent your "custom suspension" from providing any unusual wear and tear on your car. Sending the warr company a stack of graphs, charts, advantages, and disadvantages of your custom work, and perhaps they will buy into it. You might also want to declare that you have not been smoking anything (other than cigs).

Good luck and keep us posted on this topic.
Old 10-26-2010, 12:32 AM
Members

Oh wait my mistake I meant lowering springs.... not a whole new suspension
Old 10-26-2010, 07:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Sapphire Black Metallic 525i. Beige Dakota Leather, Premium package, bluetooth, BMW Assist, Xenon adaptive lights, Sirius radio

Originally Posted by mymonkey562
Oh wait my mistake I meant lowering springs.... not a whole new suspension
I doubt the suspension is even covered under your warranty?
Old 10-26-2010, 09:44 AM
Members

It is actually. It covers the upper and lower control arms upper and lower ball joints leaf and coil springs the wheel bearings and spindles, so I guess basically if I add any aftermarket parts my warranty will be void
Old 10-26-2010, 06:47 PM
Senior Members

Best route is to anonymously ask a BMW service mgr (not a service advisor) if your modification will void the warranty. Call a BMW dealer (or 2) several hundred miles away.

Changing the rim size on Corvettes will void the warranty. Manufacts are hurting so much because of the economy that they are finding easy loopholes on how to block warranties.

Many BMW techs (and other manufact techs working on their own vehicles) will note in the corporate system what kinds of mods that they have found on a particular vehicle. I suspect that eliminates opportunities for negative feedback on their CSI reports. Or at least it counter-balances negative remarks from customers. e.g., Customer says that tech did not fix xxx correctly; tech response: I did it by the book, but customer has used parts that are not specified or sized by BMW (or other respective manufact).

Keep in mind that if one of the previous owners of your vehicle "tuned" the computer chip, your entire warranty is blocked. This info (and warr blocking) comes from corporate, not from the local dealership. The local dealer generally has no way of knowing if the computer chip has been tuned or modified until the dealer emails the digital picture of the chip data to corporate. This occurs regularly with high performance vehicles. Ask any service mgr for verification of my comments re computer chip.