E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended factory (or non factory) Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 01:44 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Sport Carbon Metallic / Black Traded in: 2005 BMW 545i Sport Black/Black

I bought an extended warranty from FirstGuard ($3,700 well worth it!), and they have been awesome. so far they have paid out $11,817.55 on repairs to my car since 12/2008 and never given me problems. (bought the car with 40k mi currently at 85k mi)
Old 03-17-2011, 03:03 PM
Members

Originally Posted by lee1224
I am also considering the factory ext. warranty. My warranty will run out in July and thinking of holding on to my car until the new M5 is out. From experience, i rather pay a little more than to mess with some of the third parties out there, I know that each third party is different but let me give you an example. We bought extended warranty from a third party for my wife's Toyota minivan. We had to repair the power sliding door, dealer submitted a claim to third party: Denied!!! This BS went back and forth for 3 month, finally I told the dealer that sold me the third party that I want a full refund. Then they got Toyota involved, anyways, Toyota felt bad and ending up doing a goodwill repair, bill was $1800.00. Not too long after that car needed repaid again, denied again. Had to get their senior management to get it approved. I am not saying that every third party warranty is like this, but who really want or need the headaches. The original warranty is great and don't mind paying a little more for it to continue. Just my experience...

these are my thoughts exactly...but even the dealer can pu the brakes on. for example, i read a thread in which the owner had a level of service [BMW warranty], but the seals that were needed are not covered under the plan. he seemed to think thaat all was covered for the trans. fix on his car without question. not a good example, but is an example. one has to really take close note of what the coverage is, or you may be assisting in screwing yourself.
Old 03-17-2011, 05:46 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by BMW535xia
these are my thoughts exactly...but even the dealer can pu the brakes on. for example, i read a thread in which the owner had a level of service [BMW warranty], but the seals that were needed are not covered under the plan. he seemed to think thaat all was covered for the trans. fix on his car without question. not a good example, but is an example. one has to really take close note of what the coverage is, or you may be assisting in screwing yourself.
It's true, the type of warranty you get is critical, whether it be 3rd party or factory. The "exclusion" type of warranty is the one to get, as it lists exactly what you won't get, which is a tiny list compared to what would be missing on an "inclusive" warranty policy. That much I learned on my first go round on extended BMW warranties 7 years ago.

I'd much rather stick with the factory warranty, but I feel that they're really sticking to me with over $5,200 for the 3 year extended warranty. I only paid $1,600 for the 4 year extended policy on my 3.0 2001 X5, which I know is an unfair comparison, however even competitors like Carchex are coming around the $3,200 mark for the same coverage.

That's a big difference. If I can get BMW down by a $1,000 I'll take it. How much have you others paid for your extended BMW warranties? How much were you able to knock them down?
Old 03-18-2011, 11:14 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

It has been documented on this forum that the BMW extended warranty does NOT cover many electronics - my SA even recommended I shop for 3rd party coverage because of this. Furthermore, BMW extended warranties are only good for up to 100k miles or 6 years from the date the car is PLACED IN SERVICE. In my case I'd have to do quite a bit of driving to hit the mileage limit over the next 2.5 years before my 6 years are up. I paid just under 4k for a "true" 5yr/75k mile warranty for my wife's MB.

As far as 3rd party warranties go, just ask an SA for their opinion. They should be able to tell you which companies they have had good dealings with in the past. As for personal experience, I've had positive experiences with Chrysler warranties and Fidelity warranties. No matter what, make sure you read the ENTIRE contract and fuly understand what is and is not covered.
Old 03-18-2011, 02:11 PM
Members

Originally Posted by pukka
It has been documented on this forum that the BMW extended warranty does NOT cover many electronics - my SA even recommended I shop for 3rd party coverage because of this. Furthermore, BMW extended warranties are only good for up to 100k miles or 6 years from the date the car is PLACED IN SERVICE. In my case I'd have to do quite a bit of driving to hit the mileage limit over the next 2.5 years before my 6 years are up. I paid just under 4k for a "true" 5yr/75k mile warranty for my wife's MB.

As far as 3rd party warranties go, just ask an SA for their opinion. They should be able to tell you which companies they have had good dealings with in the past. As for personal experience, I've had positive experiences with Chrysler warranties and Fidelity warranties. No matter what, make sure you read the ENTIRE contract and fuly understand what is and is not covered.

this is also excellent info...your experience with the 3rd party warranties "angles" differently from the way i was absorbing it. in a word, thanks. guessing you now have a fidelity warranty on th MB. you happen to be the second poster recently who has named this company. dn
Old 03-18-2011, 02:43 PM
Members

My Ride: 550i
Model Year: 2008

I spent a chunk of time with Chysler Service Contracts. Of all the third party warranties, it looked the most interesting to me and they say they cover non-M BMWs. However, they told me they wouldn't cover my car (2008 550i) after I gave them my VIN number. They wouldn't admit it but I think it's due to all the electronics and options on these cars. So I've called every dealer around a 50 mile radius and after a week I was able to knock off a few hundred bucks from the MSRP of $4100 for a platinum 84 month/70k warranty. It's a pain to haggle but worth it if you want to go the factory route.
Old 03-18-2011, 03:47 PM
Contributors

factory warranty more money less headaches
Old 03-19-2011, 07:21 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by white535xi
factory warranty more money less headaches
If the CCC in your car ever fails, allow me to be the first one to offer you a Tylenol - its one of the items not covered by the BMW extended warranty.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:13 AM
Members

Originally Posted by kongse
I spent a chunk of time with Chysler Service Contracts. Of all the third party warranties, it looked the most interesting to me and they say they cover non-M BMWs. However, they told me they wouldn't cover my car (2008 550i) after I gave them my VIN number. They wouldn't admit it but I think it's due to all the electronics and options on these cars. So I've called every dealer around a 50 mile radius and after a week I was able to knock off a few hundred bucks from the MSRP of $4100 for a platinum 84 month/70k warranty. It's a pain to haggle but worth it if you want to go the factory route.

i've hardly started other than here , other bmw sites and suggested 3rd party on the net. get tired of looking...also, one 3rd party would not insure due to twin turbos.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:36 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i
Model Year: 2008

I am also considering extended warranty. I did some searching and there are a lot of mixed reviews. One surprise is extended warranty through Ford esp. I did not apply but they have online calculator. I got a quote 100k miles for 5 years for $3220 for Premium (they have a list of whats not covered, basically wear and tear, maintenance items). Does anyone have any experience with them with BMW?

link

Quick Reply: Extended factory (or non factory) Warranty