E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Engine will not start

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 01:52 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine will not start

Hey everyone.. not too long ago I made a post regarding my car not starting and what not, and people in the community told me to fetch a new battery for my car. Thread: https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...-129762/page2/

I did this and installed the new battery into my car, hoping to get the car back on the road. Unfortunatly I was let down.. Everything from lights inside the car, Idrive / nav screen and lights outside the car work properly, but the car will not start. I took it to a garage (not bmw certiefied however) but they checked all the amps and wires and nothing was wrong, they even ran diagnostics on the car and nothing showed up besides some faults in some unit. They now told me that is was probably a processor / brain / unit or what you would call it that has either lost software and / or is broken physically. My question is if anyone here has had this problem, and know how to solve it in a cheaper way then putting it to a new garage for several hours and what not!

I appreciate all help, thanks

- Jannick
Old 04-16-2013, 05:25 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

What is happening when you try to start the car? Does it turn over
Old 04-17-2013, 01:09 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by Gee_115
What is happening when you try to start the car? Does it turn over
It does not turn.. it's like the engine is dead.
Old 04-17-2013, 01:18 PM
New Members

I would look at the starter, if it's not cranking.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:54 PM
Members

Originally Posted by ronmexico
I would look at the starter, if it's not cranking.
+1 I was about to say the same thing. You can always have someone try to start and pay close attention to the starter for any clicks.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:44 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

You should check the sync between the DME and CAS, mine got messed up and I had to replace the DME. After I replaced the DME and pressed the button nothing happened until I did the sync. Also, it seems you are not very knowledgeable with this car, it will be hard for anyone on here to diagnose the car from afar, maybe you should just take the car to the dealer, just to find out what is wrong then you can fix it yourself. You can have your insurance company foot the cost of towing.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:23 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Giowizzy
+1 I was about to say the same thing. You can always have someone try to start and pay close attention to the starter for any clicks.
Indeed. With any ignition based starting system, the starter clicks. If you don't hear any type of click when you key the ignition, one would think the starter is the culprit.

Replacing a starter on any car is never fun. Not hard, but usually involves getting under the car and supporting one end of the starter with your arm, while you unbolt the other end. Not always easy. I can imagine on the e60, it's more difficult that it normally is.

If you can hear the clicking of the starter, then I would look at the sync DME -> CAS that was mentioned also. You should probably test the voltage to the starter using a Volt-Ohm-Meter if you don't hear it clicking.

I think the DME is pre pretty cheap (~$200) and can be found in a lot of places online
Old 04-18-2013, 11:34 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Indeed. With any ignition based starting system, the starter clicks. If you don't hear any type of click when you key the ignition, one would think the starter is the culprit.
I think you know how it works but you are missing a component in the chain of events.

The clicking noise comes from a solenoid attached to the starter which engages the starter motor gear with the engine and passes the voltage coming from the ignition system to the starter motor itself.

If the clicking noise is not present, either the solenoid has failed or the rest of the ignition system has not passed the starting voltage to the solenoid (and in turn the starter motor).

If the clicking noise is present but the starter motor does not turn over then it is almost always the starter motor (loose connection between solenoid and starter is very rare), that needs to be replaced.

To the OP- I am not that familiar with the 520i engine, but I would imagine it is the straight six block and starter replacement usually necessitates removing the intake manifold. If you can get a probe to the solenoid connection you might be able to test if the solenoid is receiving a voltage when you engage the starting system (assuming you do not hear a click when engaging the ignition system).
Old 04-18-2013, 12:27 PM
New Members

Originally Posted by BimmerFan52
I think you know how it works but you are missing a component in the chain of events.

The clicking noise comes from a solenoid attached to the starter which engages the starter motor gear with the engine and passes the voltage coming from the ignition system to the starter motor itself.

If the clicking noise is not present, either the solenoid has failed or the rest of the ignition system has not passed the starting voltage to the solenoid (and in turn the starter motor).

If the clicking noise is present but the starter motor does not turn over then it is almost always the starter motor (loose connection between solenoid and starter is very rare), that needs to be replaced.

To the OP- I am not that familiar with the 520i engine, but I would imagine it is the straight six block and starter replacement usually necessitates removing the intake manifold. If you can get a probe to the solenoid connection you might be able to test if the solenoid is receiving a voltage when you engage the starting system (assuming you do not hear a click when engaging the ignition system).

Yeah, good point. The solenoid is what actually clicks and (I think) completes the circuit and engages the motor as you mentioned. Just hearing the click doesn't rule out the Starter. Thats why I suggested the additional diag using the VOM

Not sure how I posted that w/o mention of the solenoid....must have posted before my coffee =\
Old 04-18-2013, 07:37 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, good point. The solenoid is what actually clicks and (I think) completes the circuit and engages the motor as you mentioned. Just hearing the click doesn't rule out the Starter. Thats why I suggested the additional diag using the VOM

Not sure how I posted that w/o mention of the solenoid....must have posted before my coffee =\
You're right! I can barely make it down the hall in the morning before java.

On most cars if it isn't the battery or starter things are narrowed down quickly, but with these BMWs you throw in smart battery cables, power modules in the trunk, voltage modules in the ebox, yada yada yada - You need a BS in Electrical Engineering to trouble shoot it.