E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Engine stutters on morning starts

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 07:56 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2013 F10 550 - Black Metallic

FYI, BMW's reason for saying their was no problem was because there was no computer fault recognized. Such BS..Is your car under warranty?
Old 08-16-2010, 02:27 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by porksoda
atleast in canada... warranty they wont cover anything unless the part is falling off or you have a cel or something that can be seen heard as a failure.

Try smelling for gas in the morning.

MAF does not fail this quickly... i have had cars for 6+ years with zero maf failures. Most of the time dealers wont take the time to diagnose issues and will patch things up... if they think to increase idle to set higher will solve the issue they will.

All vehicles have something to the effect of an auto choke so the rpms do start high and will come down automatically.

The stutter in the morning when the car is cold is basically a subtle misfire but not outside its normal working parameters. It can be many things but obviously someone who knows the car well can troubleshoot. The seal was a big item for e39 as while cool the rubber contracts and does not provide a good seal, it wouldn't happen when car is warm as rubber expanded. Could be plugs as well.

The additives is basically snake oil... anyone who knows anything about injectors and additives know its just very high octane fuel that advances/retards timings and you get the illusion of "cleaner system" the effects usually wear off after 2-3 full tanks.

Unless you use really really dirty gas... injectors wont have "carbon buildup" either. It is true that carbon can be builtup in the chambers but there is 0 you can do about it without taking the engine apart. Also whether you drive hard or granny it will only effect the driver profile and the computer will adapt. This will NOT cause stuttering or magical carbon deposits or magical maf failures.
No offense but this is crap-the chevron techron is not "nsake oil" Bmw uses this and repackes the exact same product as their own. It is NOTHING like an octane additive and does not effect your gas octane rating-it has organic solvents to dissolve organic carbon residue-really no magic here its to help dissolve particulates in the fuel system
Old 09-09-2010, 09:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i | Black Sapphire | Black Nasca Leather | Sport Package | Heads Up Display | Navigation | Lane Departure Warning | Electric Rear Sunshade | Logic 7 Sound System | USB audio | Heated Rear Seats | Ventilated Seats | Picked up: February 25, 2008

Originally Posted by porksoda
atleast in canada... warranty they wont cover anything unless the part is falling off or you have a cel or something that can be seen heard as a failure.
wow, i totally agree. it's sad.
Old 07-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 E60 520i SE 2.2 Auto

Haven't visited this for a while but the problem is still there, every morning start, especially summers.
Wondering if it's worth taking it to the dealers. Would need to leave it there overnight. (and I bet it would start fine the next morning)
I had an embarrassing moment recently, flew back and got in the car (early in the morning in the airport car park) with a friend and the car did the same thing for 15-20 seconds.
Old 07-03-2011, 02:41 PM
Members

My Ride: 05 545i 19" MRR GT1 Interior LED retrofit

I had the same issue every since I purchased my car. I learned to live with it until one day I got a CEL (SES). Ran the codes and found a misfire in cylinder 1. Changed the coil pack and all stuttering and SES lights are completely gone.