E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine stalled/would not idle at startup?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 07:43 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 - 530i Sport, Auto, Alpine White, Dark Poplar, Beige Dakota w/ Comfort Seats, Cold Weather Package (yeah I know I live in SC, but I love it on my back after a long day of golf), Logic 7, Parking Assist, & Auto Sunshade.

I had a problem with my 04' 530i last week. This is the first time that I have had anything even remotely give me trouble on this car. The only thing that I can think out of the ordinary was that I was in FL and it was the first time I have used the AC for any kind of extended time period. And I pulled into a parking lot and while I finished up a couple phone calls I sat there idling with the AC running for probably 5-10 minutes.

After sitting there for probably 10 min of idling in the parking lot, I shut the car off and went into the convenience store to get something to drink. When I came out the car wouldnt run (start up) properly. I kept turning the ignition over and the engine would fire up and immediately die. I tried it several times with the same result. Even let it sit for a few minutes and tried again several times, the same thing. I was just a few miles from a auto shop that a guy I know owns, and I only had a few minutes before it closed. So since I didnt have any kind of warning message, I fired it up and kept my foot on the gas enough to keep it at a high idle, put it in gear and drove away. Once I got to my buddies place I turned it off. It never did it again, and has been fine since, but I am worried about what caused it in the first place.

Anyone ever heard of this happening?

I took the car in for an oil change over the weekend, and mentioned it to my mechanic. He said the only thing he could think of was that it was 5K short of its 100K maintainance interval, and that calls for new plugs, throttle body cleaning, etc, so I just had them do that a little early. And I have been driving it all week and everything seems fine (although it seemed fine before this service as well).

Just wondering if anyone else knew of something similar happening?
Old 03-25-2009, 07:53 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 14 550i

hmmm strange..

Originally Posted by Turboe' post='826967' date='Mar 25 2009, 08:43 PM
I had a problem with my 04' 530i last week. This is the first time that I have had anything even remotely give me trouble on this car. The only thing that I can think out of the ordinary was that I was in FL and it was the first time I have used the AC for any kind of extended time period. And I pulled into a parking lot and while I finished up a couple phone calls I sat there idling with the AC running for probably 5-10 minutes.

After sitting there for probably 10 min of idling in the parking lot, I shut the car off and went into the convenience store to get something to drink. When I came out the car wouldnt run (start up) properly. I kept turning the ignition over and the engine would fire up and immediately die. I tried it several times with the same result. Even let it sit for a few minutes and tried again several times, the same thing. I was just a few miles from a auto shop that a guy I know owns, and I only had a few minutes before it closed. So since I didnt have any kind of warning message, I fired it up and kept my foot on the gas enough to keep it at a high idle, put it in gear and drove away. Once I got to my buddies place I turned it off. It never did it again, and has been fine since, but I am worried about what caused it in the first place.

Anyone ever heard of this happening?

I took the car in for an oil change over the weekend, and mentioned it to my mechanic. He said the only thing he could think of was that it was 5K short of its 100K maintainance interval, and that calls for new plugs, throttle body cleaning, etc, so I just had them do that a little early. And I have been driving it all week and everything seems fine (although it seemed fine before this service as well).

Just wondering if anyone else knew of something similar happening?
Old 03-26-2009, 05:53 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 - 530i Sport, Auto, Alpine White, Dark Poplar, Beige Dakota w/ Comfort Seats, Cold Weather Package (yeah I know I live in SC, but I love it on my back after a long day of golf), Logic 7, Parking Assist, & Auto Sunshade.

[cricket chirps...]

Can I take it then that this is not a common problem that anyone has ever encountered? I guess that is good, and maybe it was just a one time deal.

As I mentioned in the "no temp guage" thread, I was a little concerned because if you sit at idle in a parking lot for a while you have no idea if your engine is running hot or not. Again I am not sure at what point the iDrive will intervene in case of overheating. I was hoping it wasnt something related to that.

Anyone? Anyone?
Old 03-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Members

Buehler...

Buehler...

Anyone....
Old 04-17-2009, 08:10 PM
Members

Well it happened on me once again earlier this week. Again it seemed to happen when I stopped the car and let it idle for a few minutes while I made some phone calls. I eventually shut the car off after a few minutes as I got tied up on phone longer than I anticipated. Again when I stared the car, it died immediately. I did it several times but it wouldnt idle. I learned from the last time that I had to keep the gas pedal down and keep the RPMs pretty high to keep it from dying. Once I got it in gear and drove down the road the engine smoothed out and ran fine.

Anyone else ever had anything like this happen?

It is starting to worry me that there isnt a temperature guage on this vehicle, I wouldnt know if the engine is running a little hot when sitting there idleing.
Old 04-18-2009, 09:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

check out my thread that I posted i had a simular issue that got fixed under warrenty if you have the same issue i did get it looked at as soon as posible could be catastrophic if the shaft breaks and enters the combustion chamber according to my tech
Old 04-18-2009, 09:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

These problems seem to be common now with the '04 530i models.
I have read about some 3-4 similar problems.

First of all, have you guys changed the battery?
Lot's a battery problems reported with older than '05 E60's.

Secondly, have the cars been served properly?
If not, the gas filters could be dirty and/or air intake filter.

What about the spark plugs? A 60kM car may need new ones.

Start from be basics.
Old 04-18-2009, 10:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='851199' date='Apr 18 2009, 01:35 PM
These problems seem to be common now with the '04 530i models.
I have read about some 3-4 similar problems.

First of all, have you guys changed the battery?
Lot's a battery problems reported with older than '05 E60's.

Secondly, have the cars been served properly?
If not, the gas filters could be dirty and/or air intake filter.

What about the spark plugs? A 60kM car may need new ones.

Start from be basics.

New battery installed and coded at the dealer
all service intervals followed to the book except oil I just have to change it a 7500 mile intervals
as for spark plugs manufacturer says 100k but I am changing mine in about 2 weeks time when my tech friend comes back for school learning about the new software and equipment to install it, he will be updating me for a issue I have with my indash cd player only playing static when a cd is inserted since I have the ipod adapter installed, note already had the player changed once under warrenty for a different kind of static and the cd going back to the beginning of a song when you restart the car though that was years ago.