E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Engine problems with 525

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010 | 03:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

Guy's,

I am hoping somebody can help me with this and I hope I am not repeating somthing that has already been discussed etc. On Christmas eve I was driving my car in traffic and all of a sudden the EMK light on my dash came on and the car started to shake violently from side to side. I had the car in D at the time and it ended up cutting out the engine. I restarted the car and it was the same, shuddering and shaking and cutting out. When I got on to the motorway the car seemed to behaving itself okay and I drove for 10 miles or so but when I slow down in traffic the car does exactly the same thing and cuts out. I called a buddy and he reckoned it was a coil. I lef the car over christmas without driving it and when I stated car again eml light is off and car is driving smoothly.

Last week it started doing the same thing again exactly the same shuddering and the eml light comes on. By the time I made my buddys place the light was off and engine running smoothly again. He could not diagnose problem, but reconed it was not the coils. I booked car in to the dealer in Dublin but on my way into the garage the same problems started again, they have to get back to me with the diagnosis.

I have spoken to two other 525 drivers this morning and they tell me the exact same thing happened to them and that the garage could not diagnose the problem. In both cases the garage said it was a Lambda sensor and they replaced these and problem came back within a month. Another dealer changed the spark plugs in the car and alledly this worked? The dealers did not give reason for problem in any case.

I am wondering if anybody has had this problem and knows what was wrong and what was done to rectify the issues?

Thanks

Grinchce
Old 02-09-2010 | 04:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by mr_grinche
Guy's,

I am hoping somebody can help me with this and I hope I am not repeating somthing that has already been discussed etc. On Christmas eve I was driving my car in traffic and all of a sudden the EMK light on my dash came on and the car started to shake violently from side to side. I had the car in D at the time and it ended up cutting out the engine. I restarted the car and it was the same, shuddering and shaking and cutting out. When I got on to the motorway the car seemed to behaving itself okay and I drove for 10 miles or so but when I slow down in traffic the car does exactly the same thing and cuts out. I called a buddy and he reckoned it was a coil. I lef the car over christmas without driving it and when I stated car again eml light is off and car is driving smoothly.

Last week it started doing the same thing again exactly the same shuddering and the eml light comes on. By the time I made my buddys place the light was off and engine running smoothly again. He could not diagnose problem, but reconed it was not the coils. I booked car in to the dealer in Dublin but on my way into the garage the same problems started again, they have to get back to me with the diagnosis.

I have spoken to two other 525 drivers this morning and they tell me the exact same thing happened to them and that the garage could not diagnose the problem. In both cases the garage said it was a Lambda sensor and they replaced these and problem came back within a month. Another dealer changed the spark plugs in the car and alledly this worked? The dealers did not give reason for problem in any case.

I am wondering if anybody has had this problem and knows what was wrong and what was done to rectify the issues?

Thanks

Grinchce
More importantly, why did you steal Christmas?
Old 02-09-2010 | 04:07 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 09 - 520d M Sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Black Dakota Leather Sports Seats electric- Auto Climate - Piano Black Bamboo - Antracite Headlining - Business Media Kit - Sat Nav - Bluetooth - CD Changer - Auxillary Port and USB - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Advanced Voice Rec - Auto Dim Mirror - Privacy Glass - 5 Year Service Inclusive Previous -06 - 525 M Sport - Steptronic - Sapphire Black - Black Nappa Leather Sports Seats - Auto Climate - Alluminium Cubed Interior - Anthracite Headliner - Business CD with Auxillary Port - M Sport Multifunction Steering - Bluetooth - Lowered M Suspension - 18" Alloys with RFT - M Badged - M Bumpers and Bodykit - Park Distance Control - Spare Wheel kit - Advanced Voice Rec

Old 02-09-2010 | 09:50 AM
Senior Members

I just got a phone call from my SA in the dealership and he tells me that my car needs two solenoid valves. He said that these parts are necessary to open up the engine valves and give the car power. Forgive me I have never heard of these parts. He informs me that he does not have these parts in stock but he will order them. The cost is going to be ?350 fitted.

Has anyone else heard of these parts and a solution to this problem?

Thanks

Grinche
Old 02-09-2010 | 10:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i sport

Originally Posted by v_therussian
More importantly, why did you steal Christmas?
LOL!!!!! HAHAHAHA