E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine oil level at minimum

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 09:13 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Today, on two occasions, my N63B48 engine cried for more oil through iDrive. Then later, I've checked again oil level at it was normal, in the middle, exactly how I was remembering it. What gives? Should I add, should I not add? When should I add? How many times should it complains until I will believe it?

I only have electronic gauge.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-04-2007, 09:59 AM
Members

The newer engines 'eat' engine oil... I have faced this problem several times. It does instruct you to add 1 litre of engine oil via the iDrive... I did it and everything was back to normal....

Make sure you add the same engine oil as the one currently in your engine....

But this occurance is normal....
Old 09-04-2007, 10:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

This happens often. It happened to me recently. I just added a quart and decided to hold out until my first free maintenance check, which came up shortly after the warning light kept coming on. If you're very concerned, just take it to your local mechanic and have an oil change done. Just make sure they use the oil of your choice. I provide my mechanic with my own.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Senior Members

I get the feeling I did not explained correctly. Surely when it says to add I'll add. My engine is not new. It already has 14.000 miles on it.

I have on my iDrive 10.000 miles until the next oil change. And I checked regularily and level was OK, just in the middle. Today, it says to add, and the level was at minimum. But later in the day, everything was back to normal. I did not added any oil. Just bought a bottle, but did not got the chance to top it.

So? Should I believe the two warnings or should I believe the level now, which is OK?
Old 09-04-2007, 10:46 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Seems like oil sensor maybe starting to go bad, probably would be best to have the dealer to take a look at it and have them top it off.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d LCI, old engine, manual, black dakota, platingrau II, standard (242?) rims.

Originally Posted by big_ipaq' post='465742' date='Sep 4 2007, 01:35 PM
I get the feeling I did not explained correctly. Surely when it says to add I'll add. My engine is not new. It already has 14.000 miles on it.

I have on my iDrive 10.000 miles until the next oil change. And I checked regularily and level was OK, just in the middle. Today, it says to add, and the level was at minimum. But later in the day, everything was back to normal. I did not added any oil. Just bought a bottle, but did not got the chance to top it.

So? Should I believe the two warnings or should I believe the level now, which is OK?
Remember that the oil level varies with engine temp and that the car should not be on a slight slope when you check the level. My guess is that it's indeed too low. You can always add half a liter and check the level. In any case, it won't put the level over the 'max', so it's safe to try.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by big_ipaq' post='465742' date='Sep 4 2007, 11:35 AM
Today, it says to add, and the level was at minimum.

Was the engine cold?

It wont hurt to put in half a quart to see if the message goes away. it could be very close to minimum and is triggering the sensor at certain points.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:42 AM
Senior Members

The message DID went away. Now looks like level is OK (green), just in the middle of display.

The engine was cold, but was on a flat surface.
Old 09-04-2007, 12:37 PM
Senior Members

The same thing happened to me three weeks ago. I'm driving along and got a low oil level warning. I was going to play golf and got the warning just before I got to the course so I played the round and about 4.5 hours later turned the engine on and again got the message. It was a Sunday and the dealer was closed so I drove to a local Firestone dealer. I waited about 15 minutes for them to check the car and when I turned the engine on again, the warning did not show up and when I went to the screen showing the oil level it said it was o.k. I checked it off and on the rest of that day and each time the oil level said o.k. but was a couple of bars below max.

I went to the BMW dealer first thing Monday morning and they told me that if the level is borderline, the warning can come and go. They added about 3/4 of a quart and I have not had a problem since.

It sounds like yours is at the borderline level. If the electronic level indicator is showing about 2 bars below max. I would add about 1/2 quart and you should be fine.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:10 PM
Senior Members

Exactly 2 bars below max. Which to me is exactly in the middle... How much in liters is 1/2 quart? Half a liter?

Quick Reply: Engine oil level at minimum