E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Engine has Overheated!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535i, Sports Package, Nav, Prem Sound

So I was driving to work this morning which is about 15 miles away. All is good until I get off the freeway.

After I exit, I drive on the side streets for a few minutes and BAM, I get my first I-Drive message of the day! Its telling me that the engine is hot (in yellow), and to drive slowly (I'm paraphrasing here). I've NEVER seen this warning before. I guess thats our substitute for a proper temp gauge....I shutdown and restart, within a few seconds I get the same yellow message.

Anyways, I continue driving, and less than a block later, that I-Drive message turns into a lovely shade of RED and tells me its official...the Engine Has Overheated! At this point I throw in the towel and pull over. While the engine was still running, I noticed a noise coming from front of the car. It sounded mechanical, like a loud motor, something I've never heard before.

As I'm waiting for the tow truck to the dealership, I pop the hood and check the coolant level. All looks well (its topped off) except that the coolant looks damn hot, with some steam coming out after I remove the coolant reservoir cap. NO signs of a leak or any coolant spill.

So what do you guys think? I'm thinking its the Water Pump, and therefore the mechanical noise as it overheated. I know these pumps fail, but what causes it? Broken impeller?

The car is 06 530i with about 62K miles, seems too soon for a water pump failure but who knows.

Thank God for CPO!
Old 08-05-2010, 02:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

Never own a BMW without a warranty! GL and good call on the cpo
Old 08-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '10 Switzer "Ultimate Street Edition" GT-R

Only 4 things it could be! Thermostat, waterpump, radiator, or God for bid head gasket...I'm sure its either the thermostat or waterpump...
Old 08-05-2010, 07:08 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately the electric waterpumps routinely go out at around 40k miles. I have 54 and have not had an issue but dont be surprised.

Also were you joking about the coolant? Coolant runs through the engine and picks up hundreds of degrees of heat-it would be boiling away if not for the pressurized system-so coolant is of course pretty damn hot-that is the point, it carries heat away from the engine to the radiator
Old 08-05-2010, 07:41 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

That noise you are referring to may just be the waterpump. I'm not sure of your waterpump as an elecrtrical driven pump but on my 545 it is all mechanical, driven by the accesories belt.

My pump failed at 57k as a result of a worn bearing; as opposed to a broken impeller. Replacement was fairly easy (with the appropriate tools ofcourse) but getting to it was the challenge.

Was this the sound you were hearing:

https://5series.net/forums/topic/990...6#entry1178726

Good luck
Old 08-05-2010, 07:51 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Car

Originally Posted by Diamond
Unfortunately the electric waterpumps routinely go out at around 40k miles. I have 54 and have not had an issue but dont be surprised.

Also were you joking about the coolant? Coolant runs through the engine and picks up hundreds of degrees of heat-it would be boiling away if not for the pressurized system-so coolant is of course pretty damn hot-that is the point, it carries heat away from the engine to the radiator
Thanks for the education. Now go back to the 3 series forums.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by corey
Thanks for the education. Now go back to the 3 series forums.
oh snap! haha
Old 08-05-2010, 08:03 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat
That noise you are referring to may just be the waterpump. I'm not sure of your waterpump as an elecrtrical driven pump but on my 545 it is all mechanical, driven by the accesories belt.

My pump failed at 57k as a result of a worn bearing; as opposed to a broken impeller. Replacement was fairly easy (with the appropriate tools ofcourse) but getting to it was the challenge.

Was this the sound you were hearing:

https://5series.net/forums/topic/990...6#entry1178726

Good luck

+1. I'm certain it's the water bump. My 5er made a clanking noise, and sure enough it was the water pump. Luckily I had an extended warranty on the car. Mine failed right before 75k. I have a 04 545 btw. Good luck man, hope your car gets fixed right away.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i Sport Space Gray

I had an 06 325i before I got my 5, same engine as your 530. My water pump made it 110,000 miles before it gave out. Water pump and thermostat, $1200 installed including coolant flush.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i

Same thing happened to me. I had to have the fan replaced. Thank God it was under warranty.

Quick Reply: Engine has Overheated!