E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

engine death rattle

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 04:36 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M package

Hello guys,
my car is at the Stealer since last week, because of some noise, as ive been searching, they are a couple of people saying that this noise is probably normal in all the BMW manual transmissions, the guys saying that on bimmerfest. had 3 series. here are 2 links on oft them is my e60 and the other is from a 335.

can someone that has manual transmission listen to this and just please confirm that this is a normal noise
it will be much appreciated
thank you

e60
Old 02-04-2009, 04:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Mine gives that clunking noise upon shutdown. I've never really worried about it.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:43 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by SilberGrauE60' post='785350' date='Feb 4 2009, 08:39 PM
Mine gives that clunking noise upon shutdown. I've never really worried about it.
dealer is saying that the problem is from flywheel and wants to charge a lot of $$$, now I don't now what to think.. I might just tell them tomorrow live it as it is
Old 02-04-2009, 04:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 6-speed Manual, Silver Grey Metallic, Grey Dakota Leather, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound Pkg, Sport Pkg, Lumbar Support

Originally Posted by solrac6262' post='785351' date='Feb 4 2009, 06:43 PM
dealer is saying that the problem is from flywheel and wants to charge a lot of $$$, now I don't now what to think.. I might just tell them tomorrow live it as it is
Well, you might want to get some more opinions before deciding to repair or not. I based my reply on hearing the clunk in the YouTube video, not actually hearing your car...
Old 02-04-2009, 05:03 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by SilberGrauE60' post='785359' date='Feb 4 2009, 09:56 PM
Well, you might want to get some more opinions before deciding to repair or not. I based my reply on hearing the clunk in the YouTube video, not actually hearing your car...
thanks for the reply, is your noise very loud, that actually outside your car you can hear
Old 02-04-2009, 05:51 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i 6sp manual the first of hopefully many 5's

I hear that clunking noise on shutdown once in a while in mine too. Its loud enough that I can hear it from the outside of the car, but nothing crazy. And I've never seen any problems stemming from it (whatever "it" is), so like SilberGrauE60, I'm living with it for now until it gets consistent or really loud and detrimental sounding.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:52 PM
ADD
Senior Members

I have had that sound in other manual tranny cars I've owned before. Never made anything of it. I can't remember what it was, but I think I was told what it was before. I'll think of it when I haven't had wine.

That being said, I don't have that sound in my 08 535... yet.

I can understand how it could be the flywheel, but more info is needed...

When you shut down the car, how do you do it? Clutch in, clutch out, in gear or not? I personally come to a stop, with the clutch in and the pedal brake depressed. Car in neutral. I turn the car off, pull the hand brake, and then let the foot brake out and then the clutch.

What year is your car? Miles?

**The more I think about it, the rattle is coming from the different inertias of the drive shaft, clutch, engine, etc... The flywheel happens to be bearing the brunt of it. I would bet dollars to donuts that you shut down with the clutch out. Try it with the clutch in, and let everything come to the same spin.
Old 02-04-2009, 06:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i 6spd sport Sapphire black...well satin white wrap

My 2005 545i/6 speed with 55,000 miles has no sound issues after engine shut down. I do have an
annoying throw out bearing sound when the trans is in neutral...pisses me off
Old 02-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ADD' post='785395' date='Feb 4 2009, 09:52 PM
I have had that sound in other manual tranny cars I've owned before. Never made anything of it. I can't remember what it was, but I think I was told what it was before. I'll think of it when I haven't had wine.

That being said, I don't have that sound in my 08 535... yet.

I can understand how it could be the flywheel, but more info is needed...

When you shut down the car, how do you do it? Clutch in, clutch out, in gear or not? I personally come to a stop, with the clutch in and the pedal brake depressed. Car in neutral. I turn the car off, pull the hand brake, and then let the foot brake out and then the clutch.

What year is your car? Miles?

**The more I think about it, the rattle is coming from the different inertias of the drive shaft, clutch, engine, etc... The flywheel happens to be bearing the brunt of it. I would bet dollars to donuts that you shut down with the clutch out. Try it with the clutch in, and let everything come to the same spin.

04 55kmiles

I do it both ways--- I come to a stop car in neutral--- cluthc in or out- both ways I get the same sound- like I said , probably will tell the dealer just leave it as it is..but yes the noise i.e on my garage or parking lot is kind of loud I can hear it.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:56 AM
ADD
Senior Members

Granted, not the same cars, but here's another thread...

Corvette rattles

They mention throwout bearings, and the lack of a flywheel dampener.

Possibility of the throwout bearing. Not a big job. Do you notice any other strange sounds or problems while shifting or engaging the clutch? Has it become more difficult to get into gear?

HTH

Quick Reply: engine death rattle