E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Emissions inspection and gas mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011 | 07:10 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Black 530xi: (6 Speed Manual) -LCI tailight and headlight retrofit -19' Black Miro M6 rims -Black Kidney Grills -Carbon Fiber roundel emblems Partially shadowed emblems Coming soon: Full Mtech Kit rpi exhaust additional subs and amps added to Logic7 H&R lowering springs

Whats up everyone,

I finally brought my 06' 530xi for inspection after having it out of state (NY) for 4 months. It failed the emission inspection, and the guy at the shop told me it was for a missing gas cap (left it on my trunk and drove off without it one night haha)

Anyway, I got a new cap, brought it in, and it still failed. He suggested I drive it around a little more since I only got the cap yesterday and it might take a while for it to register with the computer.

Also, I brought my car in for a suspected oil leak, and he told me he couldn't diagnose the spot of the leak. Brought it back to the dealer I got it from (Non-BMW) where they power washed the engine and determined that the oil was left over from a repaired valve cover gasket that was never cleaned off afterwards.

Final note, there is a noticeable white smoke that comes from my exhaust that I can notice at idle. My iDrive says that the emission inspection status is fine, although I think it is just a service reminder, not an actual on board diagnosis that I can rely on. The car drives fine, I notice a slight whine to my engine when the clutch is out, nothing to serious, but it definitely wasn't there before.

So, does anybody else think that I might have more than a missing gas cap thats causing me to fail emissions that the inspectors are missing? I feel like the place I take it to only checks on things like this if you bring it to their attention (which I should have, but it was a long morning and I couldn't bare sitting there for another hour)

All opinions and help is appreciated, especially those with a similar situation.

Thanks
Old 12-03-2011 | 11:23 AM
Contributors

What specific codes were noted by the mechanic who reported your car "failed emissions test"?? Hate to say it but our cars are pretty sophisticated and an emissions fault is probably going to trigger a CEL (Check Engine Light). If that's also the case you will need to know what the diagnostic codes are to start to pin point problems like O2 sensors etc.

Some of these indy shops will try to sell you snake oil ... be sure you're dealing with one that is experienced and reputable!
Old 12-03-2011 | 12:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Black 530xi: (6 Speed Manual) -LCI tailight and headlight retrofit -19' Black Miro M6 rims -Black Kidney Grills -Carbon Fiber roundel emblems Partially shadowed emblems Coming soon: Full Mtech Kit rpi exhaust additional subs and amps added to Logic7 H&R lowering springs

I lost the paper that had the original codes on it, but I know two of them said "small fluid leak" or something to that effect and the other noted something about heat, maybe a heat thermometer or sensor or something. I'm not sure. My service engine soon light was on, but was reset after I replaced the gas cap and it hasn't come on since.
Old 12-03-2011 | 02:59 PM
Members

My Ride: Orient blue '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, 6Speed MT, Xenon, Navi, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by tdp32
I lost the paper that had the original codes on it, but I know two of them said "small fluid leak" or something to that effect and the other noted something about heat, maybe a heat thermometer or sensor or something. I'm not sure. My service engine soon light was on, but was reset after I replaced the gas cap and it hasn't come on since.
Bad thermostat got stuck in open position?
Very common issue causing ?increased emission? warning and check engine light
Old 12-03-2011 | 07:36 PM
Members

Originally Posted by dawid_w
Bad thermostat got stuck in open position?
Very common issue causing ?increased emission? warning and check engine light
Just found the report with the codes on it:

P0597: Thermostat Heater Control Circuit/Open
P0442: Evaporative Emission System Leak Detected (small leak)

The only light that was on in my car was the service engine soon light, not check engine nor increased emissions. The light has gone away since replacing the gas cap and has not returned at all, so I am praying that is all it was, although I have a bad feeling it is something worse given the large amount of white smoke that comes out of my exhaust.

Anyone have any experience with extended warranties from an outside company covering a thermostat repair if is necessary?
Old 12-04-2011 | 04:38 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 545i, sport pkg, premium sound, sprint booster,

I'm having the same problem with white smoke when at idle. I may go to a different shop tommorow to get their opinion on what the problem might be. I'm thinking I may have a faulty O2 sensor. Otherwise the car runs great.

If I find out anything I'll post here.
Old 12-04-2011 | 04:59 AM
Members

hi,
I had a similar problem of white smoke last month.the car was vibrating at idle and white smoke was coming out of the exhaust as i press the pedal.

I have changed something called the "breather Valve",and the car felt new again.hope that this helps.
Old 12-04-2011 | 08:59 AM
Members

What's weird with my situation is that their is no vibration or noticeable difference in driving or performance whatsoever. There is just a slight chiming/whining from the engine when the clutch is out. And also, since I've got the car i've thought my gas mileage was off, and now I think it might be related to these emission problems. I usually average around 19 mpg according to the on board computer. I run through gas faster than I did in my V8 mustang I had before this car