E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

ED Car Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 09:06 PM
fq1
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got back last week from a quick ED trip. The car is quite extraordinary. However, a couple of issues surfaced that I would like to know if anyone here has experienced.

1. There is a vibration in the wheel (slight) and a more pronounced one in the car that travels through the headrests between 70 and 85 MPH. I have had the exact same vibration on two previous 745s. I was ondering if anyone here has had that and if they were able to have it fixed with balancing. The one on my 745 was reduced but never quite got completely fixed. My friend also had a 545 delivered the same time and his also had it except that his was slighlty less intense.

2. The Logic 7 sounded much tinnier than that on my 7 (and actually only had 3 modes, whereas, on the 7 I could control it on a scale of 0 to 9) and quite a few times the rear speakers went out (no sound at all) and then came back after a while. If i turned the fader all the way to the back, there would be no sound. However, it would come back after a couple of minutes by itself. It could be a loose connection or a faulty module. I would appreciate any input if anyone has experienced that since I would like the dealer to take care of it as soon as it gets in.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:34 AM
Members

I didn't notice any vibrations in my ED 545i (day before you picked yours up, I believe) and the Logic 7 seemed fine.

While I did put 1250 miles on the car in Europe during my 5-day jaunt, I don't think enough time was spent fully exploring everything but near as I can tell, everything seemed fine.

Maybe you just vibrate at those speeds?

Old 04-04-2005, 03:57 PM

I also just got back from ED last week, and there may have been a slight "tremor" in my car too. For years I had the same problem with a 1979 450SL. Changing tires or wheels didn't eliminate the problem. BUT, on the Motorweek car show on TV, I learned that most tire shops use a less-than-perfect tolerance in tire balancing accuracy. Pat Goss, who gave that talk on Motorweek, mentioned that in his shop, they balance much closer than most. Since they are in nearby Seabrook, MD, I gave it a shot and it made the car ride silky smooth. If I still feel that my new 545 has that problem, I'm sure that a fine balancing will do the trick. Consider that as a potential cure for your vibration and enjoy that new ride. How many more weeks 'til mine arrives here??

Originally Posted by ?gent99' date='Apr 4 2005, 11:34 AM
I didn't notice any vibrations in my ED 545i (day before you picked yours up, I believe) and the Logic 7 seemed fine.

While I did put 1250 miles on the car in Europe during my 5-day jaunt, I don't think enough time was spent fully exploring everything but near as I can tell, everything seemed fine.

Maybe you just vibrate at those speeds??

[snapback]110940[/snapback]
Old 04-04-2005, 04:00 PM
Members

Sorry, that was me with the tire balancing act before I logged in.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:01 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Apr 4 2005, 04:57 PM
I also just got back from ED last week, and there may have been a slight "tremor" in my car too.? For years I had the same problem with a 1979 450SL.? Changing tires or wheels didn't eliminate the problem.? BUT, on the Motorweek car show on TV, I learned that most tire shops use a less-than-perfect tolerance in tire balancing accuracy.? Pat Goss, who gave that talk on Motorweek, mentioned that in his shop, they balance much closer than most.? Since they are in nearby Seabrook, MD, I gave it a shot and it made the car ride silky smooth.? If I still feel that my new 545 has that problem, I'm sure that a fine balancing will do the trick.? Consider that as a potential cure for your vibration and enjoy that new ride.? How many more weeks 'til mine arrives here??

[quote name='?gent99' date='Apr 4 2005, 11:34 AM']I didn't notice any vibrations in my ED 545i (day before you picked yours up, I believe) and the Logic 7 seemed fine.

[snapback]111114[/snapback]
[/quote]

I did ED with Agent99 two weeks ago. I was having way too much fun driving that I didn't notice anything wrong with the car.
Old 04-04-2005, 04:12 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

Originally Posted by fq1' date='Apr 3 2005, 10:06 PM
2. The Logic 7 sounded much tinnier than that on my 7 (and actually only had 3 modes, whereas, on the 7 I could control it on a scale of 0 to 9) and quite a few times the rear speakers went out (no sound at all) and then came back after a while.? If i turned the fader all the way to the back, there would be no sound.? However, it would come back after a couple of minutes by itself.? It could be a loose connection or a faulty module.? I would appreciate any input if anyone has experienced that since I would like the dealer to take care of it as soon as it gets in.
[snapback]110734[/snapback]
One thing about Logic7 that I noticed is that in Theater mode, most of the sound comes out of the center channel which doesn't sound right. However, in concert mode it sounds great and I get a full sound from all speakers. Perhaps the Theater mode led you to believe that the rear speakers were not operating?
Old 04-04-2005, 06:23 PM
fq1
Members

Originally Posted by TitaniumGray5' date='Apr 4 2005, 07:12 PM
[quote name='fq1' date='Apr 3 2005, 10:06 PM']2.
[snapback]110734[/snapback]
One thing about Logic7 that I noticed is that in Theater mode, most of the sound comes out of the center channel which doesn't sound right. However, in concert mode it sounds great and I get a full sound from all speakers. Perhaps the Theater mode led you to believe that the rear speakers were not operating?
[snapback]111127[/snapback]
[/quote]

I actually turned the fader all the way to the back which resulted in almost no sound coming out, which leads me to believe that there might be something wrong with the L7 module.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:28 PM
fq1
Members

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Apr 4 2005, 06:57 PM
I also just got back from ED last week, and there may have been a slight "tremor" in my car too.? For years I had the same problem with a 1979 450SL.? Changing tires or wheels didn't eliminate the problem.? BUT, on the Motorweek car show on TV, I learned that most tire shops use a less-than-perfect tolerance in tire balancing accuracy.? Pat Goss, who gave that talk on Motorweek, mentioned that in his shop, they balance much closer than most.? Since they are in nearby Seabrook, MD, I gave it a shot and it made the car ride silky smooth.? If I still feel that my new 545 has that problem, I'm sure that a fine balancing will do the trick.? Consider that as a potential cure for your vibration and enjoy that new ride.? How many more weeks 'til mine arrives here??

[quote name='?gent99' date='Apr 4 2005, 11:34 AM']I didn't notice any vibrations in my ED 545i (day before you picked yours up, I believe) and the Logic 7 seemed fine.

[snapback]111114[/snapback]
[/quote]

You were in the delivery center at the same time as I was. Yam told me and we tried to look for you in order to get a Bimmerfest pic, but could not find you.

Around what speed did you experience your tremor. I think tremor is the right term to describe it.

My car was loaded onto the vessel today. Ship arrives NY on 4/15. Then maybe two more weeks after that to get to the dealer.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:36 PM
fq1
Members

I put around 1,375 miles there and had a lot of fun too. However, the vibration was definitely there. Actually, the exact same vibration has been present on two of my other late model BMWs.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:39 PM
fq1
Members

I actually vibrate throughout the speed spectrum!

I put around 1,375 miles there and had a lot of fun too. However, the vibration was definitely there. Actually, the exact same vibration has been present on two of my other late model BMWs.