E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

East Coasters waiting to put your summer shoes on...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2006, 10:02 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Originally Posted by JStraw' post='250793' date='Mar 6 2006, 04:10 PM
First or second week of April. Wanted to do it earlier (end of March), but I will not be here.
I always remind myself that it always snows in early April in Chicago. So I'll wait until the first few days in April.
Old 03-07-2006, 12:44 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 550i Titanium Silver Metallic, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood Trim, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Sport Package, Steptronic, Navigation, Electric Rear Sunshades, Heated Rear Seats, Sirius Radio

Originally Posted by tachyon' post='250699' date='Mar 6 2006, 02:03 PM
I think the change-over date is triggered more by average daily temperatures than the potential for snow. The sticky rubber compound on summer tires is useless at temps below 45 degrees F - it's like riding on Fred Flinstones.

I'm looking to change over sometime between April 1-15. I'm certain to buy Michelin PS2. But I can't decide which wheels to get.
I debated this a long time, but finally got the 166 with Michelin PS2's. I am completely satisfied, much more than I could have anticipated. This is like having a new car. The only drawback is that the rims are a little more difficult to clean than I expected. The finish has more of a sheen to it and therefor shows dirt and brake dust pretty readily. But as far as how the car looks and rides I would say it is just sensational.
Old 03-07-2006, 04:07 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by poleposition' post='250670' date='Mar 6 2006, 12:51 PM
So here we are beginning of March. Like all the rest of you who can't wait to take your winters off and put your summers back on, I too am trying to figure out when to do this. It's not like we haven't had snow in March in the past but I really want to put the 20's back on. Any thoughts?
I swapped this past weekend to summers in Michigan. It was the first for my dealership and it's going to 60 this weekend. My car was in for other reasons and I thought I'd go for it.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:17 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mihusky' post='251375' date='Mar 7 2006, 08:07 PM
I swapped this past weekend to summers in Michigan. It was the first for my dealership and it's going to 60 this weekend. My car was in for other reasons and I thought I'd go for it.
Bold move mihusky. I'm thinking 3rd or 4th week of this month. My Pilot Sports are all season, they can perform in the cold.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:25 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 Black Sapphire Metallic 545i

I won't be changing until about July up in this tundra. haha. No it will be about mid April I hope, I can't stand looking at the snow tires any longer, nor can I take the snow. I sometimes ask myself why I don't live in a warm climate, I love cars, and for 7 months out of the year I'm stuck in the snow. Oh well
Old 03-11-2006, 06:39 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04' 530i Sport/premium/cold wx/PDC/xenon.
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by poleposition' post='251398' date='Mar 7 2006, 09:17 PM
Bold move mihusky. I'm thinking 3rd or 4th week of this month. My Pilot Sports are all season, they can perform in the cold.
Poleposition, just wanted your opinion on your tires.

Winter: I also have used the Dunlop M3 non-runflat this winter and I found their performance to be very good overall. Although this was not a snowy winter in the Boston area.

Summer: I will need to purchase summer tires and I am currently looking at Kumho ultra-high performance tires, and Yokohama high performance tires. I usually buy from Tire Rack and the ratings/reviews on these brands are very high. What has been your assessment of the Michelins? Handling? Wear? Ride?
Old 03-11-2006, 10:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i Mystic Blue, Beige Leather, Sport, Premium, Prem Sound, Xenon, Nav, Steptronic, Power Shade

i guess if < 45 degree F. we should have our winter shoes on -- well --
i have not bought any for Los Angeles -- but today and last night -- it was clearly below 40 degrees! -- crazy weather this week.

ps. i am not a kumho fan -- i have seen tread seperation early in a tire's life as well as the springyness wear out very quickly -- leaving the driver for a bumpy ride. (my 2 cents)
Old 03-14-2006, 05:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Piloti' post='253545' date='Mar 11 2006, 10:39 PM
Poleposition, just wanted your opinion on your tires.

Winter: I also have used the Dunlop M3 non-runflat this winter and I found their performance to be very good overall. Although this was not a snowy winter in the Boston area.

Summer: I will need to purchase summer tires and I am currently looking at Kumho ultra-high performance tires, and Yokohama high performance tires. I usually buy from Tire Rack and the ratings/reviews on these brands are very high. What has been your assessment of the Michelins? Handling? Wear? Ride?

Hey Piloti, sorry for not responding sooner, just got back from a biz trip. As far as the Pilot Sports go, they're simply fantastic. They handle amazing, I have not experienced any wear being that I take them off in the winter. The ride is better than when I had the stock runflats. Not to mention, they look awesome with a really aggressive tread. I would highly recommend these tires and I would definitely buy them again.

All the best
Old 03-16-2006, 05:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04' 530i Sport/premium/cold wx/PDC/xenon.

Originally Posted by poleposition' post='254663' date='Mar 14 2006, 09:13 AM
Hey Piloti, sorry for not responding sooner, just got back from a biz trip. As far as the Pilot Sports go, they're simply fantastic. They handle amazing, I have not experienced any wear being that I take them off in the winter. The ride is better than when I had the stock runflats. Not to mention, they look awesome with a really aggressive tread. I would highly recommend these tires and I would definitely buy them again.

All the best
Thanks for the recommendation. I have enjoyed Michelin tires on previous cars, but have not had them as summer tires on this car.
I was wondering if you have ever had the car on a track with these tires?
Old 03-16-2006, 05:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Piloti' post='256039' date='Mar 16 2006, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the recommendation. I have enjoyed Michelin tires on previous cars, but have not had them as summer tires on this car.
I was wondering if you have ever had the car on a track with these tires?

I can't say I have. You track your 530? I have an older F car that I track but I track it with Pirellis. It has Dry weather Pilot Sports for the street. I don't think the Pilot Sport A/S would be a good track tire though.

Quick Reply: East Coasters waiting to put your summer shoes on...