E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60s are Problematic???

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008 | 11:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

Originally Posted by jjsigpi' post='672459' date='Sep 19 2008, 03:29 AM
PS... make sure you get the warranty!
Check my sig... I have a new E60 528i M Sport on order. But thanks for the advice~
Old 09-18-2008 | 11:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See Signature
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Originally Posted by seoulman' post='672485' date='Sep 18 2008, 02:00 PM
Check my sig... I have a new E60 528i M Sport on order. But thanks for the advice~

Oops, I forgot you ordered already... for some reason I thought you were thinking of purchasing a used one... my mistake
Old 09-18-2008 | 11:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jjsigpi' post='672500' date='Sep 19 2008, 04:19 AM
Oops, I forgot you ordered already... for some reason I thought you were thinking of purchasing a used one... my mistake
No worries~ As 'GENEaTALS' said in an earlier post on this thread, I'm suffering from anxiety from my extended wait for the delivery of my car. The more time I have to think about it, the more paranoid I get about my decision!
Old 09-18-2008 | 11:29 AM
Members

My wife and I have owned Honda Accord, Honda Pilot, Toyota Camry, Toyota Corolla, Mazda Miata, Mazda RX7, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Chevy Camero and Corvett. None of them was problem free. Fortunately, they were all minor issues, nothing related to engine or transmission. Every cars bound to have problems and it's a matter of minor or major only. The new 528i we bought recently has been wonderful and of course we have not driven it much. It's our weekend car. I have faith in BMW products, plus after all I had been to some car forums for the cars I own or owned, I did see complaints and problems raised in those forums too. Airplanes and Space Shuttles are far more technologically advanced than cars and they still have faulty parts. One biggest advantage of cars is when your car have issue, you won't be alone. There will be others who might have already discovered it or already have fixes to it.

Don't worry, your new E60 will be just fine.
Old 09-18-2008 | 11:30 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

Originally Posted by seoulman' post='672502' date='Sep 19 2008, 03:22 AM
No worries~ As 'GENEaTALS' said in an earlier post on this thread, I'm suffering from anxiety from my extended wait for the delivery of my car. The more time I have to think about it, the more paranoid I get about my decision!

The more anticipation, the more appreciation! hehehe
Old 09-18-2008 | 11:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by E60528i' post='672506' date='Sep 19 2008, 04:29 AM
My wife and I have owned Honda Accord, Honda Pilot, Toyota Camry, Toyota Corolla, Mazda Miata, Mazda RX7, Mitsubishi Eclipse, Chevy Camero and Corvett. None of them was problem free. Fortunately, they were all minor issues, nothing related to engine or transmission. Every cars bound to have problems and it's a matter of minor or major only. The new 528i we bought recently has been wonderful and of course we have not driven it much. It's our weekend car. I have faith in BMW products, plus after all I had been to some car forums for the cars I own or owned, I did see complaints and problems raised in those forums too. Airplanes and Space Shuttles are far more technologically advanced than cars and they still have faulty parts. One biggest advantage of cars is when your car have issue, you won't be alone. There will be others who might have already discovered it or already have fixes to it.

Don't worry, your new E60 will be just fine.
Much thanks!
Old 09-18-2008 | 11:32 AM
Senior Members

'06 e60 till now, no problems at all
Old 09-18-2008 | 11:33 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by seoulman' post='672195' date='Sep 18 2008, 04:12 PM
I am now nervous about what my E60 ownership experience has in store for me. Reading some of the threads about break downs, malfunctions, and troubles, reminds me of a nightmarish experience I had with an Alfa Romeo many years back.

Anyone have an opinion regarding this?
This forum takes up all the problems of some 25,000 E60's for a 5 year period.

Usually people writes about problems, not about success.

You can't compare a German built luxury car to a Italian made mid-priced car.
Alfa's are very nice to drive, but are not reliable in any means.

The E60 don't brake down nor leave you in the street, some details could be better, though.
Old 09-18-2008 | 11:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BigMike' post='672507' date='Sep 19 2008, 04:30 AM
The more anticipation, the more appreciation! hehehe
This from the man that wants to switch sides! To..... AUDI!!!

Old 09-18-2008 | 11:34 AM
Contributors

I completely understand your apprehension concerning the E60's reliability because I also experienced it for my last car, an E39, as well as our X5. I always do a ton of research before any car purchase and did the same for my last three purchases, including my most recent car, an 06 530i with manual. I always buy my cars 'slightly used' as I prefer to let the first owner have the greatest amount of depreciation, lol.

I also know that every car out there, regardless of make, has certain problem areas that seem to stand out for a number of years or body style. I learned what they were for the E39 and then made the best purchase I could regarding previous care, maintenance records, etc. There are ALWAYS hidden gems out there and I have a pretty good record of finding them!

When I purchased my current E60 I gave my 02 530i Sport/Prem to my mother and it currently has 115K miles. I have all of its records since the day it was purchased and it has never experienced a single major problem except a back door window regulator that went bad - a known E39 issue. I changed the automatic transmission fluid at 75K, and that's been it except for the normally scheduled BMW stuff. When I drive it from time to time to run an errand I am STILL struck by how solid everything is and its condition. It was garage kept by its first owner, as both my mom and I have done as well, and no one would ever guess its age unless they knew about BMW model year changes. It not only looks new, it feels that way as well which is even more impressive.

We have had the same experience with our 02 3.0 X5. It now has 85K miles and still looks and drives like brand new. No loose parts, no rattles, and no problems beyond the replacement of the bar 'thing' underneath that connects to the wheel -- darn it, can't recall its name but it's a common problem area that I believe should have just been made more durable -- at 70K. Also replaced its transmission fluid at 75K and that's been it except for normal maintenance.

My current silver grey 06 530i is the most beautiful car I have ever owned, modified with the full M-Tech kit & trunk finisher, M5-style glossy black window trim, Eibach Pro-Kit, and OEM 19" 128's. Its first owner used it as more of a toy than anything else, having 3 other cars, kept it in an air-conditioned garage, and even kept every gas receipt since the day he drove it off the lot. I purchased it when it had 23K miles and have put on 2K since then. Other than a battery issue recall it has never had a single problem at all. I'm paranoid about the interior peeling paint issue, but so far it still looks like a brand new car both inside and out.

Of all my past cars, including four Audi Quattro's and four various BMW's, this is also the most complimented car I have ever had as well. I have been stopped several times in my grocery or gym lot and asked about the car, as well as by numerous valet drivers who just 'had' to say something it seems. Just two nights ago the toll taker at a parking garage I used said, "You have the most beautiful car I have seen all day -- which BMW is this?" And trust me, this was in an 'upscale area' garage with many other luxury cars a lot newer and more expensive than mine!

In addition to these outstanding cars I am also blessed with Fields BMW here in Orlando and the best SA anyone could possible ask for. He recognizes me by name regardless of how many months its been, is always extremely professional, and has exceeded my expectations with every service regarding the replacement of something I didn't even think to ask about, having the car washed and cleaned before I picked it up, etc.

You are in for a treat so don't sweat it! You will have a beautiful car that will make you smile every time you walk up to it.

I realize this post is a bit longer than some folks like, but I wanted to share how positive my BMW ownerships have been.

Quick Reply: E60s are Problematic???