E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60s are Problematic???

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 07:10 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 08 550 Carbon Sport Almost everything factory, but no sound upgrades.

Originally Posted by TexaZ3' post='672229' date='Sep 18 2008, 10:11 AM
Keep in mind that people tend to post about problems, not about positive things. Why would somebody post a thread if everything is fine. Granted, E60 is a mode complicated vehicle than previous BMWs and tend to have more problems, it is still a very reliable car.
+1

Let me add to the above ... E60.com represents a very small sampling of Bimmer owners. And I think patience, knowledge and understanding helps solve many of the concerns we read about.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:19 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='672220' date='Sep 18 2008, 06:51 AM
I think it depends on your luck mines fine. No more trouble than any other car I've owned
sama here and mine is a CPO
Old 09-18-2008, 07:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

+1

Posters post complaints more than compliments, as others said. Bimmerfest and e60.net etc., are enthusiasts' boards, and suffice to say they probably push their cars on average a little harder than most BMW owners, and BMW owners push harder than Lexus owners, etc.. E60's are full of advanced technology, some of which can be problematic itself, and much of which is misunderstood or not used properly by some owners, who'll then complain.

There are perhaps cars that use less advanced technology and that are also a bit less problematic, but as in the rest of life everything is about finding balance of your competing desires. If you want more reliability (or purchase price, or fuel economy, or convenience, or...) and are willing to give up some of what you get in a BMW package, then go another direction. For me, the e60 strikes exactly the right balance.

Cal
Old 09-18-2008, 07:22 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

Imagine that...a car forum with lots of complaints about problems and dealers...almost like every other car forum on the web.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 530d XDrive M Sport

I've owned many BMWs. Mostly 3 Series (M - 3, coupe - 2, convertible - 1, sedan - 3) and a couple of X5s, an E39 530i and an E39 M5. Never had a problem and had great experiences in the service process of all my cars. But reading the threads and post, the E60 just seems to have an inordinate number of problems and issues in getting those problems resolved through the service centers at dealerships. Probably just anxiety from my prolonged wait on the delivery of my car.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Jambers' post='672236' date='Sep 18 2008, 11:25 PM
Put it this way : Lexus are supposed to be numero uno for reliability and customer sat...

I had a Lexus IS220d. In 2.5 years and just 20,000 miles from new it went in 7 times under warranty. The dash had to be removed and padded to stop rattles twice. The car never stopped rattling - and there are loads with that problem!

The car had to have several components replaced on recall and warranty around emissions system (5th injectors etc), the fuel consumption was dreadful and appeared to get worse with miles; many cars going into SAFE mode for no reason - some of the petrol cars have a rattle at start up and possibly need a top head re-build, boot lids damaging paint on the bumpers, very soft paint - premature brake disc wear (actually faster than pads(!)), Power Steerng locking up whilst driving etc...do I need to go on? It's not all of them by any stretch of the imagination, but enough to make me jump...

The earlier RX has issus with Lurching gearbox's - at least on a BMW you can do the 25s throttle thing and fix it DIY - on a Lexus it's a dealer job....just look at the LOC and you'll see...

In the end I got so fed up I came back to the germans...

There is no such thing as a perfect car. Having said that, prior to the Lexus I had BMW's, Mercs and Audis, and the only warranty visit I recall was for corroding alloys on the Audi! Other things were trivial...

It would be great if someone with more knowledge could place a Sticky on here with all years, models and known issues so we can see just how good these cars are....

E.g - in the UK, there is some talk on www.bmwland.co.uk of 530dA's needing an engine rebuild after a swirl thingy from the manifold gwts sucked into the engine and killing a piston/cylinder...it would be nice if that affects E39's, or E60's....
A few years back, I bought an Audi S4 and had some issues with interior trim peeling and something rattling around underneath the rear parcel shelf. Other than the Alfa I owned years and years back, the only "poor" experience I've had with a car has been the Audi, and the issues were minor but it took the involvement of Audi Asia Pacific for the dealer to repair the problems.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:40 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by seoulman' post='672224' date='Sep 18 2008, 07:06 AM
I've owned countless numbers of 3 Series (sedan, convertible, M), a couple of X5s, and a E39 530 and M5... I've never had any problems with any one of them. Nor have I had problems with service centers at dealerships. But all threads and posts about problems are really making me nervous. Buying a car shouldn't be a hit or miss proposition. Especially at BMW level.
You're absolutely right, it should not be a hit or miss, What i meant to say was that there are always some bad builds out there... Lexus, Toyota, Honda included... but the problem is with BMW and the price they're charging we expect nothing less than 100%.

And like what others have said people post about the problems. Not about the good experiences they have... I mean, I can come on each day and post how my car is fine and it got me to work and back. but that 1 day out of 365 days if I had a problem I'll come on and complain.

Ok another example... you know the door seal squeak rattle and roll sound problem we have... we complain about it like no other... sounds like a wooden ship and all... well my family just got a toyota corolla a few months back and it has squeeks and rattles in the rear shelf. The left driver side speaker buzzes the door when listening to music and its not even turned up loud... just low to moderate volume... BUT I nor have anyone else in my family posted on any messageborads or complained to the dealer about the rattle and speaker. Why? We dont care... what do you want / expect from a corolla?

But if this was a BMW or Merc... everyone would have heard about it by now.

So thats why I dont think E60s are necessarily MORE problematic, ya iDrive and its software can be more of a problem but I dont think overall its really all that much more of a problem than any other car... especially given what it has...

Try a Jag...
Old 09-18-2008, 07:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Space Gray 550i, Light Poplar Wood, Anthracite Head Liner, Sport Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, Cold Weather Package, Front Ventilated Comfort Seats in Black Nasca Leather, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Night Vision, Lane Deviation Warning, Active Cruise Control, Heated Rear Seats, Folding Rear Seats, Power Shade w/ Rear Side-Shades, Rear Air Bags, Logic 7, HD Radio, Sirius Satellite Radio, iPod/USB Adapter. Car in BMW Body Shop, estimated completion 01/24/07.

You've got an e60 on order? Then move on... never look back, just enjoy your car and deal with whatever comes up. Wringing your hands now that you're committed is wasted energy. It'll be good!

Cal
Old 09-18-2008, 07:47 AM
Contributors

Actually, I did have some problems with a BMW! Back when I was attending the University of Washington in Seattle, I had an 1990 E30 M3 which had electrical problems. The local dealer gave me the run around regarding repairing under warranty. I got the problem settled, but it took 6 visits to the dealer, multiple calls to BMW NA, and numerous discussions and arguments with the management of the dealership.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by calpalmer' post='672293' date='Sep 19 2008, 12:45 AM
You've got an e60 on order? Then move on... never look back, just enjoy your car and deal with whatever comes up. Wringing your hands now that you're committed is wasted energy. It'll be good!

Cal
Yes... I have an E60 528i M Sport on order. However, in Korea, I can opt to back out.

Quick Reply: E60s are Problematic???