E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 Wind Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 08:03 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up my car from the dealer on Friday because they put new door seals on because the old ones were making a creaking noise. That day, I took my 530i for a road trip to San Diego to Vegas this weekend and noticed a high pitch humming type of noise. The noise would start when I got up to about 95mph and would go away if I slowed down. I believe it's coming from the top of the windsheild seal maybe. I thought it might be the window or the sunroof seal but when I opened them up slightly the noise was still there. Another wierd thing was it only happened when the outside temperature was around 90 degrees. Once I got out of the desert area, the noise went away, even if I went upto 110mph. Any else have this issue?
Old 06-11-2007, 09:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by Vermillo' post='434849' date='Jun 11 2007, 09:03 PM
I picked up my car from the dealer on Friday because they put new door seals on because the old ones were making a creaking noise. That day, I took my 530i for a road trip to San Diego to Vegas this weekend and noticed a high pitch humming type of noise. The noise would start when I got up to about 95mph and would go away if I slowed down. I believe it's coming from the top of the windsheild seal maybe. I thought it might be the window or the sunroof seal but when I opened them up slightly the noise was still there. Another wierd thing was it only happened when the outside temperature was around 90 degrees. Once I got out of the desert area, the noise went away, even if I went upto 110mph. Any else have this issue?
Known defect with windshield seal. Search the forum for 'high pitch' you will see a ton of posts about this. Its not related to your door seals and it makes sense that as the temp rises the rubber winshield seal would expand and close the gap causing the whistle
Old 06-13-2007, 07:33 PM
Members

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Vermillo' post='434849' date='Jun 12 2007, 12:03 AM
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:09 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Vermillo' post='434849' date='Jun 12 2007, 05:03 AM
I'm with the California Highway Patrol. I've passed this message on to one of our State Prosecutors who will be in touch with you soon.

ABC
Old 06-14-2007, 07:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Both the seal creak and the windscreen noice problem after some 120 km/h are known problems.

Luckily my seals are OK and our speed limit is 120 km/h on freeways (read 140 km/h or about 90 mph).
Old 06-14-2007, 02:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='435701' date='Jun 14 2007, 08:09 AM
I'm with the California Highway Patrol. I've passed this message on to one of our State Prosecutors who will be in touch with you soon.

ABC
Old 06-14-2007, 05:32 PM
SRV
Members

Originally Posted by BMW NA Customer Relations' post='435698' date='Jun 14 2007, 10:04 AM
I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
Great, since your with BMW see what they can do about my sunroof. It whistles all the time and the wind noise is poor. I am a moving adversement for BMW's competition. I have several customers in my car they all here the noise and comment.

I proudly tell them I took it to BMW of Dallas and I was told by Mario that is the way it is designed and nothing can be done to stop the noise. I also got a follow up call from BMW to check on my satisfaction and I told them a $70K car should not have this problem and I was told "We are sorry." Well I an too for you guys because I proudly drive my car with high end people listening to your great design.

Believe me it has cost BMW sales because several have purchase other cars because of my problem. I look forward to seeing if you can fix this problem for me. I will continue to do my part to help BMW lose sales until this problem is solved.