E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 Weight

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 06:31 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 330i Orient Blue exterior Beigh leather interior with Wood trim, Premium package, Steptronic auto, Xenon headlights.

BMWNA quotes that there 530i with automatic weights in at 3494 pounds, yet when tested by magazines with out the driver in it such as road and track they quote the weight of the car as 3660 pounds. I find that to be a huge difference. car and driver even tested a 530i when it first came out with a manual tranny and there test cars curb weight was 3756 pounds. does the premium package, sport package and other extras make the cars weigh that much more? I think BMW should give out the information on how much each options additional weight would be on there cars.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:49 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Wow, that's a big difference...almost makes me want to take my car to a weigh station scale and see how much it actually weighs. I don't believe that packages like sport package and premium package should add that much weight to the vehicle, though BMW probably does represent the weight of the vehicle in its lightest state.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by BimmerGuyFL' date='Oct 23 2005, 09:31 AM
BMWNA quotes that there 530i with automatic weights in at 3494 pounds, yet when tested by magazines with out the driver in it such as road and track they quote the weight of the car as 3660 pounds. I find that to be a huge difference. car and driver even tested a 530i when it first came out with a manual tranny and there test cars curb weight was 3756 pounds. does the premium package, sport package and other extras make the cars weigh that much more? I think BMW should give out the information on how much each options additional weight would be on there cars.
[snapback]187557[/snapback]
I wonder if the test weight includes a tank of gas, while the curb weight does not. I think a gallon of gas weighs about 7 lbs. If the 530i tank is the same size as that of the 545i, then a tank of gas could weigh about 7 X 18.5 = 130 lbs. To help keep my car very light, on average, I only add 7 gallons of gas when my "running on reserve" warning comes on. The transmission weight differences are pretty small I think, but I am not positive what the actual differences are.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:23 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by donv' date='Oct 23 2005, 05:07 PM
[quote name='BimmerGuyFL' date='Oct 23 2005, 09:31 AM']BMWNA quotes that there 530i with automatic weights in at 3494 pounds, yet when tested by magazines with out the driver in it such as road and track they quote the weight of the car as 3660 pounds. I find that to be a huge difference. car and driver even tested a 530i when it first came out with a manual tranny and there test cars curb weight was 3756 pounds. does the premium package, sport package and other extras make the cars weigh that much more? I think BMW should give out the information on how much each options additional weight would be on there cars.
I wonder if the test weight includes a tank of gas. I think a gallon of gas weighs about 7 lbs. If the 530i tank is the same size as that of the 545i, then a tank of gas could weigh about 7 X 18.5 = 130 lbs. To help keep my car very light, on average, I only add 7 gallons of gas when my "running on reserve" warning comes on. The transmission weight differences are pretty small I think, but I am not positive what the actual differences are.
[snapback]187581[/snapback]
[/quote]

I don't know if it is true or not (or why), but I have heard that it is not good to always keep the tank near empty.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:44 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530i, white/black manual, sports package, nav, PDC, etc.

Equally interesting the fact that BMW quotes the 330i as weighing only 50 or so pounds less than the 530i (BMNA and BMWAG both). How can this possibly be? A 3 series and a 5 series have to be more like 300-400 pound apart in reality.

Can anyone explain how "curb weight" is determined?

Originally Posted by BimmerGuyFL' date='Oct 23 2005, 07:31 AM
Old 10-23-2005, 12:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by BMW#5' date='Oct 23 2005, 11:23 AM
[quote name='donv' date='Oct 23 2005, 05:07 PM'][quote name='BimmerGuyFL' date='Oct 23 2005, 09:31 AM']BMWNA quotes that there 530i with automatic weights in at 3494 pounds, yet when tested by magazines with out the driver in it such as road and track they quote the weight of the car as 3660 pounds. I find that to be a huge difference. car and driver even tested a 530i when it first came out with a manual tranny and there test cars curb weight was 3756 pounds. does the premium package, sport package and other extras make the cars weigh that much more? I think BMW should give out the information on how much each options additional weight would be on there cars.
I wonder if the test weight includes a tank of gas. I think a gallon of gas weighs about 7 lbs. If the 530i tank is the same size as that of the 545i, then a tank of gas could weigh about 7 X 18.5 = 130 lbs. To help keep my car very light, on average, I only add 7 gallons of gas when my "running on reserve" warning comes on. The transmission weight differences are pretty small I think, but I am not positive what the actual differences are.
[snapback]187581[/snapback]
[/quote]

I don't know if it is true or not (or why), but I have heard that it is not good to always keep the tank near empty.
[snapback]187609[/snapback]
[/quote]Thanks. I don't go below the reserve amount--about 2 1/2 gallons. I don't think that's a problem. On average, I have 5 gallons.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:12 PM
das
Site Founders

Originally Posted by donv' date='Oct 23 2005, 03:06 PM
Thanks. I don't go below the reserve amount--about 2 1/2 gallons. I don't think that's a problem. On average, I have 5 gallons.
[snapback]187696[/snapback]
Just out of curiosity, do you encounter driving/acceleration situations frequently enough that it makes constantly keeping your tank near empty worthwhile?

(For the record, the "problem" many people talk about in keeping the tank empty is that, traditionally, you can damage the fuel pump(s) if they don't have a constant flow of fuel. Usually, this is only a problem if you run the vehicle to empty, but on various types of vehicles over the years, it can also be a problem under certain circumstances if the tank is simply near empty, as fuel flow may be interrupted by shifting fuel. However, I don't believe this is really a big issue. On the other hand, I did blow a fuel pump in my E28 528e by running it all the way to empty...)
Old 10-23-2005, 12:15 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Robert A' date='Oct 23 2005, 11:44 AM
Equally interesting the fact that BMW quotes the 330i as weighing only 50 or so pounds less than the 530i (BMNA and BMWAG both).? How can this possibly be?? A 3 series and a 5 series have to be more like 300-400 pound apart in reality.

Can anyone explain how "curb weight" is determined?

[quote name='BimmerGuyFL' date='Oct 23 2005, 07:31 AM']BMWNA quotes that there 530i with automatic weights in at 3494 pounds, yet when tested by magazines with out the driver in it such as road and track they quote the weight of the car as 3660 pounds. I find that to be a huge difference. car and driver even tested a 530i when it first came out with a manual tranny and there test cars curb weight was 3756 pounds. does the premium package, sport package and other extras make the cars weigh that much more? I think BMW should give out the information on how much each options additional weight would be on there cars.
[snapback]187617[/snapback]
[/quote]I think it is the car, as shipped, without gasoline. I think test weight would be curb weight plus at least gasoline. I don't think it would/should include the weight of the driver. I'll see if any of my mags clarify later.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:18 PM
das
Site Founders

Originally Posted by donv' date='Oct 23 2005, 03:15 PM
I think it is the car, as shipped, without gasoline. So, regardless of what I implied above, I don't think curb weight includes gasoline. I think test weight would be curb weight plus at least gasoline. I don't think it would/should include the weight of the driver. I'll see if any of my mags clarify later.
[snapback]187698[/snapback]
I'd believe it's the car without gasoline (and maybe even without other fluids such as coolant and engine oil! ). But what does "as shipped" mean? What about with vs without sport package? With vs without runflats? With vs without spacesaver spare? With vs without LOGIC7 (probably minimal, but you get the point)?

I'd maintain that it's probably the vehicle in its lightest shipping configuration, which may be heavier depending on configuration and options selected.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:40 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by das' date='Oct 23 2005, 03:12 PM
[quote name='donv' date='Oct 23 2005, 03:06 PM']Thanks. I don't go below the reserve amount--about 2 1/2 gallons. I don't think that's a problem. On average, I have 5 gallons.
[snapback]187696[/snapback]
Just out of curiosity, do you encounter driving/acceleration situations frequently enough that it makes constantly keeping your tank near empty worthwhile?

It is worthwhile to me because I don't drive many miles, always want to be ready for whatever, and have plenty of time to gas up--not constantly, but maybe close to weekly. "Time, time, time is on my side. Oh yes it is." ~{;^)

And, I often am in driving/acceleration situations where I like my car to feel as fast as possible. In other words, I often encounter conditions in which I accelerate briskly--e.g., freeway on ramps, desserted intersections, and sometimes not desserted, but reasonably safe, intersections, etc.

(For the record, the "problem" many people talk about in keeping the tank empty is that, traditionally, you can damage the fuel pump(s) if they don't have a constant flow of fuel. Usually, this is only a problem if you run the vehicle to empty, but on various types of vehicles over the years, it can also be a problem under certain circumstances if the tank is simply near empty, as fuel flow may be interrupted by shifting fuel. However, I don't believe this is really a big issue. On the other hand, I did blow a fuel pump in my E28 528e by running it all the way to empty...)
[snapback]187697[/snapback]
It might be possible to interrupt the flow of fuel with, say, only 2 1/2 gallons left if driving spiritedly, but I fill up pretty much as soon as I hit reserve. I virtually always am near one of my favorite, what do they call them, top-tier gas stations.
[/quote]

Quick Reply: E60 Weight