E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E60 versus w211 e class merc

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 11:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have made the jump, sold the 520d msport the car I always wanted. Long story the high pressure pump in engine went causing diesel to leak into the oil (covered on warranty) owned car from new happened at 2.5 years old and 22k, dealer told me no damage done to engine though 4 independent people told me basically to get rid as will have done damage. Asked bmw after they fixed it would they extend my warranty, they wouldn't they didn't even want to change the oil but I insisted! Really disappointed with the service as I genuinely loved the car but couldn't take the risk with a big engine fix bill.
Have bought an 08 e320 cdi have to say upto now really love it a lot more smooth than e60, I know cant really compare 2.0 ltr to a 3.0 ltr but such a difference!
Was genuinely sad to see the car go am really stunned by BMW UK lack of customer service, lets hope mercedes is a bit better, managed to negotiate an extended 2 year warranty into the deal, once bitten twice shy and all that, now for a pic!!
Old 08-16-2010, 11:16 AM
Members

My Ride: '06 530i M Sport N52

w211 vs e60 is a no brainer. before i bought my current 530i msport, i test drove a nearly new w211 e500 which was one of the vaguest steering 'luxury' cars i've ever driven, all over the road compared to the e60 530d i was driving at the time, a very uninspiring drive, the w211 doesn't do it for me at all.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:19 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2012 535i X-driveSpace Grey/Black Dakota, Fineline Anthracite Trim; Executive Package (Rear View, Lumbar, Nav, Voice, SIRIUS, HiFi Pro) Technology Package (Hi Beam Assist, Lane Departure, Blind Spot Detection, Surround View) BMW Apps (Apps, Smart Pho
Model Year: 2012

I've owned MBs steadily since 1979 and BMW since 2004. They are both fine cars but there are significant differences mostly in ride comfort, steering and braking.
BMWs have tigher steering and harsher handling over bumps. BMWs also corner better as a result of the stiffer suspensions. BMW braking is much more 'sensitive' and could be characterized as 'touchy'.
MBs have a little looser steering and much more comfortable bump absorbtion, but as a result do not corner as crisply. The braking is more gradual and less 'touchy'.
There are times when I wish my 535i(non-sport) would ride a little softer and not be so brake sensitive but its still my favourite.
BOSE MB is better than my BMW Logic7 IMO but they are both better than most radios out there.
At the end of the day they are very different vehicles that have a lot of similarities but a lot of individual virtues.
Old 08-16-2010, 12:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Gilgorm
I've owned MBs steadily since 1979 and BMW since 2004. They are both fine cars but there are significant differences mostly in ride comfort, steering and braking.
BMWs have tigher steering and harsher handling over bumps. BMWs also corner better as a result of the stiffer suspensions. BMW braking is much more 'sensitive' and could be characterized as 'touchy'.
MBs have a little looser steering and much more comfortable bump absorbtion, but as a result do not corner as crisply. The braking is more gradual and less 'touchy'.
There are times when I wish my 535i(non-sport) would ride a little softer and not be so brake sensitive but its still my favourite.
BOSE MB is better than my BMW Logic7 IMO but they are both better than most radios out there.
At the end of the day they are very different vehicles that have a lot of similarities but a lot of individual virtues.
You could not have said it better. My wife has an E350 4 matic and I have a 535 xi. Despite similarities in size, each car has it virtues. I have to say that the post-2007 W211 E-class with the sport package look very very sharp. Spending a lot of time in each car I have to say both are nice car and i enjoy driving them. The one thing that is interesting for those of us that golf is that the E-class's trunk is not as wide of you will have to take out more woods out of your bag to make it fit. The MB has a much better turning radius which makes is easier to park and maneuver in parking garages.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:28 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Munich77
You could not have said it better. My wife has an E350 4 matic and I have a 535 xi. Despite similarities in size, each car has it virtues. I have to say that the post-2007 W211 E-class with the sport package look very very sharp. Spending a lot of time in each car I have to say both are nice car and i enjoy driving them. The one thing that is interesting for those of us that golf is that the E-class's trunk is not as wide of you will have to take out more woods out of your bag to make it fit. The MB has a much better turning radius which makes is easier to park and maneuver in parking garages.
I really wouldn't have sold the car but for the high pressure fuel pump leaking diesel, also there was the added problem of intermittent power loss upto 3000 rpm didn't matter if car was warm or cold, nothing no power until 3000 rpm that concerned me more, I really didn't know what I could have been into had I kept the car and at a BMW labour rate of £120 per hour plus vat I decided not to find out!!
I did have to get an e class sport in the most unusual colour of blue, looks superb in my opinion!
Old 08-16-2010, 02:38 PM
Members

E60 versus w211 e class merc-new-car-121.jpgE60 versus w211 e class merc-new-car-124.jpg
Originally Posted by m5mark
I really wouldn't have sold the car but for the high pressure fuel pump leaking diesel, also there was the added problem of intermittent power loss upto 3000 rpm didn't matter if car was warm or cold, nothing no power until 3000 rpm that concerned me more, I really didn't know what I could have been into had I kept the car and at a BMW labour rate of £120 per hour plus vat I decided not to find out!!
I did have to get an e class sport in the most unusual colour of blue, looks superb in my opinion!
Old 08-16-2010, 02:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Gilgorm
+1 also.

Bm's accelerator pedals are touchy... (i am used to it).
Mb's accelerator pedals are spongy you have to really press it to get going.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:28 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545I and a half dozen other rides

For everyday driving I like the 211, I think the air-suspended ride is cushier. Plus I like the fact that you can raise and lower the suspension with the push of a button when you need to.
Old 08-17-2010, 02:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by healthservices
For everyday driving I like the 211, I think the air-suspended ride is cushier. Plus I like the fact that you can raise and lower the suspension with the push of a button when you need to.
That is only for the V8 model but even the conventional E320/E350 suspension is much softer.

The new ride looks quite sharp. I love the color!