E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 series 1- A Masterpiece

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 11:41 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525i

I definitely think the LCI was cheapened and dumbed down from the earlier ones. The new door panels feel cheaper IMO and are obviously not as stylish and the new ashtray is obviously cheaper to make then the unique sliding pop out version.

Style wise I think it was just too ahead of it's time. I think everything they changed on the car actually took it a step back in time. The trunk lid, the new non m tech bumpers, the door panels, the ashtray, etc. The new wheel choices are also IMO :thumbsdown:

Don't get me wrong, the LCI is still great and has it's advantages but I think the early ones were the purest expression of the car. Either way E60 is still the greatest car on the road.

There is nothing about the car that makes me wonder "why did they do that?". It's perfection. The e90 (sedan especially).. The e65.. all have questionable styling choices- not the E60. BMW really put a lot of thought into the E60.

There is no way that the f10 can be as revolutionary as this car is. I'm sure we'll end up liking it and it'll be a great car but I doubt it can be as special in the long run.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by Kzang' post='986290' date='Aug 23 2009, 03:40 PM
I don't know.. pre-lci shifter looks awful...
Here are a collection of pre-lci shifter, lci shifter, and lci sport shifter.

I prefer the lci sport shifter out of the three, furthermore I love the electronic shifting.
The LCI AT shifter is so easy to shift in manual mode-- much slicker in manual mode than the pre-LCI shifter.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by speedmeister' post='986291' date='Aug 23 2009, 03:41 PM
I definitely think the LCI was cheapened and dumbed down from the earlier ones. The new door panels feel cheaper IMO and are obviously not as stylish and the new ashtray is obviously cheaper to make then the unique sliding pop out version.

Style wise I think it was just too ahead of it's time. I think everything they changed on the car actually took it a step back in time. The trunk lid, the new non m tech bumpers, the door panels, the ashtray, etc. The new wheel choices are also IMO :thumbsdown:

Don't get me wrong, the LCI is still great and has it's advantages but I think the early ones were the purest expression of the car. Either way E60 is still the greatest car on the road.

There is nothing about the car that makes me wonder "why did they do that?". It's perfection. The e90 (sedan especially).. The e65.. all have questionable styling choices- not the E60. BMW really put a lot of thought into the E60.

There is no way that the f10 can be as revolutionary as this car is. I'm sure we'll end up liking it and it'll be a great car but I doubt it can be as special in the long run.

The new ashtray is 10 x better than the pre-lci.. the slide out drawer style makes it much bigger and I can actually put stuff in it. This leaves room for another compartment where the old ashtray use to be at. I put my blackberry there now.. on the Pre-lci there was no place to put my phone except the small side pockets on the doors.
Also why we are discussing about who has better ashtray on a E60 is beyond me lol.

LCI is better in just about every aspects.. I feel that I at least qualify since I have owned a 2007 525i for 3 years and now with my 2010 535i.
Old 08-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Contributors

I really like the interior doors of the PRE-LCI way more than the cheap looking and feeling LCI interior doors. However, I love the center console of LCI , (except no slide-out ash tray), and the exterior improvements. LCI does seems cheaper on the inside.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:57 PM
Senior Members

The steering wheel on the pre-LCI is a bit weird and some subtle changes make the LCI look better. Also, the door handles is a big thing that I'm grateful for on the LCI; I couldn't stand the pull-up bar on the pre's. And again, I have to disagree on the bumpers part; I think both of them look very bland and need the M5 bumper to look like a real BMW, but the LCI's silver stripe helps ease up the pain on the eyes. Also, the sideview on the headlights of an LCI is incredible without the reflector on there. The downside is the reflector just in front of the front wheels, but it's not that bad and some people have even painted over it. I think the LCI M5 has the bumper in the right place.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:17 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc' post='986166' date='Aug 23 2009, 12:56 PM
While I love my car... I have to say I hate the cup holders though...
I agree; I can't even fit my Colt 45 bottle in there........
Old 08-23-2009, 01:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See my signature

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='986392' date='Aug 23 2009, 05:17 PM
I agree; I can't even fit my Colt 45 bottle in there........
Colt 45?? :thumbsdown:

St. Ides is where it's at.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Members

[quote name='speedmeister' date='Aug 22 2009, 10:51 PM' post='985936']
I have come to the conclusion that the pre LCI e60 is an absolute masterpiece. Perhaps the perfect car. I spend a lot of time in mine and I am constantly admiring it. I have had it for three years and I am excited every time I get in it.

I agree 100% in what you described. I have my E60 for over a year and man every time I jump in it is like... you and her becoming one entity , kind of a pleasure moment at its maximum expression. Ahhhh! LOL
Old 08-24-2009, 01:32 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

The E60 m-sport was instantly my favourite exec 4dr. Nothing came close in my mind and still doesn't.

I've gone from pre-LCI to LCI and then back to pre-LCI (all 3 European "m-sport" versions). There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the LCI is the better car, and so it should be. There are so many enhancements that you only really appreciate them when they are gone! The iDrive and Automatic for example are simply in a different league, as well as the 3.0L diesel engines. None the less, I'm still loving my pre-LCI and agree with speedmeister that you just look at the car and think this is the model they got just right