E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E60 rev limiter improved over E39

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2004, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Well I must say that I've hit the rev limiter a bunch of times recently as I push the envelope and learn the boundaries of this amazing automobile.

One thing I noticed today after hitting the rev limiter quite hard (stereo was cranked, roof was open, engine noise and vibration is much less, car keeps pulling as if the power is limitless, etc.) is that it works much much better than the E39's limiter.

In the E39, what used to happen was that if you hit the limiter, the fuel would cut off drastically -- so much so that your body jerked forward as if you just blew the engine or something -- with the E60, it acts much more like a race car in that the fuel cuts off just enough to KEEP you at redline. You really don't even jerk forward like an anchor was just dropped. The car maintains max RPM until you shift.

Quite nice, I must say. It's good to know that these little safety nets are out there for those times when you get carried away with the acceleration!

My only wonder, and I'm sure we'll get an answer here soon, is if this behavior is due to the SMG or if it's the same with the traditional manual.

BTW, the early rumors that the SMG would automatically shift up at redline are simply not true. In automatic mode, certainly, in manual mode, no way.
Old 06-04-2004, 08:00 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rudy,
Where are you from in Pittsburgh? I grew up in West Mifflin (Kennywood Park and Century III Mall). I left the Burgh when I enlisted in the Army in 1987. Hope your enjoying your 545i. I took European Delivery of mine on the 27th of April. I can't wait for it to be delivered to my dealer in Tucson.

I've noticed the Pirates are winning a few games. Finally.

Anyway, are you a Steeler's fan. If so how do think our team is looking prior to training camp? My brother and I visited training camp last year, we were in town for our sister's wedding.

Any Steeler's information is appreciated,

Take care,
Old 06-04-2004, 08:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

SFC_Miller,

Love the Racer X avatar. My son has a life-size cardboard cutout of him in the playroom and we have many Speed Racer episodes archived in our video collection (thanks to Speed Channel running them recently). We also have die-cast models of the Mach 5 and Racer X's car. (You just got me thinking of a fun photo I need to take one of these days.)

Anyway, to get the answers to your questions, check out the PM I sent you.

Take care -- hope you get your car back soon!!