E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 Over heat

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2004, 01:55 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder why they (bmw) removed the feature of having a temp gauge?

When I drive my car in the morning I always like to leave the engine running for at least 1-2 min before I start driving.

Do you guys wait at all or just zoom zoom and go?
Old 09-12-2004, 02:04 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if I remember correctly the manual says you should drive off briskly after starting engine. I tend to do that during summer, however winter is different as I wait for the ice to disappear from my windscreen first.

Well as we mentioned you can still monitor the temperature with the dashes outside the rev counter.
Old 09-12-2004, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by BMW530' date='Sep 13 2004, 12:04 AM
... as I wait for the ice to disappear from my windscreen first.
I'm not going anywhere!

That's one of the reasons I have the external heater for. It heats up the interior, and the engine and you can enter the car and just drive off... Free windows and everything is nice and warm.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:07 PM
Contributors

There are also the car cover and car window cover accessory that you could gat from BMW.
That would help with the Ice.

I just drive and go.
Old 09-12-2004, 07:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Well if I remember correctly the manual says you should drive off briskly after starting engine.
Do you mean like this...
Attached Thumbnails E60 Over heat-dscn0506.jpg  
Old 09-12-2004, 07:36 PM
Members

Originally Posted by amigo525' date='Sep 12 2004, 01:55 PM
I wonder why they (bmw) removed the feature of having a temp gauge?

When I drive my car in the morning I always like to leave the engine running for at least 1-2 min before I start driving.

Do you guys wait at all or just zoom zoom and go?
Me 2, I am wondering why BMW moves the Temp gauge :'( Am I too old to accept new tech?
Old 09-12-2004, 08:46 PM
Senior Members

from what i have experienced in BMW cars, is that these cars make SENSE. BMW enginneers are smarter than we think and know what people will like, use or not like or not use. They have added features that will add the value to everyday driving and discarded extra useless stuff..IMO the temp gauge just takes up space and you really don't need it.. I'm sure if the car was the overheat it would give you a warning signal in the dash or i-drive.

IMHO, everything about the e60 makes sense and the engineers have done an excellent job in building this beautiful machine. BMW has their work cutt out for them in the next 6-8 yrs when they have to change the shape of it again
Old 09-12-2004, 08:54 PM
Senior Members

IMHO, everything about the e60 makes sense and the engineers have done an excellent job in building this beautiful machine.
well, you must be one hardcore bmw/e60 fan . but i'm sure some of us won't completely agree with you . especially the ones who have problems with the cupholders, sliding armrest, and no coinholder . oh, and foglights .
Old 09-12-2004, 10:26 PM
Contributors

It has been said before in this forum: why not have temperature and oil pressure display in the idrive screen as an option? If you don't care about it, don't look at it. There are so many windows in idrive I don't care to monitor, but temp and pres and voltage I would.
You could make a 3 gage cluster with turning pointers but computer generated. You could use a simpler bar graph for the the display too; or even merely display the numeric value!
As a piece de resistance- tell me the engine temperature (voltage, pressure, outside temperature, car speed, time of day, miles to empty, and so on) by voice command.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by sg530' date='Sep 13 2004, 08:26 AM
It has been said before in this forum: why not have temperature and oil pressure display in the idrive screen as an option? If you don't care about it, don't look at it. There are so many windows in idrive I don't care to monitor, but temp and pres and voltage I would.
You could make a 3 gage cluster with turning pointers but computer generated. You could use a simpler bar graph for the the display too; or even merely display the numeric value!
As a piece de resistance- tell me the engine temperature (voltage, pressure, outside temperature, car speed, time of day, miles to empty, and so on) by voice command.
sg530,
I emailed your post as a suggestion to BMW Munich.

This is not the first time we discussed this and it seems that the most of us want to have at least such a display, since there is no gauge in the E60. And the ones who doesn't want it wouldn't be annoyed by having it.

An idrive screen and possible voice command sounds good, I also added that it would be nice to have these functions digitally displayable in the check-control monitor. You could then switch them by clicking with the check-button on the turnsignal-lever.

Quick Reply: E60 Over heat