E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 for Ohioans

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 01:41 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='212354' date='Dec 16 2005, 11:49 PM
We in NE Ohio are always talking about catching up tp the rest of the world and "next year" - especially in our sports teams - see Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Indians, and Cleveland Cavaliers (though the Cavs may do something this year!)

Congratulations Ohio Thread. Against all odds, we have reached 20 posts! I knew we could do it.

As for driveability in snow or ice, I come out closer to dgik. I have been satisifed with the performance of my 530xi so far. I put snows on just b/c I had a set that fit. Snow traction is solid. Ice traction is not quite as superior (and the footing seems to be a bit less sure than in my '04 X5 -- not sure why that would be). All-in-all, I am glad that I got the xi for our weather in Ohio.

dgik: have you checked out the new book describing NE Ohio's sports curse: Curses! Why Cleveland Sports Fans Deserve to Be Miserable: A Lifetime of Tough Breaks, Bad Luck, Dumb Moves, Goofs, Gaffes, And Blunders by Tim Long.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

No have not checked out the book, but I do have some experience with Ohio professional sports

I can get to any of the cleveland stadiums in less than 30 minutes from my house, so I take my son to see the Cavs and Indians several times a year. This year got tickets to a Browns game and took my 9 year old son. We are both Browns fans.

Worst experience ever. Lots of drunks, got beer spilled on us, more foul language than I knew what to do with, was actually scared of some fellow Browns fans.

One lady tried to get her boyfriend/husband to be quiet and more polite becasue I had a child ane he said that I should have known better than to bring a child to a game.

Never had that problem at the cavs or indians. Talked to some of my friends and they said that Browns games are not a place for children.

So IMHO - the Brons deserve to keep loosing until browns fans can learn to be appropriate

BTW - function on ice is a matter of weight more than which wheels drive
I am coming from a light fwd car - so I think great
You are comparing to a heavier SUV - so you think worse

perception is everything
Old 12-18-2005, 04:52 AM
Contributors

As a kid who grew up in Elyria, I think I have a right to be a contributor to the Ohio thread.

Now, I am Philadelphia based, and we solved the problem of rowdy fans at the Eagles games (not sure that many fans will keep showing up this season...) by having a court set up on site to prosecute drunken and rowdy fans. Maybe Cleveland could use this idea.

Still have a family back in Elyria and Chagrin Falls, so I get back frequently, including the showstorm last thksgiving. My E60 does pretty well in the snow, but I do have snow tires installed.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:16 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Arrived 3 June 2005: 2005 545i - Orient Blue, Black interior, Sport, Steptronic, Cold Weather, NAV, Sirius, Logic7, Comfort Seats, Sunshades. What a glorious ride!

I live in Atlanta, but have family in Newark.
Now, see, I am suspicious of this comment. If you really had family there, you would know to say "Nerk."

One comment about the 545i -- this is the first RWD car I have owned since a 1970 Datsun 1600 roadster, so I was understandably concerned about snow and ice. But with my new set of Bridgestone Blizzaks (on narrower wheels), the car is a champ in bad conditions. The ability to start out in 3rd gear using Steptronic is a big plus!
Old 12-18-2005, 09:04 PM
Members

Hi ! Ohio . 2006 550i pickup Tuesday. Middleburg Hieghts. Saph Black,Black Int,Sport,Auto,Comf Acc,Prem,HUD,Sat,Nav,Log7,Cold Weat,Heat Rr Seats,Fold Rr seat,Com Seats.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:15 PM
Members

Should I get Mud Flaps? Yes or No.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:57 PM
Members

Hi Jeffrey, congrats on your Ohioans thread.

I am from Singapore and the bloke who started the E60 for Singaporeans thread. It is a thread for all of us Singaporean E60 owners to share our knowledge and experiences on E60 and a convenient forum for keeping in touch with each other. It was never meant to outdo any other thread in this excellent forum and global E60 community. In fact, the success and length of the E60 for Singaporeans thread took me by surprise. Never expected it to be so long and still active up to this day.

Singapore is but a small red dot and a country that does not expire to outdo another country. We respect US a lot and is indeed indebted to US for our regional security. As an E60 owner, I am very envious of you guys in the US who could buy an E60 550i at the price of what we pay for our E60 520i in Singapore. That's the price we pay for being a little red dot on the map with so little land.

I hope this post helps to add to your tally of this thread. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Cheers! Regards, Kiasu King

Originally Posted by jeffreybowman' post='212427
We in NE Ohio are always talking about catching up tp the rest of the world and "next year" - especially in our sports teams - see Cleveland Browns, Cleveland Indians, and Cleveland Cavaliers (though the Cavs may do something this year!)

Congratulations Ohio Thread. Against all odds, we have reached 20 posts! I knew we could do it.

As for driveability in snow or ice, I come out closer to dgik. I have been satisifed with the performance of my 530xi so far. I put snows on just b/c I had a set that fit. Snow traction is solid. Ice traction is not quite as superior (and the footing seems to be a bit less sure than in my '04 X5 -- not sure why that would be). All-in-all, I am glad that I got the xi for our weather in Ohio.

dgik: have you checked out the new book describing NE Ohio's sports curse: Curses! Why Cleveland Sports Fans Deserve to Be Miserable: A Lifetime of Tough Breaks, Bad Luck, Dumb Moves, Goofs, Gaffes, And Blunders by Tim Long.
[/quote]

While mud flaps are functional, they do spoil the aesthetic of the car. My 2 cents worth.

Originally Posted by Sam550i' post='213047' date='Dec 19 2005, 12:15 AM
Should I get Mud Flaps? Yes or No.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

1. Mudflaps - It depends on how you like the wat they look - moat people here seems to be against them
2. Singapore may be red dot - but more peopel know where Singapore is than Ohio
3. 550i in Dec - first thing I would do is get snows
4. CONGRATS on the 550 - have not seen one here in NE Ohio yet - post pics - have seen dome 545's
Old 12-19-2005, 04:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

Any of you Ohioans ever heard of the Red Dot Jet Band from Mansfield????????If you haven't look them up, there are great and play 60ies and 70ies rock and roll.Realy worth listening to.
cheers
vern
Old 12-19-2005, 01:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

I guess there's nothing in Ohio, except azzholes.

Seems like this whole thread is pretty moronic in itself. What makes you different from all the other states in the union? Singapore is a country, not a state. So if you were trying to make a stupid point, it would be a thread called, "E60 for Americans". Who's the moron now?

Originally Posted by jeffreybowman' post='211742
I live in Atlanta, but have family in Newark. I've had my e60 in OH 2 times this year (last week to Columbus in fact), and 1 time last year...

Can I hang?
We welcome all who take an interest in the special experiences of driving an e60 in Ohio. You need not actually reside in the Buckeye State to "hang." Those who would insult us or our great state, however, are invited to move along.
[/quote]

Quick Reply: E60 for Ohioans