E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

For the E60.net old-timers

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 04:51 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

I was caught in a heavy snow blizzard the other week on the motorway doing around 30km/h with no other cars around and actually put my fogs on for better visibility immediately in front of the car... and couldn't help thinking "I hope Iceman doesn't find out otherwise I'm in for an ear full"

(I hope I haven't just set myself up for a ban )
Old 12-29-2009, 05:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='1081133' date='Dec 29 2009, 08:31 AM
We love - and miss - you, Ice.

Really - really - not to bring back this subject, but I've never understood why you thought fog lights were aimed high and blinded oncoming drivers. I thought their purpose was to be down low to illuminate the road just ahead of the driver. In any case, with the advent of HID lights, I think that fog lights are now superfluous.
+1 - the correct footprint of foglights is to do exactly what you said. Not counting high wattage, LED, or HID fogs, they aren't nearly as blinding as some low beams are. Stock foglamps are about 25w, about the same as most headlamp DRL's

I don't really use the fogs much on my BMW since IMO they don't really help much when the HID's are on. One of thes days I'll upgrade to HID fogs.

On the Camaro, different story - fogs are on whenever its not sunny outside. As long as its not illegal (GA law requires front lights to be on in any reduced visibility condition) it'll stay that way.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:38 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

A few comments...

1) I also agree that foglights don't aim high as they're usually focus low and wide to illuminate the ground and I've never felt like I've been blinded by someone with fogs on.

2) When you switch to HID lighting for fogs though, they are definitely brighter and actually become more like driving lights because of their intensity. They also don't work as well in penetrating fog as the brighter light is being reflected more. Yellow halogen foglights are the best in fog.

3) The LED DRLs on cars like the Audis seem a lot brighter to me than regular foglights and that's one of the reasons why Audi designed it so that one side would turn off so the other drivers can see the turning signals. They should have just integrated the turning signals into the LEDs or something cause it looks kinda lame. That said, I also love the LEDs on all those new cars and don't think they're boy racer at all.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:50 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 BMW 545iA ZSP, ZCW, HUD, Silvergrau

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='1081008' date='Dec 29 2009, 12:31 AM
Haha nothing is bigger than his sig pic! its the largest living mammal! LOL
Arrrr! Tis be a whale shark; largest living fish. Largest living mammal is a blue whale, ya land lubber!
Old 12-29-2009, 09:39 AM
Contributors

This is classic, old school e60 stuff. This is mono albums, 8-track players all over again. I think Iceman and I joined the forum around the same time. His "objection" to driving, in broad daylight, with only fog lights on is legendary. Iceman, kscarrol, Rudy, among others are the foundation of what has become the e60 forum. My suggestion, don't try - under any circumstances - to justify driving with only fog lights on a clear day to Iceman. Not on his watch, it is not going to happen without a little smack down. I saw the title, laughed and thought - here it comes.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by Excession' post='1081182' date='Dec 29 2009, 07:50 AM
Arrrr! Tis be a whale shark; largest living fish. Largest living mammal is a blue whale, ya land lubber!

*shrugs* you win.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:43 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by juan2mini' post='1081281' date='Dec 29 2009, 01:39 PM
This is classic, old school e60 stuff. This is mono albums, 8-track players all over again. I think Iceman and I joined the forum around the same time. His "objection" to driving, in broad daylight, with only fog lights on is legendary. Iceman, kscarrol, Rudy, among others are the foundation of what has become the e60 forum. My suggestion, don't try - under any circumstances - to justify driving with only fog lights on a clear day to Iceman. Not on his watch, it is not going to happen without a little smack down. I saw the title, laughed and thought - here it comes.
juan2mini, we joined this group within days of each other. I too respect the e60.net elders and will defer to their opinions whether I agree with them or not.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='1081133
I was caught in a heavy snow blizzard the other week on the motorway doing around 30km/h with no other cars around and actually put my fogs on for better visibility immediately in front of the car... and couldn't help thinking "I hope Iceman doesn't find out otherwise I'm in for an ear full"

(I hope I haven't just set myself up for a ban )

Your name has been added to the watch list.

Originally Posted by Excession' post='1081182' date='Dec 29 2009, 04:50 PM
Yep.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:12 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='1081352' date='Dec 29 2009, 03:36 PM
Your name has been added to the watch list.
xBMWx, sorry, but I'm pretty certain that the US Department of Homeland Security is now using Iceman's watch list.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:20 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: Jan 2006 E63 650i Sport . Options: Sport version (includes: sport-seats, sport-suspension, M-Sport steering wheel, Anthracite headliner, Shaddow Line), Saphire Black, Black Dakota Leather, Anthracite Maple Wood trim, Steptronic Auto, Xenons, NAV-Professional with Voice Control, TV, CD-Changer, Bluetooth, Logic7, Head-up Display, Comfort Access, Seat Heating front, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Extended Auto Air Conditioning, PDC. . Mods: Spacers 5mm front & 15mm rear . Wheels: 20" Alpina Softline (Classic) with Dunlop Sport Maxx non-RFT (255/35/20 & 285/30/20)

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='1081381' date='Dec 29 2009, 10:12 PM
xBMWx, sorry, but I'm pretty certain that the US Department of Homeland Security is now using Iceman's watch list.
First of all I buy a V8 during the climate summit in Copenhagen and now this I think its time to go into hiding...

Quick Reply: For the E60.net old-timers