E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 LCI 523i with cylinder injector fault - dealer can't get parts

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 08:40 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F10 530d Deep Sea Blue, Oyster/Black, Auto, Dynamic Pack, Professional Sat Nav, Professional Hi-Fi

Does anybody else have a problem with cylinder injectors with the new direct engines in the E60 LCI 5 series?

I got my car over a month ago and after a few days I noticed that the engine was a little "lumpy" at idle - I have had two 330Ci's before so I know how smooth the BMW 6 should be. Anyway, I told the dealer who said the service manager would contact me - she never did but I was too busy to chase as I had a new baby on the way.

On the very day my wife started to give birth - I was driving home, I braked at some traffic lights and the engine started shaking and shudering VERY violently. I'm guessing that if it had been a manual it wold have cut out. I continued on carefully - the problem wasn't so bad over 2,000 RPM and I was only 5 minutes from the house. I had to take my wife to the hospital in our other car because I didn't trust the BMW. But at least everything worked out well on that front - we have a beautiful new daughter

When I tried to drive the car the next day, it would barely move over 5 miles an hour and was completely unresponsive to the throttle. I called BMW assist the next day because I didn't want to damanage the engine driving it to the dealer. The technician plugged into the OBC and diagnosed a cylinder 1 injector fault. He removed the injector but couldn't find anything obvious. In doing so he switched the car out of limp-home mode and suggested that I could drive the car to the dealer 15 minutes away.

The dealer diagnosed the same problem and said the would order a new injector, gave me a loaner 318i and said it would be fixed in three days. Over two and half weeks later I am still waiting

Neither BMW Ireland, BMW UK nor unbelievably BMW Germany have any injectors in stock because it is a brand new engine type. The dealer appears to be very pro-active and is trying to sort out the problem. They tried to get an injector from one of their new demo 3 series, but the part number is different and the injectors are a different length. I suggested that they could at least get one from the factory but apparently BMW Germany won't do that. The deaer has also told me that they have one other 523i and a 3 series with the same problem. We are still waiting for them to even dispatch the part from Germany!

My question is: does anybody else have his problem or have any words of wisdom?

Many thanks.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:05 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by darraghn' post='429079' date='May 28 2007, 06:40 PM
Does anybody else have a problem with cylinder injectors with the new direct engines in the E60 LCI 5 series?

I got my car over a month ago and after a few days I noticed that the engine was a little "lumpy" at idle - I have had two 330Ci's before so I know how smooth the BMW 6 should be. Anyway, I told the dealer who said the service manager would contact me - she never did but I was too busy to chase as I had a new baby on the way.

On the very day my wife started to give birth - I was driving home, I braked at some traffic lights and the engine started shaking and shudering VERY violently. I'm guessing that if it had been a manual it wold have cut out. I continued on carefully - the problem wasn't so bad over 2,000 RPM and I was only 5 minutes from the house. I had to take my wife to the hospital in our other car because I didn't trust the BMW. But at least everything worked out well on that front - we have a beautiful new daughter

When I tried to drive the car the next day, it would barely move over 5 miles an hour and was completely unresponsive to the throttle. I called BMW assist the next day because I didn't want to damanage the engine driving it to the dealer. The technician plugged into the OBC and diagnosed a cylinder 1 injector fault. He removed the injector but couldn't find anything obvious. In doing so he switched the car out of limp-home mode and suggested that I could drive the car to the dealer 15 minutes away.

The dealer diagnosed the same problem and said the would order a new injector, gave me a loaner 318i and said it would be fixed in three days. Over two and half weeks later I am still waiting

Neither BMW Ireland, BMW UK nor unbelievably BMW Germany have any injectors in stock because it is a brand new engine type. The dealer appears to be very pro-active and is trying to sort out the problem. They tried to get an injector from one of their new demo 3 series, but the part number is different and the injectors are a different length. I suggested that they could at least get one from the factory but apparently BMW Germany won't do that. The deaer has also told me that they have one other 523i and a 3 series with the same problem. We are still waiting for them to even dispatch the part from Germany!

My question is: does anybody else have his problem or have any words of wisdom?

Many thanks.
Hey!
Sounds like we're in the same boat!
Mine is in the shop with exactly the same problem (cyl 5 in my case)!
Diagnosed last thursday and today I got a call from my dealer saying that they don't know when they will get a spare injector! Last word was that they suspect it will take atleast another 5 working days!

Crap...I'm driving a Volvo S80 diesel as a loaner, well actually a rental car through BMW assistance...but...I want my baby back! Now!
Old 05-30-2007, 01:04 AM
Members

My Ride: F10 530d Deep Sea Blue, Oyster/Black, Auto, Dynamic Pack, Professional Sat Nav, Professional Hi-Fi

Just got a call from my dealer. He said they have temporarily stopped production of the N53 engine in anticipitation of a modified cylinder injector design and to make supply available to those of us off the road across Europe. The parts were due in Germany today so hopefully I?ll get my car back this Friday??.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:32 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by darraghn' post='429779' date='May 30 2007, 11:04 AM
Just got a call from my dealer. He said they have temporarily stopped production of the N53 engine in anticipitation of a modified cylinder injector design and to make supply available to those of us off the road across Europe. The parts were due in Germany today so hopefully I?ll get my car back this Friday??.
Just got mine back
They've "borrowed" a injector from a showroom car. So the problem is fixed, for now.
However, manager said that they will probably get instructions that they will change all injectors as soon as they have them ready.
Apparently, BMW will change faulty injectors on some diesels too... I just saw the BMW paper at my dealer.

Main thing is that my baby is back again ..wheee!
Old 06-06-2007, 01:00 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Scandic24' post='429787' date='May 30 2007, 10:32 AM
Just got mine back
They've "borrowed" a injector from a showroom car. So the problem is fixed, for now.
However, manager said that they will probably get instructions that they will change all injectors as soon as they have them ready.
Apparently, BMW will change faulty injectors on some diesels too... I just saw the BMW paper at my dealer.

Main thing is that my baby is back again ..wheee!
Got mine back yesterday. They only replaced the 1 Injector. So I am a little concerned that one of the other 5 will fail at some point in the future. Dealer said they are sending my failed part and other cylinder injectors from other customers back to Germany for inspection. He said they will then decide if they are to implement a general recall.

Car is still a little "lumpy" at idle. In previous BMW 6 cylinder cars I've owned I found it difficult to tell if the engine was running at idle, with this one it is very obvious. Does anybody lese have the same problem?

PS. No goodwill gesture from BMW despite my brand new car being off the road for three and a half weeks - longer than I had been driving it
Old 06-13-2007, 02:05 PM
Senior Members

My car has started to show same symptoms as before!
Engine feels jerky sometimes at low revs.
Just waiting for the "engine fault"-symbol to show up again...
I read that BMW are looking at changing the injectors for new ones w new design. Does anyone know if BMW is getting somewhere with this?
Old 06-13-2007, 04:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: In a place where the Mercedes density is the highest in the world (no. of MB per square kilometer) I choose a Bimmer, why? because of one thing "The Ultimate Driving Experience" My Ride: 523i Steptronic, Silver Grey Exterior, Black Interior with Black Dakota Leather and Maple Wood Trim. Chrome Grill, Style 123 rim, Airbags everywhere, PDC, Rain sensor, Auto lights, Moveable front armrest, Advance Climate Control, Glass Sunroof, Auto dimming interior and exterior mirror with foldable functions, Extended Lights package, 6 CD changer in glove box, Power seats with memory, Power adjustable steering wheel, Power rear sunblinds. Add ons: 123 wheels, chrome grill, K&N Hi flow filter, Eibach Pro Kit, e60.net decal and 24,000km Past rides: 2001 Nissan Xterra SE 1999 E39 523i 1999 E46 323i 1996 Acura Integra LS

Congrats to your new daughter.

And sorry to hear about your bimmer. I did have a similar problem before but it was not the injector's fault as the service guy can still drive the car but when it's idling is really rough. They said a problem with one of the sensor in the VANOS. Now the car seem to act up again. I find that the idling speed seem to be pretty low at 700rpm and therefore sometime the engine will shrudder at idle and one time the car stall when starting on an incline and I have an auto.

I should check in with the dealer soon as my warranty is about to expire.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:15 AM
Members

Gosh! I thought mine was the only one with this problem. I got my LCI 530i (N53) delivered on April 20th and last week after 1500 miles I got exactly the same symptoms described above, there was a drop in power and vibrations at low revs and idle.

Was told by the dealer that it was a Fuel Injector problem and the part is in global back order and it will take upto 10 working days to get it.

I do really hope that that the comments by a BMW Manager to scandic24 is correct and they will re-design and replace all the injectors.

Regards,

ASenna04
Old 06-14-2007, 07:25 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Scandic24' post='435457' date='Jun 13 2007, 11:05 PM
I read that BMW are looking at changing the injectors for new ones w new design. Does anyone know if BMW is getting somewhere with this?
If it's a design problem there'll be a general recall.

If it's a batch problem there may be a limited recall taking place at the next service visit.

ABC
Old 06-14-2007, 07:37 AM
Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='435707' date='Jun 14 2007, 10:25 AM
If it's a design problem there'll be a general recall.

If it's a batch problem there may be a limited recall taking place at the next service visit.

ABC
OK, lets try and figure out if it is a batch problem. My LCI was built around week 14 (2nd April - 6th April). Do you guys who have had similar problem know when your E60 was produced? If it is around the same time period then it is likely to be a batch problem.

ASenna04

Quick Reply: E60 LCI 523i with cylinder injector fault - dealer can't get parts