E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E60 audio upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 07:55 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530iA

Hi,

its been while (7+ years) when I was playing with my car audio. Since I got E60 I've made my personal research about what will be the best for me. I'm not fanatic listener, but I like to have best solution in compare to low cost. I spend many hours reading here and other world-wide BMW forums and it seems, that the best for me will be to replace underseat woofers and add amp. Right now I got the lowest setup (is it Hi-Fi?) - 6 speakers, modified by added Alpine tweeters + common crossover with original door speaker (unfortunatelly Alpine mid-range speaker already in another car). It's much better for sure, but I still missing (ofcourse) bass. What I got from my old car is Crunch amp V-400 which has 2x200 or 1x400RMS. I was thinking to add sub-box into trunk, but it comes up, that the result might not be as good as expected (bass trapped in trunk). Plus I dont have any ski bag doors, nor my back seats could not be tilted.

So am I right that replacing of underseat woofers is the best solution for me? If yes, are there any other speakers except Earthquake SWS-8? I could not find them on our local market. Maybe if anyone would know the maximum mounting depth - I could find alternative speaker by myself. I saw that SWS has 50mm. There are some other brands around 58mm - would it fit too?

And my biggest doubts - is my amp usable for this setup in E60? Like I mentioned, I dont have even factory amp in trunk, so I have no idea how to hook it up (can imagine some signal converter from underseat speakers, but how to do on/off for amp?).

For imagination, here is the link with pictures of that amp http://www.autohificlub.cz/forum/7/1...unch-v-400/130
It has "HI-Input" - so I suppose I could be able to connect signals from speakers there, right? Do I need something else?

Any comments appreciated
Old 09-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

The best step up audio upgrade is to use the stock speakers

Add a JBL MS-8 for amp and Logic 7 processing
Add a center Dash speaker
Add member Technic's audio harness.

Although it can be improved, the MS-8 amp will really bring out the bass on the stock underseat woofers.
The following users liked this post:
DLH525i2007 (11-20-2021)
Old 09-05-2012, 11:11 PM
Members

Thx for reply balbs,

well to be honest, I'm not sure if byuing JBL MS-8 is worth when it costs about 650$+. Plus I never heard about it so far, I think its possible to add more and better power by e.g. swapping front component speakers + amp. I did it like this in my old car - it cost about 250$, so I would still have money for subwoofer and one more extra amp.

What I learned from audio gurus in past was, that its much better for example to buy better component front speakers + amd instead of 4x koaxial - to have sound all around you.

BTW - what exactly is "Logic 7 processing" - DSP? Cool, but that will probably not easy to get (and for good price).

About central dash speaker - truly - what is the advantage? Mid-range frequencies? That can be covered by replacing better component front speakers I guess...or?

Add member Technic's audio harness - what is this please? Sorry my english is not the best, does it mean some special device?

Like I mentioned - I'd like keep balance between spent money and outcome efficiency.
Old 09-06-2012, 02:57 PM
Contributors

Here some info on Technic's wiring harness. Basically it makes it easier to add an aftermarket amp.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/116...l-harness-set/

Here's info on the JBL MS-8. The MS-8 with center dash speaker helps you get Surround Sound in your car.

https://5series.net/forums/topic/124...1#entry1449871
Old 09-06-2012, 07:09 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by balbs
The best step up audio upgrade is to use the stock speakers

Add a JBL MS-8 for amp and Logic 7 processing
Add a center Dash speaker
Add member Technic's audio harness.

Although it can be improved, the MS-8 amp will really bring out the bass on the stock underseat woofers.
I dont think the best step up audio upgrade is this....

I changed my whole system and am using Morel speakers all around and JL subs in trunk. Sound does get trapped in boot, so i just cut a hole where the ski port should be and its great!
Old 09-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will definitely need the MS-8 or an equivalent sound processor.
The power without quality is worthless... And the stock headunit could not deliver you that quality. Unless you recode it to L7 or Individual (Top hifi) audio. But for this to work you will have to add also the OE amp and harness, including de optical fiber between HU and Amp.

PS: believe me, it's true.
The following users liked this post:
DLH525i2007 (11-20-2021)
Old 09-07-2012, 12:10 AM
Members

Ok, after reading all the posts I believe adding MS-8 is really worth. If I understood correctly - I have standard so called "Stereo" E60 sound system, where I will need:

"Quadralock harness but without the 20-pin harness and with separate cables for each underseat woofer" + e.g. MS-8 + some aftermarket dash speaker. Additionally I could add more amps - e.g. 1 for external sub, 1 for interior door speakers. Am I correct?

This fun above will cost me more than I wanted to invest at the beggining, plus I'm not sure where to get the wiring set in Europe - any experiencies? I count all that might be 1000$ + (just MS-8, wiring set, dash speaker and shipping from US).

So before I completly forget about my currently owned amp and start to save money - is there some cheaper possibility how to use the amp I got together with "Stereo" sound system? I was thinking about at least powering up the underseat woofers...

Hmm when I'm thinking about it now - that will be probably problem as in the "Stereo" distribution - they are hooked up in parallel with front doors speakers right? So I will need wiring set anyway...:/ Dammit..
Old 09-07-2012, 01:29 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sonny...
"Quadralock harness but without the 20-pin harness and with separate cables for each underseat woofer" + e.g. MS-8 + some aftermarket dash speaker. Additionally I could add more amps - e.g. 1 for external sub, 1 for interior door speakers. Am I correct?
Correct.

is there some cheaper possibility how to use the amp I got together with "Stereo" sound system? I was thinking about at least powering up the underseat woofers...
Yes, the amp you got could be used for powering the underseat woofers (after you change it with something better). Don't use SWS-8 speakers. They have very bad reviews, even on this forum. You culd use something from Ground zero, Focal, Pioneer, etc... f you read so much on the internet about this common bmw problem, sure you've found some better examples. Just watch the power and impedance of them to be accordingly with your amp.

I count all that might be 1000$
With all that you need, maybe ~1500$

they are hooked up in parallel with front doors speakers right? So I will need wiring set anyway...
That is correct.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:36 AM
Members

Thx 4 reply C_o_s_m_i_n,

dont you know by chance maximum possible depth of under-seat woofers? Not sure how much space is below and above the speaker (maybe possible to make reducing rings and use a bit taller speaker).

@Europeans - any experiences where to get that damn wiring set? Or I also saw possibility that some of the amp made by Blaupunkt (5 or 2 channels) has wiring set included in package and could be used. That would be maybe the easiest option.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:44 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mark_hk
I dont think the best step up audio upgrade is this....

I changed my whole system and am using Morel speakers all around and JL subs in trunk. Sound does get trapped in boot, so i just cut a hole where the ski port should be and its great!
You're thinking old school basic 2 channel stereo here. While new speakers may be better, the "wholeness" of the system is not upgraded.

Originally Posted by C_o_s_m_i_n
You will definitely need the MS-8 or an equivalent sound processor.
The power without quality is worthless... And the stock headunit could not deliver you that quality. Unless you recode it to L7 or Individual (Top hifi) audio. But for this to work you will have to add also the OE amp and harness, including de optical fiber between HU and Amp.

PS: believe me, it's true.
+1000...Nowadays, music is not just left and right channels anymore. It's also stage presence and ambiance. I like listening to music in my home theater surround system at home. Now I like doing the same when I'm in my car. The MS-8 (to me) has enough power to push the stock speakers to its potential. Now I can't wait to see how upgraded speakers would sound.

Quick Reply: E60 audio upgrade