E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 Amplifier Advice Please

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 11:17 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK - as an engineer I'm not proud of this - but I've mounted them just below the mid loudspeaker using Dynamat. Essentially I've used the Dynamat as you would use, say, fibregalass matting. The downside, and my fear when I did this, is that they do slow the windows a touch as they reach the last 2 inches or so of travel.

There simply is no reason for the crossover units to be in such large enclosures - I counted 4 components on the PCB.

My plan is to fit a centre speaker and a JBL MS-8 - then I can get rid of the crossovers.

I really want to get hold of one of Technics' harnesses though.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:13 PM
Members

My Ride: A4
Model Year: 2017

I believe they were installed in the doors, but I didn't watch the installation.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:09 PM
Members

I have now completed the installation of my Jehnert Flatline package.

My initial reaction is 'this is supposed to be an upgrade?' Not impressed - the speakers in the rear of the car now seem to dominate the sound balance. I have output from the new speakers - bass from the woofers, mid from the mids and high from the tweeters, but.....

Perhaps it will improve with running in but I'm not hopeful.

Overall it seems a retrograde step from the OE speakers.

Perhaps I should have tried it without the crossovers for the mid/high.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:19 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: '04 E61 525d TITANGRAU II METALLIC (A36) LEDER DAKOTA/BEIGE 3 (LCBA) SIDE AIRBAG FOR REAR PASSENGERS ALARM SYSTEM ROOF RAIL SUNBLINDS FOR REAR SIDE WINDOWS, MECH FLOOR MATS, VELOUR INT/EXT RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-DAZZLE INTERIOR RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-DAZZLE WOOD TRIM CUPHOLDER SEAT HEATING F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER HEADLIGHT WASHER SYSTEM PARK DISTANCE CONTROL (PDC) XENON LIGHT ADAPTIVE HEADLIGHTS AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING CRUISE CONTROL NAVIGATION SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL CAR TELEPHONE PROFESSIONAL CD CHANGER BMW FOR 6 CDS

The crossovers for the mid/highs are required. Without them you would send frequencies that are to low to the tweeters and you will blow them. This is not your problem.

After reading the PDF mentioned above I'm not sure but it's possible the OEM Hifi speakers have an impedance of 2 Ohms. I know the Logic7's do. If they are 2 Ohms then this is your problem. The new Jehnert speakers are 4 Ohms. This means simply putted, the amplifiers now only send half the power to the speakers. This will result in lower volumes compared to the OEM speakers. Hence the dominance of the rear speakers now.

These Jehnert speakers were never designed to be used with the factory amps. They're ment to be used with stronger aftermarket amps.

I don't have the Jehnert upgrade but I have a similar upgrade from Audio-System (the X-Ion 200 BMW), along with a RF 3Sixty.2 processor and a DLS Ultimate A7 Amp. The difference with the basic audio system I had before (not Hifi) is massive. A while back I had the opportunity to listen a Logic7 setup in a E92 and I can honnestly say my system is better altough it uses far less speakers. It has better soundstage, better frequency responce, clearer sound and louder volumes without distortion compared to an OEM Logic7 system.

As I said, I'm not familiar with the Jenhert package but it should be able to produce similar results when combined with a decent processor and amplifier. The center speaker isn't needed to get a good soundstage. A decent processor with time allignment is all you need. If you buy the MS-8 you could combine it with a center speaker and use the build in Logic7 but I wouldn't reccomend that. Music is recorded in stereo, not in surround. Music therefore is to be played back in stereo, not surround...

Upgrade your amps and add a processor and you will be amazed of those speakers. I'm pretty sure of this.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:41 PM
Members

Thank you Bimmerstyle - that makes perfect sense.

Oh well, my misguided understanding was that this was a pnp upgrade. I shall have to consider my next steps carefully - when I can afford it.