E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comfort access vs. remote control

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 03:50 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530iA

Hi,

I got following problem on my E60 530iA, 3/2006. I bought this car with "High rate of battery discharge" message, when leave the car few days without driving + bad functionality of comfort access in driver doors (could unlock, but couldn't lock). I have replaced car battery (old was original 6 years old) by new one, but the message is still there. I checked couple forums and ideas and it seems that the problem is with that comfort access in driver doors. At the moment, my mechanic is not sure what exactly there could be wrong (door handle, some unit inside, something else....) Do you have any experiencies? I do not want him to do experiments on my car which will cost me unnecessary money.

I had it on DIS diag. - only this CA driver door error was written. No IBS error, no TCU error (these were also ideas of ther BMW owners based on their experiencies).

Additinally some time ago (already having battery discharge error) I started to having problems with unlocking car by remote control from far away as I used to do. Sometimes I need to even be just next to car to unlock it. Then I drive somewhere, go out, come back in 10 min. and it works again from far away. Does it has connection with CA? It also happened few times, that when I had some doors open and do e.g. vacuuming it randomly start to locking the car :/

Any ideas or proposals welcomed and appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-16-2012, 04:05 AM
Members

Additional comments: car battery was registered via diagnostic tool when replaced. Plus I have also changed battery in my remote control - just to be sure its not because of that. No changes...
Old 08-16-2012, 05:02 AM
Contributors

Seems you've done all the correct steps to isolate the battery (and CA battery) as problem areas. It's possible the driver door CA module is faulty. I read it's a common problem - I suggest you search the forum for other reports and details.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:52 PM
Members

Well, to be honest - I did. But each post was only part of my problem, I got mixure of various.

@Update - we did diagnostic on car today afternoon - and there were same errors as last week. CA functionality problem - outside door handle failure (or something like that). Question is - is it handle or is it wrong behaviour of CA module inside driver door. :/ The only thing we did next to coupleof diagnostic tests was to reset CA module which was possible. Will see tommorrow morning the results, but I dont expect any change. It could not be fixed so easy for sure in my case
Old 08-16-2012, 09:17 PM
Members

So like I expected - reset of CA module did not helped.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:20 AM
Members

Unfortunatelly new problem occured just today. Driver's door won't lock/unlock by remote control. I'm starting to think - it seems like some wires inside drivers door are damaged :/
Old 08-23-2012, 04:24 AM
Members

Folks, no ideas at all?

The problem with locking / unlocking drivers door disappeared just next morning. Since that on problem with locking / unlocking. "High rate of battery discharge" problems still persist...
Old 08-23-2012, 05:36 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Sonny...
Folks, no ideas at all?

The problem with locking / unlocking drivers door disappeared just next morning. Since that on problem with locking / unlocking. "High rate of battery discharge" problems still persist...
Just because the Driver door CA worked today is no guarantee it is not faulty. One of your earlier posts mentioned faulty wiring in the door?? Did you see that or are you 'thinking' it is a problem. Maybe you could swap the driver door CA with a known good piece to see if that eliminates or points to the problem.

Sadly, it's very very difficult to diagnose from afar and e60s are so complex that these electronic gremlins are horrible to sort out even in person.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:16 AM
Members

CA functionality of drivers door are still the same - basicly not working properly all the time (can unlock, can't lock). What stopped and started to working within 1 day was my new problem I mentioned before with remote control lock/unlock drivers door. The rest of doors works properly. This problem had duration not more than 24hours. I just wanted to mentione that, to give you complete picture about situation.

Based on DIS diag - it said - faulty CA functionality - drivers door outside handle. I have created post in our local BMW Czech forum, wheather there is someone who is villing for bottle of Jägermeister do exchange of it - unfortunatelly no-one responded:/

I also talked with local servis (not BMW dealer, but at least got so called "BMW partnership" certificate) - they have no experiencies with that :/

I know it's not easy to diagnose car through internet, I just wanted to open discussion about it and possibly share solution with others
Old 08-23-2012, 08:11 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by Sonny...
CA functionality of drivers door are still the same - basicly not working properly all the time (can unlock, can't lock). What stopped and started to working within 1 day was my new problem I mentioned before with remote control lock/unlock drivers door. The rest of doors works properly. This problem had duration not more than 24hours. I just wanted to mentione that, to give you complete picture about situation.

Based on DIS diag - it said - faulty CA functionality - drivers door outside handle. I have created post in our local BMW Czech forum, wheather there is someone who is villing for bottle of Jägermeister do exchange of it - unfortunatelly no-one responded:/

I also talked with local servis (not BMW dealer, but at least got so called "BMW partnership" certificate) - they have no experiencies with that :/

I know it's not easy to diagnose car through internet, I just wanted to open discussion about it and possibly share solution with others
DIS is telling you what the problem is. Why not try replacing the handle? If you search a lot of post on here you will find that the door handle are often the cause of battery drains in CA cars. DIS seems to be pointing to your door handle, replace it or swap it with a friend.

Quick Reply: Comfort access vs. remote control