E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 80-120KPH times

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 02:36 AM
stu
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Skaffa - keep us updated on the mod please.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Originally Posted by stu' date='Nov 22 2004, 02:36 PM
Hi Skaffa - keep us updated on the mod please.
[snapback]59249[/snapback]
Sure thing! Already Friday if hotel have internet access available.

Skaffa
Old 11-22-2004, 04:48 AM
Members

My Ride: Currently in a 2003 e46 M3 Cab Waiting to get a 535d Sport with individual and all the extras...

Also the 535d is Auto only - so that makes a little difference in the real world from both views - you probably wont wory to much about the high revs running out for example but there is not way you'll get to 100mph as quick as a manual or smg 545...

but as mentioned the 535d wont be left for dead
Old 11-22-2004, 05:04 AM

I always think that one of the best ways of testing the cars abilties is taking it around a track. And just look at the track times around hockenheim, the diesel wins.

petrol diesel
Old 11-22-2004, 06:12 AM
Senior Members

Hi Skaffa,
I have the Schnitzer fuel line ECU in my 530D gains were 16% on power and 10% on torque.

Kempower is claiming 25% and 20% respectively!!! This is huge, please ask them to back up this claim with dyno graphs (even though these can be fiddled).

Please aslo find out if they are working on the engine ECU or the fuel line ECU. If it is a bolt on piggy back unit that is T'd into the exisitng harness (like my Schnitzer one) and can be removed, then they must show you where they have done this in case you want to remove it when the car goes in for service.

I have been in touch with a company here that does similar work to Kempower but the problem they have is that they can't get hold of the male and female plugs needed to make the harness for the piggy back plug n play unit for the engine ECU. Hence the only option we have here so far is the fuel line ECU option.

Please get as much information as you can as I would be most interested.

Regards

Streak
Old 11-22-2004, 06:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by streak' date='Nov 22 2004, 06:12 PM
Hi Skaffa,
I have the Schnitzer fuel line ECU in my 530D gains were 16% on power and 10% on torque.

Kempower is claiming 25% and 20% respectively!!! This is huge, please ask them to back up this claim with dyno graphs (even though these can be fiddled).

Please aslo find out if they are working on the engine ECU or the fuel line ECU. If it is a bolt on piggy back unit that is T'd into the exisitng harness (like my Schnitzer one) and can be removed, then they must show you where they have done this in case you want to remove it when the car goes in for service.

I have been in touch with a company here that does similar work to Kempower but the problem they have is that they can't get hold of the male and female plugs needed to make the harness for the piggy back plug n play unit for the engine ECU. Hence the only option we have here so far is the fuel line ECU option.

Please get as much information as you can as I would be most interested.

Regards

Streak
[snapback]59316[/snapback]
Car will be on rolling road before and after both curves provided. I wanted this because it will be tuned specially to my car on rolls.

This new ECU, but I asked is it easy to change back to original and they said that it will not take more than few minutes to change old back. I also asked that can service detect this and aswer was clear "NO". I don't know then...

I will be there whole time and take some pictures, if they don't mind.

Skaffa
Old 11-22-2004, 08:39 AM
Senior Members

OK Skaffa.
If they are going to be setting it specifically for your car then it does suggest the engine ECU route with mapping changes. The fuel line ECU route just works with fuel pressure.

The fuel line unit has two cables that T's into the fuel line harness at the front of the engine with the plastic cover removed. The box is no bigger than a 20 pack of cigarettes. If it's the engine ECU unit it will probably go under the plastic ECU cover against the fire wall and will consist of probably more than one set of plugs.

Although the dealer cant usually tell its there unless they find it, sometimes if fuel or boost pressure is made higher it can throw out an error on the fault memory. It's not worth taking a chance and voiding your warranty. If it's that easy to remove before a service then I would do it.

Good luck and enjoy the extra power.

Streak
Old 11-23-2004, 04:31 AM
Contributors

I'm worried to use those boxes which only increase fuel pressure through whole rpm range. It's rude way to get more power blindly increase fuel flow. How those box systems take care that fuel/air mixture does not got rich (smoke in diesels)?

Kempower gives good warrantys to their parts, work and, most important, to my car engine.

Let's see how it goes. I trust BMW after 12tkm and I will enjoy that extra power.

Skaffa
Old 11-23-2004, 08:09 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by clived' date='Nov 22 2004, 12:33 PM
[quote name='andy545' date='Nov 22 2004, 09:59 AM']Don't get me wrong. I think all 5's are great cars and don't wish to compete at that type of level. Engine selection is a personal thing for everyone. I'm merely stating the merits of both engines!!
[snapback]59230[/snapback]
Hi Andy, I totally agree with you - and I actually would be quite surprised to find the 535D actually quicker in any accelleration "segment" than the 545i in the real world.... my point was just that if you chose the best gear in the 535d and the best gear in the 545i (obviously probably different gears) I honestly don't think you'd be saying "bye bye" (as in totally leaving for dead) the 535d.

I really would be interested to try this head to head test once my car has arrived (and is run in!) - it would be a lot of fun

Clive
[snapback]59247[/snapback]
[/quote]

You're right, maybe " bye-bye" was the wrong metaphore there!
For the rest I agree.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:30 AM
Senior Members

Yes Skaffa you are right.

We look forward to your report after your fitment and pictures PLEASE of the device has been fitted.

Streak

Quick Reply: E60 80-120KPH times