E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E60 535d with 6sp manual

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 12:29 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535d
Model Year: E61 2006

Originally Posted by Lucky' post='356836' date='Nov 16 2006, 04:53 PM
Sorry, my friend, I don't believe that any 330d can really deliver 300 hp and 650 nm of torque. It's a fact that the standard manual gearbox is not designed to handle such a huge torque value and the same is for the clutch, that will worn out very quickly. In any case, unless those car receive plentiful of care and attention and a sort of preplanned, very costly and internsive, maintenance, there very few chances that such an overtuned engine will survive for long.
I think that you are forgetting something: E46 330d has 184hp/192hp and E46 330cd has 204hp. And the two 330cd with 300hp and 650nm are real. The only thing that you need to care is that without a racing clutch you must not pull hard at low rpms above 3rd gear.
Old 11-18-2006, 05:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 523i. Alpine white, dakota leather, 8 speed auto, VDC, bluetooth, HID lights, parking sensors, sport seats, black window trim, tinted rear windows 1988 Ferrari 328 GTS, nero on rosso corsa. 1992 Mazda MX-5 / Miata 2009 Ford S-Max 2.5T

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='356878' date='Nov 16 2006, 07:54 PM
Agree! With this much torque (and more to come) you indeed only have to put it in D and then step on the gas/wait for a second or so and then whooooosh off you go in an endless surge of acceleration. Overtaking is such a joke in those conditions
The "wait for a second or so" part is exactly why I'd prefer a manual. Also the fact that I would like it to whoooooosh off in an endless surge of acceleration but it prefers to change down and then go through the gears. I know I can always go to DS and manual mode but I just don't like it that after switching to DS I need to shift up or down to trigger manual mode.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:07 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by PoleApart' post='357585' date='Nov 18 2006, 02:25 PM
[snip]I just don't like it that after switching to DS I need to shift up or down to trigger manual mode.
Funny that. The first Steptronic (in 840Ci, IIRC) did exactly what you describe, and went to manual when you pushed (pulled) the lever to the left. The "sport mode" was on a button. BMW changed it "in response to drivers demand" - or so they said...
Old 11-19-2006, 10:30 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by PoleApart' post='357585' date='Nov 18 2006, 06:25 PM
The "wait for a second or so" part is exactly why I'd prefer a manual. Also the fact that I would like it to whoooooosh off in an endless surge of acceleration but it prefers to change down and then go through the gears. I know I can always go to DS and manual mode but I just don't like it that after switching to DS I need to shift up or down to trigger manual mode.
I was talking more about turbo-lag which is still present even in the 535d. Gearbox works like a charm, and D is just a more relaxed mode and it's normal to have the delay since if you're relaxed then the engine is relaxed right?--->meaning low rpms, if you decide to step on it, it simply changes to a lower gear and that's the same thing when you are in a manual gearbox since i doubt you drive in optimum rev range all the time (above 2500-3000 rpm) and the time to change gears manually is the same or even grater than in the auto. If you want to really drive fast choose DS and there is no lag from the gearbox whatsoever since it will always be in the optimum rev range.
Old 11-19-2006, 10:36 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='358070' date='Nov 19 2006, 07:30 PM
[snip] Gearbox works like a charm[snip]
No it don't. Well, mine doesn't. Or at least a different charm. I think I need a recoding/updating, as the car has been running with the same s/w since new (April 05 - V 19.something?), but there's a lot of gearbox lag at low speeds, even in DS.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='358072' date='Nov 19 2006, 11:36 PM
No it don't. Well, mine doesn't. Or at least a different charm. I think I need a recoding/updating, as the car has been running with the same s/w since new (April 05 - V 19.something?), but there's a lot of gearbox lag at low speeds, even in DS.
Odd since my car was built in June or so and we probably have the same software. What do you mean gearbox lag at low speeds? At what rpms or it doesn't matter? Mine does have the lag only in D mode but that's part because of the low rpms at which the car drives most of the time because of the shifting points and D maps but also part the turbo lag. In DS all is cured.
PS: For the record i only had a transmission slam in the brake-in period. I'm glad it didn't reapeat since. Awfull feeling, just like being hit from behind.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Eccelsa, 05 2005 (built 12-04), sapphireblack, beige dakota leather, electric seats, poplar wood trim, sport suspension, 124 style 18" alloys, differentiated f/r runflat tyres, steptronic, adaptive light control, bi-xenon, BMW PRO nav, cd, cd changer, electric-foldable and automatic antidazzle rear mirrors, automatic antidazzle internal rear mirror, adjustable central armrest, BT, Hifi Professional LOGIC7 , extended functions aircon, full lighting package, green comfort fascia on windshield, PDC park distance control, voice control, CPT9000 car phone, BMW Assist, BMW On-line, BMW Tracking, alarm system, programmable remote controls.

Originally Posted by Tiago' post='356923' date='Nov 16 2006, 10:29 PM
I think that you are forgetting something: E46 330d has 184hp/192hp and E46 330cd has 204hp. And the two 330cd with 300hp and 650nm are real. The only thing that you need to care is that without a racing clutch you must not pull hard at low rpms above 3rd gear.
Yes, I know, and for this reason I don't believe any seriuos tuner will tune a 3.0 L series production engine to deliver 50% MORE power and torque without a lot of mechanical modifications (to say : heavy duty clutch, better cooling, better lubrication of moving parts, possibly heavy duty gear sprockets and possibly more).

All the electronic tuners on the market (well, all the most reputed ones) offer software tuning with, on average, about 15% increase in power and torque. You can squeeze more from your engine, no doubt, but the mechanical reliability will greatly suffer and the driving quality too as well.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:27 AM
Members

My Ride: '06 535d M-Sport Individual Deep Green Metallic 19" Style 172 wheels Individual Champagne leather Media Pack Visibility pack Sunroof Privacy glass

I have a minor beef with mine that it usually tries to start in 2nd gear. If you want to nail it, say turning right out of a side road to fit into a tight gap in the traffic, there's this huge pause while the gearbox "thinks" about a shift into 1st.

Unfortunately, by this time the gap has passed and your left stranded half way accross the junction!
Old 11-20-2006, 10:47 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='358356' date='Nov 20 2006, 09:34 AM
Odd since my car was built in June or so and we probably have the same software. What do you mean gearbox lag at low speeds? At what rpms or it doesn't matter? Mine does have the lag only in D mode but that's part because of the low rpms at which the car drives most of the time because of the shifting points and D maps but also part the turbo lag. In DS all is cured.
PS: For the record i only had a transmission slam in the brake-in period. I'm glad it didn't reapeat since. Awfull feeling, just like being hit from behind.
When I'm at a standstill (in D, DS or M1) and trying to move off gently, it seems to take a while before the transmission "takes" - revs get up to 1500/1800 or so, then the car moves and revs go down. Why on earth does it do that when it has more torque available than a tugboat?

If I push on the accelerator, then there's no hesitation, and it's DSC time. But the passengers don't always appreciate banging their heads against the headrests.

Once it gets moving, then everything is fine as long as revs don't drop below 1200 or so. Until I try to stop (gently), when I get noticeable - if minor - slam in D, which is due to the car engaging 1st at the wrong moment when stopping (generally too early, i.e. with the car still moving although you are trying to get to a gentle stop). Less apparent in DS and nothing if I use M mode. Clearly a programming problem, rather than a mechanical one. It seems to correspond to what many others have reported also on V8s (which is not surprising, as the 'box is the same)
Old 11-20-2006, 11:37 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by dlevi67' post='358479' date='Nov 20 2006, 11:47 PM
When I'm at a standstill (in D, DS or M1) and trying to move off gently, it seems to take a while before the transmission "takes" - revs get up to 1500/1800 or so, then the car moves and revs go down. Why on earth does it do that when it has more torque available than a tugboat?

If I push on the accelerator, then there's no hesitation, and it's DSC time. But the passengers don't always appreciate banging their heads against the headrests.

Once it gets moving, then everything is fine as long as revs don't drop below 1200 or so. Until I try to stop (gently), when I get noticeable - if minor - slam in D, which is due to the car engaging 1st at the wrong moment when stopping (generally too early, i.e. with the car still moving although you are trying to get to a gentle stop). Less apparent in DS and nothing if I use M mode. Clearly a programming problem, rather than a mechanical one. It seems to correspond to what many others have reported also on V8s (which is not surprising, as the 'box is the same)
Hmmm...i understand. Before you said about the programming problem i was thinking exactly at the opposite, about the construction of the steptronic. I was thinking about the torque converter which untill it locks up or when the acceleration input delivers the torque through it, there might be the 'normal' heistation just like you would partially engage the clutch at low rpms. It's just like when you drive a manual and you travel at low speeds and low rpms, and you just ensure that you won't stall the engine and partially engage the clutch. I dunno if i made myself clear enough. I may be wrong though.
BTW did you notice that when in M1 and you lift off the brake pedal to start moving slowly (like in heavy traffic) the car moves and accelerates way slower than in D or DS?! I didn't get that. I wonder why...

Quick Reply: E60 535d with 6sp manual