E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E60 525d - acceleration on a cold day

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 04:51 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 Euro IV 525d SE. Metallic Titanium Grey, Xenons, Active Sterring, 17inch alloys RFTs.

Hi

I have an E60 525d manual, which when starting from after a cold night (-1C or so) has no acceleration at all - its as if the car is limiting me to some kind of "Emergency mode". There is no DTC light flashing and no other warning messages. Once the car is warmed up and on second time starting it clears and normal acceleration is available - really frustrating pulling out of a junction and then having a queue of traffic behind me as I take ages to get to a max of 30/40mph.

I had it back to the dealer but I don't think they believe me (And of course very difficult to demonstrate as the car is warm when they get it:-() - They "fixed" a pressure sensor but the problem remains. I did toggle the DTC switch and that seemed to clear it too - but I can't be sure.

Anybody heard of anything similar?

Cheers

TurboukToo
Old 12-19-2005, 07:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Does it happen everytime at start up? It sounds like the car went into "Limp Mode" in otherwords like you said an emergency state when theres a problem with the car. If thats the case your car should show a service engine message and it should save some type of log file in the memory that the dealer can read out.

I mean if its consistant have the dealer keep it over night and let them see for themselves.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Euro IV 525d SE. Metallic Titanium Grey, Xenons, Active Sterring, 17inch alloys RFTs.

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='213175' date='Dec 19 2005, 04:03 PM
Does it happen everytime at start up? It sounds like the car went into "Limp Mode" in otherwords like you said an emergency state when theres a problem with the car. If thats the case your car should show a service engine message and it should save some type of log file in the memory that the dealer can read out.

I mean if its consistant have the dealer keep it over night and let them see for themselves.

Unfortunately its only after colder nights - it did it last winter but I put that down to me not knowing the car - this its done it twice - but its got to be cold - otherwise its fine.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 Titanium-Grey, Leather Dakota Black, 525d, Steptronic, Navi Prof & TV, Voice Input, Panorama ceiling, Xenon with dir, etc

Originally Posted by TurboukToo' post='213183

Unfortunately its only after colder nights - it did it last winter but I put that down to me not knowing the car - this its done it twice - but its got to be cold - otherwise its fine.
[/quote]
The behaviour you suggest, seems to me that the turbo is not kicking in for some reason. On purpose because it might be too cold and it could broke or a some kind of problem. By what you describe it looks like it is on purpose. But at least in -10 celcius my previous 320d was always 100%. I left it working for a couple of minutes before riding so that it could warm-up and i could remove the snow ;-)

Please keep us informed about the outcome (i have a 525d too, but temps never lower than 3 Celcius ;-) )
Old 12-19-2005, 08:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530 2006 msport package, steptronic, pdc, mystik blue, grey dakota leather, sunroof, Bi-Xenon, heated rear seats, Hi-FI system, velour carpets

No, sry to hear that. If you let the car just stand still with the engine on for a few minutes I should be OK.
Old 12-19-2005, 11:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 14th Oct 05 delivery, 525d SE Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Dark Poplar, Adaptive Xenon, Prof Radio, Prof Nav, 6 CD Changer, BT, Advanced A/C, Electric Seats, Heated Front Seats, Thru Load/Ski Bag

No problem so far down to -6 C
Old 12-20-2005, 08:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BigGrey' post='213194
Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='213175' date='Dec 19 2005, 04:03 PM

The behaviour you suggest, seems to me that the turbo is not kicking in for some reason. On purpose because it might be too cold and it could broke or a some kind of problem. By what you describe it looks like it is on purpose. But at least in -10 celcius my previous 320d was always 100%. I left it working for a couple of minutes before riding so that it could warm-up and i could remove the snow ;-)

Please keep us informed about the outcome (i have a 525d too, but temps never lower than 3 Celcius ;-) )
[/quote]

Just had a call from the dealer and they have identified (at last) a problem with the turbo - and have completely replaced it (under warranty). I'll get the car back tomorrow - so hopefully that will be it sorted. Thanks for the replies.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Maybe You need help. I have not have anything like that even in -25C. Hope You get problem solved.

Skaffa
Old 12-20-2005, 10:56 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 Titanium-Grey, Leather Dakota Black, 525d, Steptronic, Navi Prof & TV, Voice Input, Panorama ceiling, Xenon with dir, etc

Originally Posted by TurboukToo' post='213619' date='Dec 20 2005, 05:12 PM
Just had a call from the dealer and they have identified (at last) a problem with the turbo - and have completely replaced it (under warranty). I'll get the car back tomorrow - so hopefully that will be it sorted. Thanks for the replies.
Nice! I recognized the symptoms because i had a broken turbo in my VW TDI a few years ago .