E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E60 '07 530XI "everest" module need help

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 02:39 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '07 530 XI cold weather with nightvision( not that impressive)
Default E60 '07 530XI "everest" module need help

So not to long ago I had my 530xi in for a oil change, I made a inquiry about the day time running lights and how to shut them off, as I apparently didn't have that menu available in my I drive. So the service guy said leave it us for the day and they would do something with the OS of the I drive. When I picked the car up the lights were off ( and that menu option that's even listed in the hand book for the car still isn't there) and the Bluetooth and SOS said it had a malfunction. The service guy said let the car go into sleep mode and it would be fine......no so. He never even returned 5 calls to ask what they did, and the next oil change ( don't know why I still went beck there) I had them look at it and they told me that the module was "bad". Ive read that there could be potential issues with the OS now not recognizing the module?

Dealer quoted me 1100 to fix, my response to that is ARE YOU HIGH?! I took it up with BMW USA and there's nothing they can do so they say. Now since this OS change, my main I drive screen has gone from a light brown to light grey IDK if this is because of the new system, but I have a feeling that they F-ed something up and don't want to admit it, or didn't want to take the time to code the module. I tracked down the module in the trunk and snapped a few pics of it part # 232925 23.

My question is that if I'm able to find a replacement do I need this new one to be paired to the car or can it be plugged in and its all set? I don't know what OS I drive version they installed nor do I know how to find out what it potentially is. I've seen some parts on e-bay but reluctant to take that chance so I also ask if anyone has bought parts that way and have luck or ended up SOL. Before it worked great no issues paired fine with my droid 3 the wives droid razor and my new galaxy S4. Any help would be grateful!!
2007 530 XI
cold weather package
night vision ( ehhh prob needs new cam)----any one have one that works better than seeing the heat from a tail pipe less than 10 ft away?!
Old 12-04-2013, 02:52 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Not sure what "OS" work they did. Turning of DRLs on your car requires 15 minutes of coding. You won't see the option in iDrive because you have the first generation of LMA modules. If you want your DRLs off, you have to code it out of the module.

Sounds to me like someone made an error in coding and doesn't know how to reverse it. Turning off DRLs in an E60 is pretty 'coding 101'...it was the first thing I ever did when I was learning how to do it. They likely didn't fry anything.

I'd try to reach out to someone near you that is good with BMW coding. One thing I've learned about dealers is their suggested 'solutions' almost ALWAYS involve replacing something. They take a shotgun blast approach to just about everything, even simple problems. Start by having someone look at the strings that are in your LMA, TCU, and CAPPL modules before you start blindly replacing modules - that can get expensive.

Finally, I'll tell you my experience with coding BMWs is limited to the basic stuff; accessing modules and turning features on and off. I'm not sure how involved coding a new TCU would be if you in fact had to have it replaced. I'm still thinking you likely don't, but I could be wrong. There are people on this forum who are much more knowledgable in coding, hopefully they can chime in too.

good luck.

Last edited by KyleB; 12-04-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:21 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '07 530 XI cold weather with nightvision( not that impressive)

You know that feeling in your gut....you just gave it a high five, I had a feeling it was somthing to do with the code. I have located a few indedependant mechanics in my are. Only thing thats stopping me is that the holidays are upon us and I'm still recouping from a 1700 break job. I need the plugs done and the one garage that I've spoken to about it said plug job-400....dealer(rapist) 700.....give me a break. They said they would look in to bluetooth issue as they also do tuning and have the latest equipment. So as soon as I have updates they will be posted. I even went as far as looing into replaceing the entire system with one sold by a site called bimmernav. However I dont have 2500 bucks laying around to play with.

Last edited by urabus040; 12-06-2013 at 04:24 AM.