E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

E 60 550i Engine Shutters, hesitates when cold

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 09:28 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pukka
This is b/s. My 20 year old Camaro has EFI and idles fine in both open (cold start) and closed loop (warm). I've witnessed this problem and noticed that when the rough idle occurs the exhaust smells like the engine is running rich (too much fuel). Once the car warms up it idles fine. The cause is either a faulty sensor or bad programming and since there are no error codes BMW can get away with saying its "normal"

I'd bet any money that a brand new F10 doesn't do this.
I think even if you take a poll from us E60 owners, even the pre-lci models, at least 70% of us doesn't experience this problem, especially when you have to drive for couple of miles.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:01 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Orient blue '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, 6Speed MT, Xenon, Navi, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by sbrodecki
My 2008 550i 4.8 liter V8 engine hesitates and shutters when cold. When you first put the car in gear to go forward you can feel the engine hesitate or miss for the first mile or two until the engine warms up. Car has just over 52,000 miles. I did not have this issue when the car was newer. Niello BMW Shop Forman confirmed my compliant and said this was the normal warm up procedure for this engine, he found no engine codes. All okay at this time. This is unacceptable, this car did not have this issue for the first 40,000+ miles. Has any other owner experienced this problem and if so how did you fix it or do you still have it. Is there a BMW Tech Bullentin concerning this issue? Is this BMW's answer or just the Shop Forman answer?
I had the same problem on my 545i. It was running strange when cold (I didn't get any increased emission errors)

https://5series.net/forums/topic/853...ssion-no-more/

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...11&fg=15&hl=28

If that won't fix your problem, look for other vacuum leaks.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:58 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rctmthouse
+1

I'm surprised that both dealer and indy are saying that this is normal.
I go to BMW of Manhattan for service, hence the stupid ass answer. Being that I'm at 47K and almost out warranty they are trying there best to make excuses not to fix anything. I complained about the lag the last time I was in for service, and they kept the car for three days and just reset the transmission. The SA said that's how these car are, they hesitate for a second or two and then take off like a rocket. I too was baffled that the indy shop said that's how these big V8 perform until it's fully warmed.

Observation:
On Sunday I was at a cruising speed of about 65mph in "D" and decided to hammer it, as planted the throttle to the floor absolutely no kick down, just hesitation. I backed off the throttle, planted it once again to the floor, and with a hint of hesitation I felt the kick down rocketing the car off up to 90mph. I did the same thing in "DS" mode, and the kick down was instantaneous with almost no hesitation. This behavior is quiet quirky.

I'm going to another dealer with this issue, and hopefully I will have a resolve before my factory is out. I will also try another gas station, I currently use Sunoco.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:34 AM
Members

i've had a similar issue pop up in the past few weeks, but it seems to happen even after the car is well warmed up, and on hot days too - it hesitates and then lurches forward from a full stop, and one time it stalled out in traffic. not a good thing.

it runs fine when moving, on freeway, etc., and only does this when starting off from a full stop.

i have a 2005 545. i am in the process of replacing the spark plugs and the car has around 70,000 miles.

any and all ideas are welcome.