E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

DVD Sat Nav in a UK Nov 04 530

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 10:59 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Mystic Blue Nov 2004 5.30d SE :: Bluetooth :: Prof Nav :: TV :: Auto :: Beige Leather :: 18'' M Sport Alloys :: Folding Mirrors :: Headlight Washers

Hi All

So after a long drawn out saga (which I subjected you to reading about in a few post some months ago)

My dealer has offered me an "exchange".

There are 2 cars, one being nearly identical to mine and its a no cost exchange.

The other is going to cost me ?2k which is why I have these questions before I decide.

As above, 54 reg 530d SE with DVD sat nav (described as "media pack") and the TV option

My questions are:

Does anyone know for sure if the TV is digital, dealer is claiming they "think" it is and I dont want it to stop working when the UK switches of analogue telly ?

More importantly, what have been your experiences with their 2004 DVD Sat Nav system - ultimately this is the reason for the extra 2k and I am not wanting to shell out the money if the system is not great. Any limitations, known problem, frustrations ? (probably wouldnt have asked if it wasnt for Clarkson bashing BMW's navigation software)

Can anyone share your experiences please ?

Sorry dont know the SatNav version numbers etc
Old 04-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d E60

as far as I know, Clarkson bashed the nav system in an M5 but mainly hated the fact (he thought) that directions voice couldn't be turned off. It (she ) can be shut up, just takes a click or two on the i-drive.

for the rest: He's a Merc man, impatient as a car tester and too old for i-drive. He should do what he does best: talk about handling and finish compared to old cars. Because that's what the youngsters don't know about, as opposed to computer stuff.

professional Nav I find not worth the money. Post-LCI business nav (see other thread) in the UK seems to be cheap and good for that money (small map than professional) and offers everything you need at the moment. Remember that all built-in nav systems are outdated the moment they leave the factory and upgrades are usually minimal (see those put into the E39 series).

I'd put the extra money in whatever makes you want to drive the car (more comfort stuff for long distances, more performance stuff if you don't have many traffic jams and distance-cruise-control if you do)

edit: added link

edit: good point about re-sale value. I never bought a car to sell again but yes, can have an influence on buying decision.

edit: link doesn't seem to work here it is: http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=50238&hl=
Old 04-02-2008, 12:06 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Go for the car with the Sat Nav but on a 2nd hand car it shouldnt cost you 2K. You'll have a hard time selling the car on without it. In the Media Pack you only get the Prof Nav so thats good. The TV module in 2004 would be analogue only. The digital modules came out in late 2006. Don't worry, UK wont switch off analogue before your car will need to be switched. The Sat Nav in the cars today is the same as the one you'll get, so dont think you're buying something old, its as new as what you get today. You can get the dealer to throw in the 2008 DVD and a full software upgrade for you and then you are absolutely current.
Old 04-03-2008, 03:45 AM
Members

My Ride: Mystic Blue Nov 2004 5.30d SE :: Bluetooth :: Prof Nav :: TV :: Auto :: Beige Leather :: 18'' M Sport Alloys :: Folding Mirrors :: Headlight Washers

Guys, thanks for the replies.

I forgot to add that the car also has advanced climate control (not a major thing for me personally) but I guess this goes towards making up the 2k difference.

Also ,the car has done 17k less miles than mine (mine = 47k)

I agree that 2k is a bit high - hence asking my questions.

I have to bear in mind though...that the dealer is basically giving me back 100% of the sale price that I paid them for my car back in June 07, and not taking into account that I have done 12k miles since then.

oh dear....I may be convincing myself that this is a decent deal
Old 04-03-2008, 03:59 AM
Members

Get the one with the nav. I have Business navigation in a 2004 E61 and I find it's really good, especially with TMC (automatically diverts you around traffic jams).
I've come from using a TomTom and although the business nav isn't as fancy looking, it does exactly what you want it to do. Plus, being integrated it looks a whole lot better than something stuck to your windscreen.
It will make the car easier to sell on. If it's got the media pack I'm assuming that includes Bluetooth as well? If it has and the other car doesn't have it then this again is another reason to get the dearer one. Integrated Bluetooth is pretty much a must have these days.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:02 AM
Members

Forgot to say - you MUST make sure you get the latest 2008 Nav DVD. They're about ?200 to buy so you want to make sure you get the most up to date one now.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 530d Touring, May 2004

?2k is a big difference, but the mileage, climate and sat nav make it worth it to me

I also have 2004. Make sure the sat nav has the "3d perspective" view (silly clouds at the top and menu bar down the lhs). This is a software update, but came after 2004 build (most will have by now). Not an expert, but some theories that latest software a bit of a stress on the older hardware - hence I personally not pushing for software updates as may only cause more problems
But certainly push for the latest DVD as fiendishly expensive (circa 2 x TomTom complete!)
Old 04-04-2008, 05:25 AM
Members

Thanks to those who responded.

I decided to go for it so called the dealer

now they tell me that someone else is interested in the car so "may not be able to do such a good deal"

Thought I would type this message before I put on my boxing gloves and go round to the dealership

I should have bought a Kia
Old 04-04-2008, 01:42 PM
Members

I got the car.

Dealer is prep'ng it for sale on Monday and then its 1 week transfer over my number plate
Old 04-04-2008, 01:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by zimguy' post='556249' date='Apr 4 2008, 02:42 PM

I got the car.

Dealer is prep'ng it for sale on Monday and then its 1 week transfer over my number plate

Congrats, glad to hear you got things sorted out...