E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DVD+R readability problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 525d LCI - xenon, tv function,grey dakota leather,titanium silver,244 radial spokes.

I use the in-dash nav dvd player for my music. I burnt around 1.5gb of the 4.7gb DVD+R disc at first, all the songs showed up.
Now when I try and add new files to one of the folders or create a new folder/playlist it does not show up on the iDrive. Although the disc has been burnt properly as it's readable on my laptop and the newly added songs play perfectly.

How can i resolve this problem? I'm tired of burning new cds every time and find it easier to add songs to the dvd as and when needed.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:44 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Are you trying to use multi-session to add new files to the DVD? I don't think our drives like multi session discs. Try and burn a new DVD with all the old+new files and close the disc at the end and see what happens.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:13 AM
Members

My Ride: 525d LCI - xenon, tv function,grey dakota leather,titanium silver,244 radial spokes.

Yes, i think i did use multi session. Closing the disc will not solve the problem as I will not be able to add more tracks once done.
I want to be able to add tracks to the disc at a later stage too, looking for a solution to that.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:27 AM
MrG
Members

My Ride: Sept '03 530d SE: Titanium Silver, Black Dakota Leather, Steptronic Auto, Bluetooth Telephone Prep, 6-Disc Changer, Business Navigation, Sports Suspension, Active Steering, Star Spoke 123 8Jx18" + Run Flat Tyres.

Originally Posted by Sahil' post='711744' date='Nov 4 2008, 10:13 AM
Yes, i think i did use multi session. Closing the disc will not solve the problem as I will not be able to add more tracks once done.
I want to be able to add tracks to the disc at a later stage too, looking for a solution to that.
Sorry, but I don't know of a solution to this. My understanding is the same as bruce_mirada's ... i.e. the in-dash slot doesn't like multi-session disks (so cannot see anything written to the disk in subsequent "sessions"). Not what you'd like to hear, but I think you need to reburn the tracks to a new disks each time.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:11 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I agree with Bruce and MrG...multi-session discs are not supported by the car...
Old 11-04-2008, 04:43 AM
Members

My Ride: E60 530d SE Saloon M57 3.0d, Deep Sea Blue, Anthracite Linea cloth Z5K Visibility Package (522 Xenon Headlamps, 524 Adaptive Headlights, 502 Headlamp Washer System) Z5P Media Package (609 Navigation−system Professional, 612 BMW ConnectedDrive−Assist, 616 BMW ConnectedDrive−Online, 620 Voice Control System, 633 Bluetooth phone prep + telematics, 672 BMW 6 Disc CD Changer) 300 Space−Saver Spare Wheel 465 Through Load System 610 Head−up Display 654 DAB digital radio 6FL USB/audio interface

The other option is to try DVD-RW; I use them successfully in the Nav system for speed cams as I also did not want to keep burning discs everytime a new speed camera database was published. I just erase and rewrite the disc - don't know if it will work for MP3 as I use a 16GB memory stick in the usb socket for all my music. Good luck.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:57 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

In a multi-session the TOC is rewritten in another location and the car is designed to read the TOC only at the beginning so its ignoring all the other TOC versions. The DVD RW is a better solution because then you are effectively rewriting the entire disc again. But here again remember to do a full erase as opposed to a TOC (quick) erase because some systems don't like the left over data that is not overwritten from previous writes.
Old 11-04-2008, 03:53 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='711928' date='Nov 4 2008, 11:57 AM
In a multi-session the TOC is rewritten in another location and the car is designed to read the TOC only at the beginning so its ignoring all the other TOC versions. The DVD RW is a better solution because then you are effectively rewriting the entire disc again. But here again remember to do a full erase as opposed to a TOC (quick) erase because some systems don't like the left over data that is not overwritten from previous writes.
Have we established that an RW disc even works? I seem to remember that it did not work in my 2004 car -- I haven't tried it on my 2008 car since the 6FL pretty much makes it a moot point...
Old 11-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Members

Thanks for the replies!

Just got a DVD-RW to try if it resolves this.

@Nick: I have around 3.7gb to burn as of now, do I need to burn the entire disc the first time to enable admending later?
Old 11-04-2008, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Sahil' post='712637' date='Nov 5 2008, 12:23 AM
Thanks for the replies!

Just got a DVD-RW to try if it resolves this.

@Nick: I have around 3.7gb to burn as of now, do I need to burn the entire disc the first time to enable admending later?
You need to burn it using the "disc at once" feature -- in other words, the disc has to be closed for further writing of additional sessions.

When you're ready to update or change the contents of the RW disc, you'll need to erase it and re-burn it using the same, disc at once setting...

Quick Reply: DVD+R readability problem